Training with heart rate monitor zones and max HR

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited May 2019 in Road beginners
Hi
I recently rediscovered my Edge 500 and chest heart rate monitor.
What's the best training/ workout plans for a fairly new starter previously just commuted to/from work now going out more at days from 30-80 miles.

Also I have a resting heart rate now of around 55bpm taken various points over several days

I have several activities recorded with the heart rate monitor both running and cycling.
I have one annomolie of 202bpm
a few readings of 177bpm
And 1 reading of 185bpm
The AVG max is 179bpm (Inc annomolie)
Van I use any of these as a max heart rate reading or do I need to find a hill and do a few hill repeats?
Will my max heart rate be the same regardless of activity? Eg running sprint Vs sprinting on bike as if an all out effort then it shouldn't matter, should it?
Or should I use the max heart rate I can achieve on the bike?

Also if zones are approx ranges eg fat burn circa 70-80% of max does it matter if not quite accurate?
I did find a lower intensity on the club run made me feel more hungry then when I've pushed a bit harder on my own, albeit it was a slightly longer ride but not as hilly (50 miles opposed to 30)

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your202 does sound like an anomaly.
    HR never jumps it always increases gradually.

I'd do a max HR test so you know where you are.

Cycling will have a different HR Max compared to running.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    It is generally reckoned that the best way of determining your HR zones is from your LTHR (Lactate Threshold heart Rate)
    In order to find that without going to a lab and having a special test you need to do a short test
    Read here https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/joe- ... ing-zones/
  • andyh01
    Hmm... Are most training plans using heart rate based on LTHR or max HR? The other tests I've read are hill.repeats all out efforts, for max HR.

Also what is the best free training plan /app?
  • OnTheRopes
    Max HR is difficult to achieve accurately as your OP is testament to. LTHR can be obtained accurately enough to set meaningful zones with the 30 minute test.
    Rather than go for a free plan (British Cycling do have some good stuff on the website) why not invest in a good book such as Training and Racing with a Power Meter of which the 3rd edition has just been published. You will learn loads from it rather than just follow some random plan that may not be suited to you or what you wish to achieve.
    I realise you do not have a power meter but it does cover HR zones as well
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racin ... 1937715930
  • OnTheRopes
    Or get this, btw training using HR is still a valid way to train so don't let anyone tell you you NEED a power meter. They are more accurate, particularly in the higher intensity zones but for aerobic training in zones 2 and 3 then HR can in fact be as good and is still useful for HIIT until the day you really get serious.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Heart-Ra ... 150&sr=1-3
  • andyh01
    Thanks - why 30 mins test and could I not use my existing data either over 30 mins using the 20 mins or the whole 2hour I am gunk around AVG 144 BPM.

I guess as just starting to focus more on fitness rather than just riding, I'm not sure what specific goals I have in mind -( although wouldn't mind having a go at the club 10 mile TT , I have the route so.might go practice see if can do it under the 30 mins) I don't want spend as yet, especially as some guides on internet and within Garmin connect that I could try just to see what's it's like.
    I looked on the trainer road (same author I believe) but again have to.pay to access the plans.
    I've used the coach to 5k struggled to follow as too slow, tried a bit of Nike coach but the thing that got me moving more was zombie run, again not paid for it have to wait a week before being able to.play next episode.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Hi
    I recently rediscovered my Edge 500 and chest heart rate monitor.
    What's the best training/ workout plans for a fairly new starter previously just commuted to/from work now going out more at days from 30-80 miles.

Also I have a resting heart rate now of around 55bpm taken various points over several days

I have several activities recorded with the heart rate monitor both running and cycling.
    I have one annomolie of 202bpm
    a few readings of 177bpm
    And 1 reading of 185bpm
    The AVG max is 179bpm (Inc annomolie)
    Van I use any of these as a max heart rate reading or do I need to find a hill and do a few hill repeats?
    Will my max heart rate be the same regardless of activity? Eg running sprint Vs sprinting on bike as if an all out effort then it shouldn't matter, should it?
    Or should I use the max heart rate I can achieve on the bike?

Also if zones are approx ranges eg fat burn circa 70-80% of max does it matter if not quite accurate?
    I did find a lower intensity on the club run made me feel more hungry then when I've pushed a bit harder on my own, albeit it was a slightly longer ride but not as hilly (50 miles opposed to 30)

Resting HR is not really relevant in terms of establishing your MHR, any more than an engine's idle speed is relevant to its redline. 202 may or may not be an anomaly, but generally speaking, just use the highest HR you have recorded as your max and adjust as necessary. Assuming the 202 was recorded during an all-out effort, then it's likely to be genuine. If it was recorded at a time where you would not expect to be seeing a high HR, then it's almost certainly false.

Running HR will not be relevant to cycling, and vice versa. Also bear in mind that 'fat burning' and 'fat burning zones' are not really a thing.