Tarka Trail Devon

vulva65
vulva65 Posts: 118
edited May 2019 in Holidays
Hi,

It's hardly mountain biking but will taking the mountain bikes up to Devon in a couple of weeks as fancied camping weekend, we were thinking of doing to Tarka Trail just for a nice flat route to go exploring, just wondering if anyone has done it and where they recommend camping around the area? Was thinking Ilfracombe as seems to be a bit more picturesque and fancied some kayaking too. Any locals know what its like cycling from Ilfracombe to the start of the Tarka Trail?

Any info would be brilliant, thanks!

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've ridden Ilfracombe to Croyde a few times on family holidays (we stay in Croyde, but I often ride the bike to destinations if we're out for the day as a family, and stick the bike on the roof for the return journey, or cycle back depending on how I feel), and if you were going direct back to Braunton instead (to pick up the Trail easier) from Ilfracombe it is much the same.

A big hill out of Ilfracombe, the a big descent into Braunton. Nothing too taxing. I've done it on a roadie, but it wouldn't faze me on a HT either. If you go via Croyde then the roads are smaller and quite fun, though traffic can be a small issue.

Ilfracombe is worth a trip to Tunnels Beach, but the rest of the town isn't up to much - harbour is nice I suppose.

Tarka trail is pan flat, nice to ride along at a decent pace. Exposed to headwinds of course.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)