Good value carbon wheels

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Looking to get a 2nd disc wheelset for longer rides in the evenings and with the gang on Sunday. Never having ridden carbon wheels before I would like to give them a bash, I like the deep section look and as we know aero does count! but I can't justify dropping £1000s on a set of ZIPP/VISION etc. I can however justify around £400.

Obviously for that money I could get some Alu wheels that are decent weight but they will be shallow section - As far as I know 40+mm section alu wheels for disc brakes don't exist.

Several carbon wheelsets are available online from various far east manufacturers for around that price - some that stand out for me so far are:

ICAN - 45mm disc wheelset, 1420g and rider limit 105kg, 2 year warranty
SUPERTEAM - 42mm disc wheelset, 1530g and rider limit 110kg, 2 year warranty

Both sellers state that the wheels meet EN14781 for Quality Control

Both have standard QR front and back and are reasonably wide. Either of the above would drop nearly 1KG of rotational weight from my current crap wheels. The current wheels would be used for winter/foul weather riding.

Prime does a 38mm set for £449 but its heavier and seems to only have a 1 year warranty.

Anyone ever used either of the above brands ? Are they decent ?

My concern is getting something that has a proven track record ?

Thoughts , Any other ideas ?

Comments

• OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    To be honest with your budget I think you would be better buying a better quality set of alu wheels than cheap carbon.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Does your work do a cycle to work scheme?

Tax savings are better if you buy an item which costs less than £500 anyway.

Otherwise perhaps look second hand or stretch to the Prime wheels - problem with the far eastern wheels is the risk of being hit by import duty to put the price back up.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I would be looking at far eastern imports with your budget, but even that might be stretched. If you're after the aero benefits, I'd also think you need somewhere in the region of 50mm at least. I have both 40mm and 65mm wheels, previously had lots of 50mm. There is a performance difference the deeper you go, but also in cheaper wheels, a weight penalty.
    Example of far eastern wheels here....
    https://www.yoeleobike.com/disc-brake-c ... b-std.html

MatthewFalle from here is a long term user of far eastern wheels, hopefully he will be along soon with other suggestions.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yoeleo actually get some excellent reviews as well.

Farsports and Light Bicycle are the place to go. You can spec quite a detailed wheel.
  • neilkav1
    neilkav1 Posts: 91
    Www.baxcarbon.co.uk

Had mine 2 years or so never had an issue - 2 year warranty too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    w00dster wrote:
    I would be looking at far eastern imports with your budget, but even that might be stretched. If you're after the aero benefits, I'd also think you need somewhere in the region of 50mm at least. I have both 40mm and 65mm wheels, previously had lots of 50mm. There is a performance difference the deeper you go, but also in cheaper wheels, a weight penalty.
    Example of far eastern wheels here....
    https://www.yoeleobike.com/disc-brake-c ... b-std.html

MatthewFalle from here is a long term user of far eastern wheels, hopefully he will be along soon with other suggestions.

Ah shucks :)

Agree completely with comments above re depth/aero.

I see wheels as a disposable item so use "good" carbon deep rims all year round - so long as you hose them down after using in ganky weather all is cool. I'm also pretty hard on them and can see through marketing bullshyt.

Suggestions as per the thread, however in addition, I've used:

Carbonzone off the 'Bay ( 50/50, 50/60 and 80/80 - or they could be 90/90. Who knows...) for years for racing, training communting, going to the shops etc - faultless. Light, spin well, roll really nicely, bomb proof and none of the fabled delamination even after a week of bombing down the Alps at 100km/h+ and weeks of using them in the Abruzzo mountains.

The 80s (or are they 90s - not sure) are on my S3 in the "Readers Rides" bit of the forum so you can see what they look like). Not too bad weight wise but the 50s/60s are actually very light indeed.

Wet weather braking is fine - nothing to blow your socks off but fine - you stop very well, progressive, all that jazz.

Planet X are also an option - very well priced, really nice and light, easy to get bits - I've iused their 50s for racing (Cat 2 & 1) and training with British Championship winners, Commonwealth Games and World Tri level guys 'n' girls and they are now my summer holiday home wheels - perfect. Have needed one set of bearings in 10 years and tens of thousands of K in all weathers. Never been trued and still perfect.

Planet X still sell their own branded and also sell Selcof wheels, however knowing Planet X they are the same ones so just choose the colour you like best.

Farsports are very well recommend (I've had a pair in the past and all very cool - never had a problem) as are Prime from Wiggle. I was about to buy some of these but spent the money on blow and hos in Belize instead.

Planet X were also knocking out Campy Bora with Shimano hubs for £700 or so a while ago, so they may still have some left.

I've never had any difficulties on the wind with the above wheels - the 80 front can get a bit wiggly in real gusty but just throw a 50 or 60 on before you leave the house and all is well.

They all use the same Sapim spokes and Novatec hubs as more expensive brands.

My caveat is that I only use tubs and caliper brakes but I can't see why anything should change because its disc.

Avoid Hunt because they are just the above with a Hunt sticker on them and a £400 mark up - average wheel, not worth the extra at all. Nothing at all to make them stand out. I've built two bikes with Hunt wheels anf for athousand pound wheelset... well, there are some big windows at Hunt...... Do a search on here for posts passim and you'll see a lot of people say the same.

Overall carbon wheels are cooler, more fun, better noises, look better and are lighter than ali, so as a spare pair you have no reason not to. As you are running disc, you have no reason not to use them all year round tbh.

Hope that helps - anything else you need shout anytime.

#deeprim
    #shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
    #Boonenridesdeeprim
    #belikeBoonen
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Sorry for late reply - Been on hols!

Thanks for all the links , Will check them out.

:)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    My rim brake Primes have been fine, no issues whatsoever - picked them up for £450 about a year ago. The 50mm disc brake versions look good value:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v2 ... -wheelset/

Of course you have the relative comfort of a UK retailer - easier for returns etc
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Get some nice rims or complete wheels from these people
    https://www.lightbicycle.com