May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited July 2019 in The cake stop
she has finally announced she is going.

where does this leave it all.

discuss.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Who knows? But one thing's for sure, it doesn't leave us better off.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    So what month is this now then?

Anyway, whilst I dislike her, I think 'witch' is perhaps harsh especially as her spell in power didn't work out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Robert88 wrote:
    So what month is this now then?

Anyway, whilst I dislike her, I think 'witch' is perhaps harsh especially as her spell in power didn't work out.

Her voting history is deplorable though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    bompington wrote:

Indeed. Adrift would be my answer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    This from BBC comments:

Her 3 year legacy:

Inherited the first Conservative election majority since 1992. Called an unnecessary election and lost the majority.

Her flagship policy suffered a record defeat in the Commons.

40 ministers resign from her government.

Caused irreconcilable differences and nastiness in the country.

Huge losses at council and European elections.

And the positives:

None.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's a mess. A pointless referendum that very few people wanted in order to tried to fix internal divisions within a political party and all it has achieved is to make those Party divisions even wider whilst also splitting the general population that previously weren't bothered. You have to be either mad or a narcissist (or both) to want to take on the leadership in the current situation so there won't be a shortage of applicants.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Was it really May who caused this? Sure, she didn't do anything to make it better, but I'm not even convinced that she is the one responsible for making it worse - the blame for that lies with everyone who has done or said anything to polarise and inflame the debate: particularly, I would say, "othering" the other side.

Which, if we're being honest, is most of us at least some of the time: but some are far more guilty than others.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    bompington wrote:
    Was it really May who caused this? Sure, she didn't do anything to make it better, but I'm not even convinced that she is the one responsible for making it worse - the blame for that lies with everyone who has done or said anything to polarise and inflame the debate: particularly, I would say, "othering" the other side.

Which, if we're being honest, is most of us at least some of the time: but some are far more guilty than others.

:lol:

Yes, I blame that lot.
  • shirley_basso
    Did you watch the channel 4 mini-film about the brexit campaign with Benedict Cumberbatch?

Fascinating and terrifying
  • Matthewfalle
    This from BBC comments:

Her 3 year legacy:

Inherited the first Conservative election majority since 1992. Called an unnecessary election and lost the majority.

Her flagship policy suffered a record defeat in the Commons.

40 ministers resign from her government.

Huge losses at council and European elections.

And the positives:

None.

in addition .....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... esignation

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    bompington wrote:

If she'd flexed on the free movement of labour issue I reckon she'd have had a better than evens to get it through parliament...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Indeed. Adrift would be my answer.
    Unfortunately I believe this to be true.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Didn't she announce she'd be leaving before? I know that was an attempt at bribing MPs to vote for the WA by saying she'd quit when it hit through but it did mean she was still on her way out. She was pretty much dead politically then. As with Brexit she dragged it out a bit too long.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    bompington wrote:

If she'd flexed on the free movement of labour issue I reckon she'd have had a better than evens to get it through parliament...

should have figured out her plan before triggering A50, then would have realised ERG were the problem not the solution which would have meant building consensus in the middle.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Her job was no doubt the worst of all and whatever she did there will always be haters.

Adrift is a pretty good description of where we are now.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    bompington wrote:

I am actually curious in terms of how far you are willing to take this. So she agrees to pay into the EU for trade, agrees free movement of people, agrees to a customs union where we can't then control our trade policy with nations outside the EU. The reason we have got to this point is that a large majority of pro remain MP's thought the answer was to continue to compromise till the point we had even less control that at present. That is a deal that Rodders would be proud of.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I am actually curious in terms of how far you are willing to take this. So she agrees to pay into the EU for trade, agrees free movement of people, agrees to a customs union where we can't then control our trade policy with nations outside the EU. The reason we have got to this point is that a large majority of pro remain MP's thought the answer was to continue to compromise till the point we had even less control that at present. That is a deal that Rodders would be proud of.

Well that was the Brexit that was campaigned on by the main leave protagonists. Given that fact, and the result of the referendum, surely that is the only Brexit that actually has a mandate?
  • rick_chasey
    https://fullfact.org/europe/what-was-pr ... eferendum/

here, about half way down, Brexit does not mean leaving the single market is said explicit by Gove, Johnson and Hannan and even Aaron Banks and Farage talk about the "Norway option" in the campaign.
  • rjsterry
    https://fullfact.org/europe/what-was-promised-about-customs-union-referendum/

here, about half way down, Brexit does not mean leaving the single market is said explicit by Gove, Johnson and Hannan and even Aaron Banks and Farage talk about the "Norway option" in the campaign.

The argument is that May then called a GE with a manifesto containing a different version of Brexit. The result of that GE provided a mandate - albeit a weak one - for the that different version of Brexit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    "Brexit meant MyExit" the Musical

By Cameron and May.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    rjsterry wrote:

The argument is that May then called a GE with a manifesto containing a different version of Brexit. The result of that GE provided a mandate - albeit a weak one - for the that different version of Brexit.

How close does the manifesto come to the withdrawal agreement?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    remainers did say that brexit would lead to job losses
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

How close does the manifesto come to the withdrawal agreement?

I'll admit to not having done a line by line comparison.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Reported thread title, I don't believe this forum needs to cater to this.
  • shirley_basso
    What? Faux outrage much?
  • Matthewfalle
    thread title changed because Mamil felt OUTRAGE

#anger
    #freespeech
    #we'renotallTories

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited May 2019
    mamil314 wrote:
    Reported thread title, I don't believe this forum needs to cater to this.
    are you seriously objecting to "ding dong the witch is gone"?

It's the word "dong" isn't it, because it could mean penis?
  • rjsterry
    thread title changed because Mamil felt OUTRAGE

#anger
    #freespeech

#we'renotallTories

Having a Yaxley-Lennon moment there, MF? ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I can understand where May was coming from, she seemed to see herself as a kind of unifying leader in the middle of two extremes but it's been clear for a while she was unwilling or incapable of building a majority around any kind of way forward and she's really just been slowing down progress. Of course depending on our destination we may end up wishing progress had been slowed even more but she's overstayed her welcome and I doubt many from any political perspective will think she should stay.

Hard to really feel much about her going as there is so little certainty as to where we go now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    I can understand where May was coming from, she seemed to see herself as a kind of unifying leader in the middle of two extremes but it's been clear for a while she was unwilling or incapable of building a majority around any kind of way forward and she's really just been slowing down progress. Of course depending on our destination we may end up wishing progress had been slowed even more but she's overstayed her welcome and I doubt many from any political perspective will think she should stay.

Hard to really feel much about her going as there is so little certainty as to where we go now.

Yes, there's no question you knew where you stood when May was at the helm.