Giro 2019, Stage 17: Commezzadura - Anterselva/Antholz 180 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
NB: This is the last stage thread from me, as I'm off to Italy for a few days.

Stage 17: Commezzadura - Anterselva/Antholz 180 km

Wednesday, May 29th

START TIME: 12.20 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

The 17th stage of the Giro d'Italia travels from Commezzadura in the Val di Sole to Anterselva. The route amounts to 181 kilometres.

MMxnNUP.jpg?1

The riders will take in a succession of climbs and descents, with categorised summits in Elvas and Terento, leading to the foot of the final climb in Anterselva/Antholz.

G19_T17_Anterselva_alt_jpg-1.jpg

The Val di Sole – or Sole Valley – ends on the Tonale Pass before descending to Ponte di Legno, but the riders go the other way in stage 17. The route descends slightly to Lago di Santa Giustina before it goes uphill on the easy side of the Passo della Mendola (8.4 kilometres at 4.5%).

G19_T17_S01_Mendola_SAL_jpg.jpg

Following a long downhill to Bolzano a prolonged false flat of 45 kilometres runs to a short climb to Elvas (3.4 kilometres at 7.6%).

G19_T17_S02_Elvas_SAL_jpg.jpg

A gentle descent and it goes back up again to Terento, which is also a climb with a 7.6% gradient, but this one is longer: 6.6 kilometres. The middle part is toughest.

G19_T17_S03_Terento_SAL_jpg.jpg

The riders fly down to Brunico before the last 27.5 kilometres are all uphill.
Final kilometres The final climb is very demanding, as the road slopes at an average 8.5% gradient from 5.5 km to the finish until the red flag. After a short ascent, the route reaches the cross-country skiing track at the Biathlon stadium, then drops for 100 metres through the tunnel that passes under the road, to finally enter the stadium. The home straight (110 m) is on 6.5 m wide tarmac, after the shooting range.

G19_T17_Anterselva_ukm_jpg.jpg

Favourites 17th 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Richard Carapaz, Mikel Landa, Vincenzo Nibali
** Miguel Ángel López, Simon Yates,
* Mikel Nieve, Joe Dombrowski, Fausto Masnada, Ben O’Connor

COMMEZZADURA (Val di Sole)

Commezzadura is a town in Trentino (Italy) with 1.020 inhabitants, formed by the separate hamlets of Mestriago (where the city hall is based), Mastellina, Deggiano, Daolasa, Almazzago and Piano. Back in time, the main economical sources of those villages were based on animal farming and forestry: today, Commezzadura has its main focus on tourism, both in Summer and Winter time, mainly targeting active vacation and outdoor sports lovers.

commezzadura-4.jpg

ANTERSELVA/ANTHOLZ

Rasen-Anterselva (Rasen-Antholz in German) is an Italian municipality of 2.903 inhabitants of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano in Trentino-Alto Adige, whose altitude varies from 926 m to 3.436 m. The valley is known for years as one of the stops of the biathlon World Cup. The name Rasen means “swamp” and is attested as Resine or Rasine in 1050-1065, Niderräsen in 1353. The German word Antholz means “opposite” (ant) “to the wood” (Holz).
At the end of the Anterselva Valley, in the heart of the Vedrette di Ries-Aurina Nature Park, lies the turquoise and romantic Lake Anterselva. The new nature trail leads around the lake, which, with a depth of 33 meters and an area of about 44 ha, stands as the third largest lake in South Tyrol. In the Anterselva Valley there is the renowned Biathlon and cross-country skiing center Südtirol Arena Alto Adige, often home to the Biathlon World Cup and in 2020 of the World Championship. Surrounded by the peaks of the Vedrette di Ries and in the immediate vicinity of the Lake Anterselva, the landscape has much to show and creates the perfect setting for biathlon athletes and cross-country skiers.

from-the-village-of-anterselva--antholz--to-cima-dei-can-pi--knebelstein--peak-mountain-hiking-rasun--rasen--in-anterselva-valley-valle-anterselva-antholzertal-south-tyrol.jpg

GASTRONOMY

The Valley of Anterselva is famous for its typical South Tyrolean dishes. Tasty and traditional dishes, served in original, typically regional places. You can also taste the traditional and crunchy Schüttelbrot bread, good cheese and smoked bacon, accompanied by a good glass of wine.

South-Tyrol-Alpine-Cookbook.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    You off to see it?
  • blazing_saddles
    You off to see it?

Unfortunately not. Sicily. Hopefully, it won't be raining there.
  • rick_chasey
    Sounds nicer mate. Enjoy. Load up on your Arancini, caponata and obviously Nero d’Avola
  • Well I for one am very disappointed in your lack of preparation. You could have had the threads all pre done ready to post!

(Not really, as ever your GT stage spoiler thread posts have been fantastic and are a must read for me every day. Truly appreciated!)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Nice one .cheers for the threads .top shelf work.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Good opportunity for contador here
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • archieboy
    archieboy Posts: 1,293
    Cheers BS, have a good un.
  • rick_chasey

*like*
  • blazing_saddles
    Sounds nicer mate. Enjoy. Load up on your Arancini, caponata and obviously Nero d’Avola

I'll still be around for tomorrow's stage.
    That's a deffo on all of the above for me.
    Found out this evening that there's a place in town that does a nice line in arancini, which I will also try when I get back.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Is he going to do the threads for the last few stages?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    :mrgreen:
  • blazing_saddles
    Well I for one am very disappointed in your lack of preparation. You could have had the threads all pre done ready to post!

(Not really, as ever your GT stage spoiler thread posts have been fantastic and are a must read for me every day. Truly appreciated!)

I tell you what, if I get all the stuff done that has to be done before I depart, I'll try and knock out a thread for stage 20.
    It's the only one left that really interests me. No promises mind.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    You off to see it?

Make sure you get back for 8th June!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95 wrote:

Greatest stage thread writer of his generation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Thanks a lot for the informative thread openings; hope you enjoy a good break in Sicily.
    Don't forget to have some Marsala (whether as drink or in a meal = Scaloppine al Marsala) and to try the special type of chocolate Modica is famous for - cocoa beans are slightly warmed, ground to smithereens and then blended with sugar granules (Modica is near the southernmost tip).
    The German word Antholz means “opposite” (ant) “to the wood” (Holz).
    Not sure about this; 'Ant' in the sense of 'opposite' only exists in German in the derivation of the word 'Antwort' (= reply), not in any other words.
    I would say that the 't' in Antholz is there for reasons of euphony (phonetic change for ease of pronunciation), so the place name is really Anholz, 'an' meaning 'in' or 'at', 'holz meaning 'wood'. So the village name is better translated as 'In the woods'. This also makes sense since ancient records indicate the valley to have once been very heavily forested.
    (Another German word which has a 't' added to it for reasons of euphony is 'entlang' = along).
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851

I'll still be around for tomorrow's stage.
    That's a deffo on all of the above for me.
    Found out this evening that there's a place in town that does a nice line in arancini, which I will also try when I get back.

Surely you can do a starter thread for each day of your hols...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Greatest stage thread writer of his generation.

Would’ve been - if it wasn’t for that pesky eating tainted arancini incident in one of the later stages.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    knedlicky wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the informative thread openings; hope you enjoy a good break in Sicily.
    Don't forget to have some Marsala (whether as drink or in a meal = Scaloppine al Marsala) and to try the special type of chocolate Modica is famous for - cocoa beans are slightly warmed, ground to smithereens and then blended with sugar granules (Modica is near the southernmost tip).
    The German word Antholz means “opposite” (ant) “to the wood” (Holz).
    Not sure about this; 'Ant' in the sense of 'opposite' only exists in German in the derivation of the word 'Antwort' (= reply), not in any other words.
    I would say that the 't' in Antholz is there for reasons of euphony (phonetic change for ease of pronunciation), so the place name is really Anholz, 'an' meaning 'in' or 'at', 'holz meaning 'wood'. So the village name is better translated as 'In the woods'. This also makes sense since ancient records indicate the valley to have once been very heavily forested.
    (Another German word which has a 't' added to it for reasons of euphony is 'entlang' = along).
    Thanks Blazing!

That chocolate really isn't that great. It has a somewhat interesting texture, quite similar to some vegan chocolates in it's graininess, but taste wise it's rather sub par. Nowhere near Valrhona Guanaja or even Lindt Les Grandes (dark) for example.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross wrote:
    You off to see it?

Make sure you get back for 8th June!

I'll be in touch when we get back. :wink:
    knedlicky wrote:

Modica is in the plans as we are heading in that direction for a few days.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    M.R.M. wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    try the special type of chocolate Modica is famous for - cocoa beans are slightly warmed, ground to smithereens and then blended with sugar granules
    That chocolate really isn't that great. It has a somewhat interesting texture, quite similar to some vegan chocolates in it's graininess, but taste wise it's rather sub par. Nowhere near Valrhona Guanaja or even Lindt Les Grandes (dark) for example.
    You're right, in taste Modica chocolate isn't anywhere near on a par with chocolate like Valrhona Guanaja or Hachez Premier Cru. But I still think it worth experiencing because of its different texture due to its unconventional preparation method.
  • m.r.m.
    Oh absolutely!
  • rick_chasey
    Break of the day

1#16PETERS Nans +1:45:14
    2#26MASNADA Fausto +26:25
    3#28VENDRAME Andrea +1:39:32
    4#54MAESTRI Mirco +3:15:40
    5#64FORMOLO Davide +11:51
    6#71ANTUNES Amaro +1:45:36
    7#73DE LA PARTE Víctor +27:46
    8#84JUNGELS Bob +51:04
    9#98KANGERT Tanel +31:19
    10#115NEILANDS Krists +3:06:07
    11#124DE GENDT Thomas +1:43:40
    12#134CHAVES Esteban +1:17:00
    13#172BOUWMAN Koen +1:21:30
    14#192BAKELANTS Jan +1:15:56
    15#194HAMILTON Chris +1:10:52
    16#205CONCI Nicola +2:25:55
    17#214CONTI Valerio +37:22
  • mididoctors
    Masnada again.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    With the gap as it is and the quality of riders in the peloton, this may well be won by the breakway and Formolo could haul himself right into the top 10.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The state of Bakelant's socks
  • Has anyone had to deal with 'Eurosport player not available in this country - try again'?
    I am at my wife's parents' place in Hay-on-Wye, though v much on the English side, and being forced to watch the stage in Welsh.
  • Is there anything going on or are we not expecting today to be very selective?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Carthy is doing really well
  • m.r.m.
    Maglia rosa group 5 minutes behind. Not much going on this stage. Smallish attacks, but doesn't seem a big deal for GC today.
  • rick_chasey
    I have never heard of this guy.