All year round tyres

robsie71
robsie71 Posts: 7
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
I have read many threads on tyres but can't find anything on preference for all year round do it all tyres.

I will mainly be riding trail centres and some forest xc/trails and looking for something that transitions from straights to cornering well with great grip/decent rolling. (Grip a higher priority to rolling resistance)

Looking for something with good grip in all conditions/weather (I know it won't be 100% in all conditions but working 90% of the time would be great)

I've been looking at Maxxis HR2, DHF and DHR 2 but so confused with what would be the best front and rear to give the all round best performance.

All advice appreciate.

Thanks.

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    The problem with having the same tyres all the time is they're only decent about half the time, compromised the rest of the time. What I do is have 3 tyres, and swap them for summer (dry)/winter (wet)

HRII on the front, Ardent on the back in summer, then put the HRII on the back in winter, with a Shorty on the front.

but it you insist, the HRII F&R, or DHF/DHRII are both decent all round combos. (use 3c on the front)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have run Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo on my full suss for the last two and a half years and they have worked well as all-year tyres. Trail Star front and Pace Star rear.

Schwalbe have changed their naming system. I think the Nobby Nic now only comes in the Speedgrip compound.

I am also a fan of Specialized tyres and run a Purgatory on the front and Ground Control on the rear of my hard tail, both in Grid casing. They have also been good all year round but I tend to use this bike on less demanding trails.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I run Conti Trail King Black Chilli Compound all of the time front and back (tubeless)

Really good grip and roll very well. Also not as heavy/draggy as some more DH orientated type tyres.

We all have our favourites!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    BillyCool wrote:
    I run Conti Trail King Black Chilli Compound all of the time front and back (tubeless)

Really good grip and roll very well. Also not as heavy/draggy as some more DH orientated type tyres.

+1 for the Conti TKs.

Just make sure that you get the ones with the black chilli compound. It is the bcc that gives the grip, lower rolling resistance and the extra life. Don't commute on them though or you will be able to hear the tyres wearing away. Not for you either if you live in the Peaks or the Welsh mountains. But apart from rock and tarmac, they last really well. I still have a 26er in my garage that has done over 3000 miles. They are not mud tyre but they shed mud well too.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'm using a Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 on the front with a Continental Mountain King 2.4 on the back, the MM is the bigger of the two tyres.
    If I was going for some new tyres it would still be the MM on the front with a Hans Dampf for the wetter times and a Rock Razor on the back for dryer times.

The guy that developed the Black Chilli compound at Continental now works for Schwalbe and made the Addix compounds.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    robertpb wrote:

The guy that developed the Black Chilli compound at Continental now works for Schwalbe and made the Addix compounds.

Great piece of info, I wonder how much "gardening leave" he had to take before he could transfer from Conti to one of their rivals?

I've never been a fan of Schwalbe tyres, but I will consider them in future (or at least have a more open mind!)
  • robsie71
    robsie71 Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the help...I hadn't looked at the Conti's so will take a look.

I've read a few reviews on the Schwalbe tyres and a few talk about punctures more so than other tyres. Are people using the Super Gravity and accepting the extra weight it brings?

Thanks
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    robsie71 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help...I hadn't looked at the Conti's so will take a look.

I've read a few reviews on the Schwalbe tyres and a few talk about punctures more so than other tyres. Are people using the Super Gravity and accepting the extra weight it brings?

Thanks

Not had a puncture in years and I've been running Schwalbe tyres for about 8 years, been running tubeless for most of that time. Most punctures I've ever had in a day was 5 in a set of 1987 Specialized Ground Controls, these were designed by WTB, but today if I rode in the same place with the tubeless setup I have I wouldn't get one.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    I've had over two dozen punctures in each of my Conti TKs, but no flats! That is because I use sealant in the tubes.