Tour of Britain 2019

r0bh
r0bh Posts: 2,163
edited September 2019 in Pro race
Route just announced: https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/2019-to ... -revealed/

Stage one: Glasgow to Kirkcudbright (201.5km), Saturday 7 September

Stage two: The Scottish Borders stage (166.5km), Sunday 8 September

Stage three: Berwick-upon-Tweed to Newcastle-upon-Tyne (182.2km), Monday 9 September

Stage four: Gateshead to Kendal (171.5km), Tuesday 10 September

Stage five: The Wirral Stage (174km), Wednesday 11 September

Stage six: The Worcestershire stage (distance TBC), Thursday 12 September

Stage seven: Warwick to Burton Dassett Country Park (186.5km), Friday 13 September

Stage eight: Altrincham to Deansgate, Manchester (165km), Saturday 14 September

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    We have the shoot small race thread for this :)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    I'm liking the final stage as I live halfway between Altrincham and Manchester :)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    r0bh wrote:
    I'm liking the final stage as I live halfway between Altrincham and Manchester :)

I live in Heaton Moor so while it doesn't come right past my house it's pretty close... Cycle out through Cheadle etc. all the time, where the route goes.

Looks like a nice route to go to the start, see the teams etc and then see the finish on Deansgate. Plenty of time to get between the two.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Stage Four! Great romp over the Pennines on my home turf.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    nothing down south :(

Would've taken Little Slowbike to see otherwise ...
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    r0bh wrote:

Surely its not going down Washway Rd ! :shock:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Tour of the North, not Britain.
  • bobmcstuff
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    And Scotland, and the Midlands...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dorset Boy wrote:

It's a bit of meh parcours, I'll give you that. They really should head over to your neck of the woods at some point.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    It's an 8 stage race, and people moan every year that it "isn't come to my neck of the woods".
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    The 'Worcester' stage comes as close to Gloucester as makes no difference, so I'm happy. Never considered myself a Northerner before :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Hmmm. Sun Rising Hill beckons on the Friday stage 7...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    dodgy wrote:
    It's an 8 stage race, and people moan every year that it "isn't come to my neck of the woods".

this, exactly. its down to the partnerships etc. some people are more accommodating. Surreys probably miles behind the curve...
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I was just looking at the Womens Tour and thinking "It's all in South England and Wales".....
    So the Mens Tour up North seems fair enough to me.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's a FAQ section for the whingers who complain each year that it misses out such and such an area.

Do they have a poor understanding of geography, cycle races or both ?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    cougie wrote:
    There's a FAQ section for the whingers who complain each year that it misses out such and such an area.

Do they have a poor understanding of geography, cycle races or both ?

I'm only commenting as it's a good race to go and watch - but not being anywhere near makes it not possible for us this year.
    We're not going out to see a TdF stage this year either - logistics once more ...
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    dodgy wrote:

Good, my KOMs hopefully safe a bit longer :D
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    dodgy wrote:

The tdy climbed over one of my kom segments this year... I'm still kom BOOM!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    gsk82 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

The tdy climbed over one of my kom segments this year... I'm still kom BOOM!

Nice one! I don't kid myself, I'm a small fish in a very small pond around here so any KOMs I get are due to the planets aligning correctly regarding weather, traffic etc. They are however the result of normal rides, there's one particular cyclist around here who just targets KOMS. He'll do a "ride" of 3 miles just to pick off certain segments etc with wind. Kinda funny but also a bit sad. He's a good cyclist but he'll put comments in like "quick ride after work" and does a 2.5 mile ride to get a KOM. Starting miles from where he lives. :lol:
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The Wirral stage dives into my bit of Cheshire, might have to try to see them out there.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Excellent route. I missed it when it finished in Tatton Park a few years ago so will be good to wander 5 mins from my house and go and see it!
  • dodgy
    The Wirral stage is good if you're really into watching the race (I'm not particularly), because you can criss cross the peninsula by bike and see them multiple times.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Up the Rake in Ramsbottom too - I grew up around there, vague memories of the Milk Race coming up that climb. Saturday too, so good chance I can get over, see my folks and cheer them on.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Given how well attended the London finish was last year I'm surprised not to see it doing the same this year. Having said that, it is good to have the race visiting different parts of the country each year.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    larkim wrote:
    ... good chance I can get over, see my folks and cheer them on.

They are riding the TOB?? Give them a wave from me
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    A quintessentially Tour de North Britain.
    I guess that there's no money in the south to host a Start/Finish.
    I've always maintained that a Dorset stage would be both challenging and picturesque.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • dodgy
    I guess the south didn't want it enough.
  • bobmcstuff
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A quintessentially Tour de North Britain.
    I guess that there's no money in the south to host a Start/Finish.
    I've always maintained that a Dorset stage would be both challenging and picturesque.
    Again, apart from the bits in Scotland and the Midlands...

Why is it that Southerners* always call everything north of the m4 the North...

*I am one myself, I just happen to live in Manchester these days...
  • bobmcstuff
    Warwick is pretty much the south as far as I'm concerned anyway, it's pretty posh for the Midlands.
  • bobmcstuff
    squired wrote:
    Given how well attended the London finish was last year I'm surprised not to see it doing the same this year. Having said that, it is good to have the race visiting different parts of the country each year.
    I expect the Manchester finish will also be well attended. Everyone on my bike club whatsapp and half the people on my local friends whatsapp seem quite excited (I'm not entirely sure that all of my friends know that it's not connected with the tour de france though)

I'm sure itll be back finishing in London next year anyway.