Nutrition/hydration for 60 mile Sportive

Freelikethewind
Freelikethewind Posts: 37
edited May 2019 in Road beginners
First Sportive this weekend in Scotland (60 miles)

Will I need two water bottles on my bike?
There is one feed stop half way. Normally one bottle is plenty for 30 miles then I'd top up at the stop but perhaps I'll need more for an event?
Any nutrition tips? Normally a gel or two every hour and energy drink is enough (I'm female and wee!)
Any other tips gratefully received!
I've been training, managed 50 miles solo at 16mph last week so hoping I'll be okay!

Comments

• You shouldn't really need gels. Normal food is fine - bits of flapjack, screen, cake bars, anything really. Maybe one gel for towards the end if you're struggling but it sounds like you'll be fine :)

As for the amount of drink, just depends on you really and how warm it is/how much you sweat. I'd personally carry 2 and not bother stopping, but just do whatever suits you.
  • I really struggle to digest proper food on rides. Gels worked on longer training rides!
  • I really struggle to digest proper food on rides. Gels worked on longer training rides!
    Fair enough, like I said, it's just about finding what works for you. Too may gels mean I often need to stop. With some urgency :shock: :mrgreen:
  • It's a minefield this nutrition business
    Normally I'm a runner which seems a lot simpler
  • It's a minefield this nutrition business
    Normally I'm a runner which seems a lot simpler
    To be fair it sounds like you've already found something that works for you, may as well stick to it. If you can do a 50 solo at 16mph you're doing fine, 60 miles in a group will be childs play :)
  • Thanks!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Jelly babies, haribo or jelly beans are less sticky alternatives to gels. HiFive do energy gummies which are similar. one of the above is usually less faff and less laxative than gels.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Hydration will largely depend on the weather. If sunny and warm then take 2 bottles. If damp and cool you will probably manage with one.

Personally I'd take 2 either way.

I did the etape Caledonia and drank 2 750ml bottles. It was damp and mild.

Naked bars are reasonably good for eating on the go. Soft and nice flavours.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    Cheese butties with loads of salt on do it for me which does prove the previously made point, it's what suits the individual.