saturday just like bein' born stoned

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,435
edited May 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

ride, coffee, cake, may go and buy energy bars at random, zipvit stopped doing the nice choc ones, need to research replacement options
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    going out for an hour or so on the plastic bike. no energy bars here - pane e agua.

#hungry
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, nice morning aswell, just a quick ride this morning , Lincolnshire arrow sportive tomorrow
    Have a good weekend
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Still got man flu so no ferkin exercise and it’s really peeing me off

Today is lumberjacking and tidying up before guests arrive for dinner
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    going out for an hour or so on the plastic bike. no energy bars here - pane e agua.

#hungry

What do you do about the bread crumbs in your jersey pockets?

Kid stuff for me. Which will be a pleasure, seeing as I've been away 3 times this month. :D
  • oxoman wrote:
    Morning All. Local parkrun then steady day chilling. Tip run later possibly.

Ditto. Well the first bit anyway. Squeeze a bit of exercise in before the weather turns. 5k at rather leisurely pace in the local park and then off to Helmsley across the North Yorks Moors. Lovely ride and even better fish 'n' chips.

Looks like four or five rain affected days after that. Possibly even starting late this afternoon. Well it is Bank Holiday !!!
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

#hungry

Kid stuff for me. Which will be a pleasure, seeing as I've been away 3 times this month. :D

i keep a small carrier pigeon in there in case i need the team car to come and get me so he eats any crumbs that may be in there.

#communication

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

#hungry

i keep a small carrier pigeon in there in case i need the team car to come and get me so he eats any crumbs that may be in there.

#communication

Now that is pro. Big up the MF's and their carrier pigeon. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

#hungry

#communication

Now that is pro. Big up the MF's and their carrier pigeon. :D

many thanks - the MFs are now smiling.

#happiness

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    as an aside, can someone pop over and sortout the links for the planet x bike please.

none of the MFs can make them work.

#gratitude

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Talking about bikes and riding thereof by skinny fellas with big lungs.
    I see nibbles has been bad mouthing roglic for wheelsucking. Seems fair enough for roglic to save a bit of energy by marking nibbles especially with the TT km still to come.

Also, whose style do you prefer? Roglic seated, high cadence, never says a word? Or nibbles pushing a big gear with that poker face on, ranting at all and sundry to get in with it?

Decent ride by the big Russian and the 2 basques yesterday.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Talking about bikes and riding thereof by skinny fellas with big lungs.
    I see nibbles has been bad mouthing roglic for wheelsucking. Seems fair enough for roglic to save a bit of energy by marking nibbles especially with the TT km still to come.

Also, whose style do you prefer? Roglic seated, high cadence, never says a word? Or nibbles pushing a big gear with that poker face on, ranting at all and sundry to get in with it?

Decent ride by the big Russian and the 2 basques yesterday.

nibbles deffo - at least he's showing a bit of passion.

Roglic is just like Froomedog. utterly bereft of anything. Dull as

#tedium
    #personalityneeded

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed. I could have done with being stoned last night, in the off my tits sense rather than biblical. Went to see the Sun Ra Arcestra at the Union Chapel and booze wasn’t enough to make anything seem normal, lots of sparkly weirdness going on. Great rhythm section with a load of horns in the front all fighting for attention it seemed. When it all came together it was good but other times it was a bit too experimental jazz for me. Kind of fun all the same.
    Jobs to do and pottering today, need to fix the CX bike. Fixed the MFs one at least.
  • Matthewfalle
    The MIGHTY HONDA has a dead battery after I left all the doors open for two days. Won't jump start so now plugged into battery charger. I'll go back to it in an hour or so and beat it with a branch a la Fawlty Towers (sic)

#shitbagcar
    #shouldhaveboughtahelicopter

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Afternoon

Went out and joined in with some nutters trying to everest one of the local mountains. I managed 6 laps and I'm absolutely wrecked, they've got to do 32.

Sitting by the river now eating ice cream
    #shitbagcar
    #shouldhaveboughtahelicopter
    An a400m just flew over here heading in your direction, assumed it was your new vehicle.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    as an aside, can someone pop over and sortout the links for the planet x bike please.

That is telling you something.

Bleedin' rain. Humph, meh and bother.

Spent the morning in the rain planting. A Dahlia, a hydrangea and some more grass seed. That tough play area seed 'cos of Tricky and Shorty.

Giro later. It's getting interesting with no team in control and Roglic is isolated. Cuddles was often left this way at BMC because both BMC and NL Jumbo are Belgian/Dutch and don't really assemble GT squads.
    Nibali can moan all he likes but it's up to Nibali to chase the deficit. Why should Roglic propel Nibali into contention? Nibali has a strong squad around him. If Nibali does not win, well that's because he needs to attack Roglic/send some boys up the road and put the MF pigeon amongst the cats. Err... something like that.
    So from a different perspective, all the pressure is on an isolated, unprotected Roglic. Going hell for leather up the road is simply going to elicit a response from (better supported) rivals and possibly run out of gas in the process.
    This means his hands are tied a little and others just may creep up on him Nieve/Landa?
    That's what makes it interesting.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Busy day, only just sat down. Had a good full English with some mates so haven't eaten since noon. Quite a few jobs done and managed a good blast in the Panzer through the North Downs on the way to and from said brekky.

Currently got some lemon sole baking in the oven; the only downer is that Stropteen needs a lift from her night out so no drink till later on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Just knew this would happen. Huge music festival up the road, we don't normally get that sort of thing in this neck of the woods. Not glitzy enough. 70,000 attending and some big name acts. I just thought to myself ………. THAT MEANS TORRENTIAL RAIN.

Yep, woke up to it and it's continued until the present. I give my bike a darned good clean last night and I'm not doing it again plus cycling togs. And the forecast is equally dismal for tomorrow. Luckily I've got Stephen Graham and his new drama, The Virtues, to catch up on. Episode one looked a bit weird but I love this actor, absolutely terrifying for a small guy.

Back to music festivals. I did Bestival last year and I'm now a total authority on mud. Don't the organisers ever learn. It was that bad people were having wellies sucked off their feet. I was roaring drunk and still depressed by the whole thing. Luckily Madness and the Lightning Seeds rescued proceedings for me.

Anyway, hope you're having better weather than us. Or you plan to get drunk.
  • pinno
    Or you plan to get drunk.

This lot are always drunk or hungover.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Pinno wrote:

I don’t get hangovers, re drunk bit, I might be waiting to get served at the beer bus
  • The subject of drinking has always fascinated me. I am actually respectful of my health. But …………… I absolutely love drinking. Am I alcoholic ? Well I don't think so but maybe I'm a poor judge. I do think the units you're "allowed" to consume are a complete joke. How on earth will you persuade people to stick to 14 per week when a couple of bottles of wine would obliterate that !

I'm one of those people who thinks if they exercise a lot they can reward themselves. I know experts in the medical profession would scoff at that and say ( no doubt correctly ) that it doesn't work like that. Drink is drink and damage is damage. But do I see living to 80 plus as a definitive measure of success. Quite simply, NO. I see being happy, bringing your kids up well and living to a fairly old age as the happy medium.

Shocking story from the music festival I mentioned earlier that is taking place in these parts. A young lad has jumped from a bridge into traffic. He was at the event, things went unhappy for him and he took his life. Absolutely horrendous, tragic and oh so thought provoking. Poor young fella, if only someone could have helped him at that most desperate of moments. I drive by the spot at least twice a week. And always when I'm in the best of moods. Going to the beach for fish 'n' chips and a lovely walk. You wonder what you could have done had you timed things differently. His poor parents.

Anyway, sorry to end on such a note.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

2nd bottle of wine finished.

am instructing tomorrow all day

#headache

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    I'm a "high functioning alcoholic". I attempt to mitigate the health effects with longish sober periods, and by riding my bike as fast as I can, as often as family life permits.
    I never get falling down drunk, I rarely have hangovers. I dont miss my work or family responsibilities. But I'm under no illusions that the amount I drink is harmful.

Just say no kidz.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    I'm a "high functioning alcoholic". I attempt to mitigate the health effects with longish sober periods, and by riding my bike as fast as I can, as often as family life permits.
    I never get falling down drunk, I rarely have hangovers. I dont miss my work or family responsibilities. But I'm under no illusions that the amount I drink is harmful.

Just say no kidz.

sober sucks. but as H3 says squiffy is cool, paralytic is dickish.

#squiffy
    #giggly
    #neverdrinkcheapwine

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    I'll take issue with the cheap wine. Verdejo at a couple of euros a bottle in Spain, or vinho verde in Portugal is marvellous with seafood :D
  • Matthewfalle
    agree but there is a difference between the cheap wine in europe and the slop edwyn sells out of the jerry cans by the petrol pumps. or the average british supermarket

#whyleaveeurope?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    The...blah drink...blah drink...note.

Perfectly placed to help me.
    hopkinb wrote:
    I'm...blah drink...blah drink...kidz.

Also perfectly placed to help me.
    2nd...blah drink...blah drink...#headache

Another one! Bingo.

Where's Mr Jacket Spud? Oh no, he's a beer drinker. Forget him.

Tonight ladies and Germs, your task is to pick a crate from these guys. I have a £75 voucher if I spend £114 or more:

https://www.nakedwines.com/wines

Low tannin easy drinking reds for us. 6 white, 6 red.

Ta.
  • Stevo_666
    The subject of drinking has always fascinated me. I am actually respectful of my health. But …………… I absolutely love drinking. Am I alcoholic ? Well I don't think so but maybe I'm a poor judge. I do think the units you're "allowed" to consume are a complete joke. How on earth will you persuade people to stick to 14 per week when a couple of bottles of wine would obliterate that !

I'm one of those people who thinks if they exercise a lot they can reward themselves. I know experts in the medical profession would scoff at that and say ( no doubt correctly ) that it doesn't work like that. Drink is drink and damage is damage. But do I see living to 80 plus as a definitive measure of success. Quite simply, NO. I see being happy, bringing your kids up well and living to a fairly old age as the happy medium.

Shocking story from the music festival I mentioned earlier that is taking place in these parts. A young lad has jumped from a bridge into traffic. He was at the event, things went unhappy for him and he took his life. Absolutely horrendous, tragic and oh so thought provoking. Poor young fella, if only someone could have helped him at that most desperate of moments. I drive by the spot at least twice a week. And always when I'm in the best of moods. Going to the beach for fish 'n' chips and a lovely walk. You wonder what you could have done had you timed things differently. His poor parents.

Anyway, sorry to end on such a note.
    Are you in Cleveland by any chance?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Indeedy I am. Local parkruns are Albert and Stewart. The latter of which is where the festival has been taking place.
  • Stevo_666
    Indeedy I am. Local parkruns are Albert and Stewart. The latter of which is where the festival has been taking place.
    Good guess - saw some article over the weekend on the 'Gazette Live' website about a big gig round that way featuring Miley Cyrus, which would have been enough to put me right off.

I know the area pretty well as I'm originally from Redcar and we have family in Marton. Visit quite regularly for now as I'm selling my folks' house - lots of clearing out and sorting stuff to be done.
  • Unusual to have something of that scale around here all the same. Redcar I love. I know people laugh at the idea of a vertical pier and it makes no sense to me either. And of course the vast steelworks wont be everyone's idea of the perfect backdrop. But it's so convenient to get to and the carpark at Majuba ( among others ) gives great access straight onto the beach. If there's a better chip shop than Sea Breeze on Lobster Rd I'd love to find it.

I've swam in the Lakes already this year but haven't braved the North Sea as yet.

I do a bit of work around Marton, The Grove, Gunnergate Lane and around the Southern Cross.