Inflating road tubeless tyres - 12v car tyre inflators?

RobinB2
RobinB2 Posts: 111
edited May 2019 in Road general
Up until now I've managed to (eventually) get tubeless tyres to pop onto road wheel rims using a track pump and various tricks such as binding the tyre with bits of string etc. The exact technique needed seems to vary between different tyre and wheel rim combinations. However, it's always a bit of a faff and I've not yet found any one way of doing it that works first time and without plenty of swearing.
I'm thinking of buying a 12v car tyre inflator for keeping my car tyres inflated and emergency repairs and wondered if they would double up for 'popping' tubeless tyres onto rims. Do they flow enough air volume and has anybody had any success using one for such a purpose?

Comments

• darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    You can buy one shot track pumps.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Schraeder to presta converter?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    RobinB2 wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a 12v car tyre inflator for keeping my car tyres inflated and emergency repairs and wondered if they would double up for 'popping' tubeless tyres onto rims. Do they flow enough air volume and has anybody had any success using one for such a purpose?

in a word, no.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    I am using Lifeline Airblast for a year now without issues both for seating tires and as a normal pump.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Having had one (eventual) success with a track pump and three (expletive-filled) failures, I just use a CO2 cannister now. I pick up new ones when they go on sale in Aldidl or wherever.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like a 12v car tyre inflator is not the answer. I'll look into some of the one-shot track pumps as an alternative
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    davidof wrote:
    RobinB2 wrote:

in a word, no.
    No you've never tried one or you tried and had no success?

If you've been thinking of getting one for the car anyway you have little to lose by trying it.

For clarity, I've not tried one, regular track pump has always managed for me.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Go a little off track for a mo, I’m taking my bike over to Greece in July so I’m planning to slightly deflate the tyres for the flight but what type of pump do I need to re-inflate them?
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    If your setup is tubeless they should stay seated even when deflated (you could test it before your trip) so you would need a normal pump.