Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0, lighter than the rest?

sebdangerfield
sebdangerfield Posts: 41
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
The Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 is quoted at 7kg. It's quite hard to find weights for other bikes at roughly the same level, but when I've asked shops that sell them, the Ultimate seems a fair bit ahead of the competition in terms of weight (and a bit cheaper).

CF SL 8.0 is the 'entry' level ultimate frame (ie not the top level six), with rim brakes, mechanical Ultegra, an aero cockpit, and DT Swiss spline 1800 wheels. Other similar bikes, eg Ultegra versions of TCR advanced pro , Ridley Helium X, Trek Emonda, seem to be closer to 8kg.

So, questions -
- Is the Ultimate really that much lighter than the competition, or are bike shops just giving a more honest weight?
- If it is that much lighter, what's driving the difference? (There doesn't seem to be one or two things that are loads lighter)

I probably shouldn't worry too much about 0.5-1kg difference, but I'd like to feel as much difference as possible from my soon to be winter bike, which is quoted just under 9kg and is about 9.25 with pedals and cages. And I've vague ambitions to enter some hill climb tts one day.

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Probably, is the answer, in a particular size. But it is going to be light.

TCR Pro is sub 7.5 I'd think, the non pro is only just above that. Emonda is 7.3kg in size 56.

So, if Canyon have measured a small, then, pretty much, they're all the same weight.

Crucially, you will not notice that at all between each of them.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Another candidate for consideration is the Rose X-Lite 4. The Ultegra version is priced slightly above the Canyon at £2177 but Rose do quote weights of 6.8kg for the 57cm model without pedals. They indicate that the quoted weight may vary +/- 5%

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite ... ra-2661720

I have the 105 version bought last October and can verify that was bike is sub 7kg without pedals on delivery
  • Ooh, that Rose looks nice. I'll definitely consider it.

How have you found it? Any obvious reason to prefer it/the canyon?
  • Crucially, you will not notice that at all between each of them.

Thanks, probably should just go for the one I like the look of most :)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    As an indication, I have a 5 year old Ultimate SL 9.0 with mainly 6800 on it, only difference being an R8000 RD and a Stages PM on it. I swapped the wheels for Hunts (link below) and the tyres are Conti GP 4000 RS. When it has nothing on, no cages, no Wahoo mount etc the bike weighed 7.2kg.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ooh, that Rose looks nice. I'll definitely consider it.

How have you found it? Any obvious reason to prefer it/the canyon?

Really enjoying riding it. Replaced a Plant X Pro Carbon that I built from a frame bought back in 2017. Feels much smoother than the PX and also takes 28mm tyres without any problems whereas the clearances on the Pro Carbon frame were marginal at best.

Have replaced the DT Swiss wheelset with the Archetype/Miche handbuilts I had on the Pro Carbon. Nothing wrong with the DT Swiss wheels - I just preferred the feel of my Archetype wheels.

Did not really seriously consider Canyon as an option - perhaps subconsciously I was influenced by reading several issues about delivery delays.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Rose - I went for the grey/fluoro yellow option which I think is quite distinctive

47387740232_28c5c1d09b_z.jpg
  • berggg
    berggg Posts: 4
    The Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 is quoted at 7kg. It's quite hard to find weights for other bikes at roughly the same level, but when I've asked shops that sell them, the Ultimate seems a fair bit ahead of the competition in terms of weight (and a bit cheaper).

CF SL 8.0 is the 'entry' level ultimate frame (ie not the top level six), with rim brakes, mechanical Ultegra, an aero cockpit, and DT Swiss spline 1800 wheels. Other similar bikes, eg Ultegra versions of TCR advanced pro , Ridley Helium X, Trek Emonda, seem to be closer to 8kg.

So, questions -
    - Is the Ultimate really that much lighter than the competition, or are bike shops just giving a more honest weight?
    - If it is that much lighter, what's driving the difference? (There doesn't seem to be one or two things that are loads lighter)

I probably shouldn't worry too much about 0.5-1kg difference, but I'd like to feel as much difference as possible from my soon to be winter bike, which is quoted just under 9kg and is about 9.25 with pedals and cages. And I've vague ambitions to enter some hill climb tts one day.

I have the same requirements and dilemmas as you. I took an Advanced Pro Disc 1 for a test ride at the weekend and with my heavy shimano SPD mtb bike pedals it came out 8.15kg, which was heavier than I was expecting especially as it had an upgraded stem and handlebars on it. It was however, a blast to ride and definitely felt very different from my existing bike (9.9kg Triban 540 [heart, love you forever])

Incidentally the giant.jp website does have the weights on it so you can look them up there. Same bike i weighed is listed at 7.8kg w/o pedals so I suppose was pretty accurate. Non disc are obviously lighter.

As to the TCR - once I got used to it and the extra firmness at the front it did feel great, accelerating uphill was different gravy to what I'm used to and it has those deeper carbon wheels... they look good and it did feel really fast on the flat. I wonder if the Ultimate is a bit more comfortable though and if so how much that is just because of the wheels being carbon on the TCR.

So it was positive - but I keep coming back to the Canyon's because of the value, reputation (as a bike), appearance and especially weight, even though it's probably going to make little difference to enjoyment or even that hill climb time. What to do...
    People love both bikes so you probably can't go wrong with either but it's that SL 8.0 that I keep coming back to like you.

In conclusion - nothing. Advice to self: stop procrastinating just buy one of them.

..or wait till the sale. Arf.
  • arlowood wrote:
    I don't think you would be disappointed with the Rose - I went for the grey/fluoro yellow option which I think is quite distinctive

47387740232_28c5c1d09b_z.jpg

Lovely looking bike, made my decision harder now!
  • BergGG wrote:
    Advice to self: stop procrastinating just buy one of them.

Yup, sounds like we're in much the same place, it's not easy this choosing and unnecessarily expensive bike :)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I got the same canyon but in the disc version...love it!!! You certainly won’t regret buying it. Feels fast and comfortable...looks great :wink: