Is worth replacing Sora R3000 GS for 105 5700 GS

pinchez
pinchez Posts: 76
edited May 2019 in Workshop
My wife as recently taken up cycling and bought her first road bike last year - Specialized Allez Sport E5 which came with Sora R3000 GS, Axis Brakes and wheels. I’ve already replaced the Axis wheels with Mavic Aksium Race wheels which she’s pleased with but I’m toying with the idea of swapping over my 105 5700 including 105 brakes and 5800 crankset which I currently use on my Zwift bike (think Sora will be fine for Zwifting) the only expense I’ll incur is for 2 full sets of cables and possibly bar tape but is it worth the effort?

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    even though the sora is much newer, the 105 will still be slightly better quality and durability overall, unless its really worn out in which case stick with the sora
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    pinchez wrote:
    My wife as recently taken up cycling and bought her first road bike last year - Specialized Allez Sport E5 which came with Sora R3000 GS, Axis Brakes and wheels. I’ve already replaced the Axis wheels with Mavic Aksium Race wheels which she’s pleased with but I’m toying with the idea of swapping over my 105 5700 including 105 brakes and 5800 crankset which I currently use on my Zwift bike (think Sora will be fine for Zwifting) the only expense I’ll incur is for 2 full sets of cables and possibly bar tape but is it worth the effort?

It’s worth the minor cost for the exercise itself. Plus your wife will notice you’ve made an effort to make sure she’s got the best bike possible. Everyone’s happy.
  • lemonenema
    It’s worth the minor cost for the exercise itself. Plus your wife will notice you’ve made an effort to make sure she’s got the best bike possible. Everyone’s happy

The 105 5700 came out in 2010 whereas the Sora R3000 is the current model. Might not be a lot in it except styling and durability - but that depends on how well used the 9yr old components are
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd just swap the brakes (definitely better) and the chainset (definitely lighter). The rest of it will be a lot of effort for an extra sprocket and little else.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    I have both (in fact 5700 on two bikes) - The years haven't been kind to 5700, it requires more effort to shift so apart from it's 10 speed I wouldn't bother.
  • pinchez
    Thanks guys, the 105 5700 came with my 2013 Canyon Roadlite AL 6 which is now my Zwift bike, I did replace the chainset with the 105 5800 last year just to make it look a bit more modern! as I was using it as a winter bike at the time. Essentially it’s all in excellent condition and changes gear very smoothly. I quite like the idea of just swapping over brakes and chainset as it will give the bike a bit of a lift without much work or spending money on cables etc.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Jeez buy her a proper group set. Less of this re purposing of trashed junk
  • lemonenema
    hey! dont live in a throwaway society, weve only got one planet you know, not everything is about money
    reuse, repair, recycle, replace.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    If it were me I would let her serve her apprenticeship on the Sora then when it starts to wear move to something better, I doubt she needs another gear or the feel of a better groupset and will go through poor (user) changes, maybe falls or bike falling over, all the things we go through in our first years.

I have Sora on my Whyte gravel bike and have been amazed how good it is and through the years had 9-speed Dura Ace, 10 speed SRAM Rival, 10 speed Ultegra and currently on various bikes I have Sora, DA9000, 9-speed Campag Record TI, 10 speed Veloce and 11 speed Chorus. They are all good so for me if she sticks with cycling she can make a choice later amongst all the mechanical, electronic and Hydro choices when it's all more intuitive.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    paul64 wrote:
    If it were me I would let her serve her apprenticeship on the Sora then when it starts to wear move to something better, I doubt she needs another gear or the feel of a better groupset and will go through poor (user) changes, maybe falls or bike falling over, all the things we go through in our first years.

I have Sora on my Whyte gravel bike and have been amazed how good it is and through the years had 9-speed Dura Ace, 10 speed SRAM Rival, 10 speed Ultegra and currently on various bikes I have Sora, DA9000, 9-speed Campag Record TI, 10 speed Veloce and 11 speed Chorus. They are all good so for me if she sticks with cycling she can make a choice later amongst all the mechanical, electronic and Hydro choices when it's all more intuitive.

"serve her apprenticeship"

wtaf are you on about Willis?

#bizarre
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinchez
    She only has this one bike and plans to use it through summer then in winter it will become and stay as her winter bike and next spring she plans to buy a nice Liv bike :)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    #runwhatyoubrung

maybe replace the brakes, or at least put decent pads in.
  • Alejandrosdog
    If it’s not aero with deep section carbon wheels and 28mm tubeless it’s a death trap filling rattler anyway