Tyres, whats decent these days

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Noted a bit of canvas appearing on the rear so think they are about spent now.

Any suggestions on whats decent these days?

25c Clinchers to go one some deep section carbons, has Schwalbe Pro 1's on, not been overly happy with them and seeing as they've become deaded its a good time to change.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Michelin Power Comp or Vittoria Corsa G+ for me. Both good tyres, not the most durable, but they are what I'd consider nice rolling.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you want decent performance with good durability I would recommend Michelin Pro4 Endurance. A bit long in the tooth as tyres go these days but I rate them.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I went down the schwalbe route in 2015, and they are a bit fragile and don't have great wet weather grip. I run conti gp4000/ 5000s. the 5000s have moved the game on a little bit compared to the 4000s (they do everything well and are probably very slightly quicker if that is your thing)... used to use the vittoria grapheme ones and they grip well but are fragile. never tried Michelin.
  • step83
    The Michelin's probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I did try Corsa G's an yes gorgeous but they lasted one summer the moment the weather turned they were ruined.

Tempted by the Pirelli's which seem to get favourable reviews
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    yeah, Pirellis are ok, inasmuch as not quite as fast as pure race tyres but feel great in the corners (good grip) and are pretty obdurate when it comes to punctures. seem though to be weak against thorns.

Pirelli's and vittorias are made in the same factory. they ride slightly differently though.
  • step83
    Looks like Pro4's or their replacements it is then!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Step83 wrote:
    Looks like Pro4's or their replacements it is then!

Power Comps are the replacements and they are fast... Used to love Pro4s but Power Comps are a definite step up (in terms of rolling resistance).
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    I can't fault the Conti GP 4000s I've been running since day 1 of my road career, that said having not tried anything else I can only offer my short sighted opinion.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Step83 wrote:

25c Clinchers to go one some deep section carbons, has Schwalbe Pro 1's on, not been overly happy with them and seeing as they've become deaded its a good time to change.
    Can I ask why you are moving away from tubeless ( Schwalbe Pro Ones ) to clinchers?
    I agree with your comments on the Pro Ones, cut easily and a wear rate you can almost seen with the naked eye lol.
    Out of interest , I weighed my well worn Pro Ones against a worn Conti gp4000sii with inner tube after busting a spoke. Nerdy I know!!!
    There was very little in difference in the weight, less than 10grams...
    I'm happy with the Conti 4000sii to be honest but want to stick with tubeless but the price of the Conti GP 5000 t/l is near eye watering lol.
    T.
  • step83
    TonySJ wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Can I ask why you are moving away from tubeless ( Schwalbe Pro Ones ) to clinchers?
    I agree with your comments on the Pro Ones, cut easily and a wear rate you can almost seen with the naked eye lol.
    Out of interest , I weighed my well worn Pro Ones against a worn Conti gp4000sii with inner tube after busting a spoke. Nerdy I know!!!
    There was very little in difference in the weight, less than 10grams...
    I'm happy with the Conti 4000sii to be honest but want to stick with tubeless but the price of the Conti GP 5000 t/l is near eye watering lol.
    T.

I changed rims which is a big reason, I was running some DT Swiss tubeless ones but their a bit too damaged after some heavy impacts. Been running them with tubes for a while which has been fine.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    philbar72 wrote:
    yeah, Pirellis are ok, inasmuch as not quite as fast as pure race tyres but feel great in the corners (good grip) and are pretty obdurate when it comes to punctures. seem though to be weak against thorns.

Pirelli's and vittorias are made in the same factory. they ride slightly differently though.

Love my pirelli p zero's - as good as gps 4000 ii - but a damm site easier to get on and off.

I have pro 4 end on winter bike - which I like - but they are the worst for getting on and off
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Mate of mine was a veritable puncture magnet when running Pirelli P Zeros......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Michelin Power Comp or...
    Michelin Power Endurance

I'm in the Endurance camp, and used the earlier Pro4 Endurance incarnation for years.

Comps are a few grams lighter and will wear a little quicker, but by all accounts, very little in it...
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    GP4000S and Michelin Power Endurance here. Both great tyres with good cut and “P” resistance. Last a good while too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    The Vittorias with latex tubes would be my choice but would be happy with a deal on any top end tyre as full rrp on all these tyres is a bit steep for a consumable. Currently running some tan wall Veloflex which were cheap which apart from coming up slightly narrower seem fine.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • step83
    The Vittorias with latex tubes would be my choice but would be happy with a deal on any top end tyre as full rrp on all these tyres is a bit steep for a consumable. Currently running some tan wall Veloflex which were cheap which apart from coming up slightly narrower seem fine.

Vittorias an latex are lovely I ran them on a shallow rim in the past but your right prices are painful I keep two tyres for £90+ on them.

Veloflex apparently don't recommend their tyres on carbon rims, I think its due to sharp edges or something so I'm avoiding.

As nice as tan walls look im peobably just going to get some conti GP's at this rate.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Regular clincher Schwalbe Ones are still may favourrite. They are a much nicer ride plus much longer lasting and less cut and puncture prone than their tubeless counterparts.