CHPT3?

Taylor1968
Taylor1968 Posts: 16
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
What's the word please?
Better than Rapha and Castelli?
Should I be spending my birthday cash here or in the Rapha shop?

Best, David

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Taylor1968 wrote:
    What's the word please?
    Better than Rapha and Castelli?
    Should I be spending my birthday cash here or in the Rapha shop?

Best, David

There's a 3 page thread already on this subject I think

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13105143
  • Taylor1968
    Taylor1968 Posts: 16
    There's a 3 page thread already on this subject I think

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13105143[/quote]

yes I had found that and read it. Two and a half pages of character assassination of DM, most of the rest about a specific item, one useful post. Does anybody else have more than one item and can compare/contrast against the Rapha stuff?
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    it's higher end castelli - if you like that then you'll like this
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I bought a sweatshirt and tee from them over the weekend. Still no sign of it been despatched.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Bought one of their short sleeve jerseys in a recent sale. Although made by castelli, the quality is definitely better than my other castelli jerseys. It isn't a race fit jersey but was very comfortable and practical for a long day on the bike.

Overall, I'm very happy for the price I paid, but wouldn't pay full price.
  • ttf
    ttf Posts: 10
    Hopefully I can help - I'm quite the fan of CHPT3 and have bought a few things from them over the years now. It feels altogether special, especially when compared to Rapha, for two main reasons:

1. The quality is simply higher. I was a Rapha lover from the start, but this stuff just feels a million dollars. The chamois pads are the most comfortable I've ever had, the fabric more robust, the finishing details more elegant.
    2. It's not Rapha! You don't feel like you're in a flock of sheep, all just buying the same stuff and bumping into people wearing the same jersey. Rapha used to feel special, CHPT3 have now taken that mantle.

They seem to get a bit of stick for being expensive but I think that's a historic thing (they launched initially with a £200 jersey). For example, their Girona stuff is some of my favourite (£110 bibs, £100 jersey) and super high quality - unlike lots of things, you do actually get what you pay for.

I think the key thing is it just feels more special and like someone's put a bit of care and love into a cycling kit which is refreshing with the way the rest of the market seems to be going.
  • PlodderD
    PlodderD Posts: 10
    ttf wrote:
    Hopefully I can help - I'm quite the fan of CHPT3 and have bought a few things from them over the years now. It feels altogether special, especially when compared to Rapha, for two main reasons:

1. The quality is simply higher. I was a Rapha lover from the start, but this stuff just feels a million dollars. The chamois pads are the most comfortable I've ever had, the fabric more robust, the finishing details more elegant.
    2. It's not Rapha! You don't feel like you're in a flock of sheep, all just buying the same stuff and bumping into people wearing the same jersey. Rapha used to feel special, CHPT3 have now taken that mantle.

They seem to get a bit of stick for being expensive but I think that's a historic thing (they launched initially with a £200 jersey). For example, their Girona stuff is some of my favourite (£110 bibs, £100 jersey) and super high quality - unlike lots of things, you do actually get what you pay for.

I think the key thing is it just feels more special and like someone's put a bit of care and love into a cycling kit which is refreshing with the way the rest of the market seems to be going.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I’ll take the plunge I think and buy a shirt and some shorts out of the sale.
  • spannerdude
    spannerdude Posts: 56
    I bought a one more lap jersey and it is very good quality,
    And it’s fits perfectly, have ordered the maonzamilano jersey
    Bit fat for the bibs :cry:

Thinking of buying the JJ later
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    gsk82 wrote:
    I bought a sweatshirt and tee from them over the weekend. Still no sign of it been despatched.

Yes. Very slow to deliver compared to the rest nowadays. I bought a musette. Took too long to deliver and there is nothing special about it. Really don't understand the fuss. And it was half price.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    cougie wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Yes. Very slow to deliver compared to the rest nowadays. I bought a musette. Took too long to deliver and there is nothing special about it. Really don't understand the fuss. And it was half price.

I emailed them about it yesterday. 5 days after the order they've still not despatched it despite it showing as in stock.

I ordered items on the same night from wiggle and westbrook. One was here Tuesday, the other Wednesday. Cafe du Cycliste despatched an order within an hour yesterday.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ttf
    cougie wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

What were you expecting to be overly special about a half price musette, out of interest? Some of their sale stuff seems to be on back order which I found to be quite clearly shown (it says please allow 10 days for dispatch).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What is the sizing like compared to Castelli - same or ..?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ttf
    What is the sizing like compared to Castelli - same or ..?
    Similar in my experience - best off just going with your non-cycling clothing size (e.g. jeans waist) and using their inch sizing guide - I’ve found it to be pretty accurate. They do say to size up if comfort is your ultimate priority though.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ttf wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

What were you expecting to be overly special about a half price musette, out of interest? Some of their sale stuff seems to be on back order which I found to be quite clearly shown (it says please allow 10 days for dispatch).

one would expect it to be as special as one of their full price musettes which, given the general price of stuff on that site you would expect to be utterly amazing.

#overpriced
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What makes would the collective wisdom on here consider high quality but reasonably priced? I'm looking for stuff for long day rides rather than racing so quality construction and possibly slightly thicker material. Some of the Chpt3 stuff looked to fit the bill and the sale prices not too bad - not sure about the colours though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    big fan of Lusso here. very good quality, good prices, unpretentious.

but then again, the MFs like a plain kit, preferably in black.

#ninja
    #stealth
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Big fan of LaPassione https://www.lapassione.cc/, especially their classic shorts for £84
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    btwins good.
  • PlodderD
    PlodderD Posts: 10
    So my loverly CHPT3 jersey turned up today. Ordered on Friday night of a Bank holiday weekend and arrived on Thursday. Not quite Amazon Prime but certainly not too shabby. Bloody lovely it is too, I have to say. Shame it is a bit too small, rather tight actually and the bigger sizes now all sold out. Might have to keep it to help with the weight loss motivation!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    FYI - Some sale items have just been restocked.
    Just picked up a pair of 1.16 bibs with the Progetto X2 Pad at 1/2 price in 33" that was previously sold out. 8)

Edit - If you didn’t get your order in then you are too late.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.