Giro 2019, Stage 13: Pinerolo - Ceresole Reale (Lago Serrù) 196 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 13: Pinerolo - Ceresole Reale (Lago Serrù) 196 km *****

Friday, May 24th

START TIME: 11.30 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

The 13th stage of the Giro d'Italia finishes after 196 kilometres in the Gran Paradiso National Park. The final haul up is the unprecedented Colle del Nivolet, while the climb stops near Lago Serrù. The route takes the longest possible half-lap around Torino on the west side, crossing a few lower and uncategorized climbs on low ridges separating wide open valleys, suitable for a breakaway to build a gap.

wSexpkx.jpg?1

This is a long mountain stage with 3 challenging climbs, but they are challenging in different ways, as the long profile hints at. The final climb in the Piedmont region of northwest Italy has never been graced by the Giro d’Italia, mainly because the road leads to a dead-end. The pass peaks at an altitude of 2,612 metres, yet the Giro stops at 2,247 metres.

G19_T13_CeresoleR_alt_jpg.jpg

The race starts in Pinerolo and the Colletta de Cimiana is included as a warm-up climb with its peak at kilometre 16.6. The route continues to the foot of Colle del Lys. Beginning at kilometre 35, the ascent amounts to 14.9 kilometres while the average gradient is 6,4%. Last year, from the gentle north side, it killed the maglia rosa ambitions of Simon Yates.

G19_T13_S01_Lys_SAL_jpg.jpg

After the Lys, the route descends on a gentle gradient to Cirie, before crossing more unduating foothills towards Busano and gentler terrain again towards Cuorgne where the route wilol cross the valley and zigzag up the mountain to the Pian de Lupo, and down a challenging descent to Pont Canavese before the final climb. However, the Pian del Lupo – amazingly, only a 2nd category, cause this is the Giro – is a tough one, as in includes a 3km section that averages over 11%, its steepest ramp sits at 14% and about 200 m of sterrato is also included:

G19_T13_S02_PiandelLupo_SAL.jpg
01_pian_del_lupo.jpg

The Pian del Lupo is crested with 62 kilometres out. The first 16 kilometres are downhill, the rest goes up. At first with fairly shallow gradients as the Nivolet tracks on the lower slopes along the edge of the Orco river. This section is non-classified, but it is far from flat either. Shortly after the riders move through Noasca (start of the official climb) a section at 10% appears and 4 kilometres up the mountain the ramp kicks up to 14%. This is just before a series of switchbacks hoists the riders away from the valley floor up the side of the mountain. The route climbs 3 kilometres at 8.7% before it flattens out for approximately 8 kilometres.

G19_T13_S03_Ceresole_SAL.jpg

The route moves through mountain village Ceresole Reale and heads to the grande finale. The last 5 kilometres of the final climb rise at 9.2%.

G19_T13_CeresoleR_ukm_jpg.jpg

For those who have enough juice for a sprint at the top: the 100 metres run-in to the line slope at 3.7%.

Favourites 13th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Miguel Ángel López, Mikel Landa
** Vincenzo Nibali, Simon Yates, Primoz Roglic
* Rafal Majka, Richard Carapaz, Ilnur Zakarin, Esteban Chaves

CERESOLE REALE (Lago Serrù)

Located in the Piedmontese side of Gran Paradiso National Park, Ceresole Reale has a great environmental value: both in summer and in winter you can play all the sports related to the mountains in an unpolluted environment. The little town lies in the centre of a basin surrouned by majestic peaks, which are reflected in the clear waters of the lake, navigable only by means without engine. Here you can enjoy many outdoor activities: trekking, climbing, biking, fishing, cross-country and mountaineering ski, wandering with snow rackets, icefall climbing, all of them in a protected environment which makes you feel good.
The mineral spring archeological site, the dam and its hydroelectric power station, the steinbock museum, the glaciological museum, the ethnological museum, the plateau of Nivolet, the military forts, San Nicolao bishop parish church, Chiesa cottage designed by Carlo Ceppi, Villa Giordano, the hystoric mineral spring of Ceresole Reale mineral water, bottled until the second world war.

1UsVJRX.jpg?1
Colle del Nivolet. Lago Serrù

GASTRONOMY

Different meat with polenta (i.e. a cornmeal mush), polenta concia (i.e. polenta with melted butter and cheese),
3-Polenta-Concia-9-1-of-1.jpg
Maybe accompanied by a bottle of this.
mg-pian-del-lupo_casavecchia.jpg

Gran Paradiso soup, trout cooked in a variety of ways.

maxresdefault.jpg

Renowned are also “toma” and butter from alpine pasture. Various kind of honey.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I expect we will see Ricardo Ricco make his move here.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Some lumps at last.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A good day to lose the Pink jersey. I wouldn't want to be doing the media stuff for 2hrs half way up a mountain miles from a hot meal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Some lumps at last.

Some?!?

Monster climb!
  • blazing_saddles
    The unmarked Colletta di Cumiana, the final 5km are mostly at 10%.
    The Pian del Lupo climb has an extra 3km of climbing including a cobbled section in the town just before the climb proper starts.
    Weather: 22°C with sunshine but increasing chance of rain later.
    Unfortunately, because the finish is in a national park that the TV coverage will be scaled back, there will be no helicopter for the final part.
  • " *cough, cough* yeah, looks like I've *cough* come down with something. Won't be in today *cough* but hopefully will be in on Tuesday *cough*" *checks Tuesday profile* "actually, this feels pretty bad *cough* - might not be in till Wednesday *cough* "
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Nibs promising fireworks:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali- ... a-tactics/

And complaining, like usual, just when I start coming round to the fella.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    " *cough, cough* yeah, looks like I've *cough* come down with something. Won't be in today *cough* but hopefully will be in on Tuesday *cough*" *checks Tuesday profile* "actually, this feels pretty bad *cough* - might not be in till Wednesday *cough* "
    I'm speaking at a conference at 2pm, who schedules a conference on a Friday... bah.
  • rick_chasey
    joey54321 wrote:
    Nibs promising fireworks:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali- ... a-tactics/

And complaining, like usual, just when I start coming round to the fella.

Would take Nibali's sh!t stirring with a pinch of salt.

He's the best since Lance at it. *taps temple*
  • mididoctors
    TV coverage limited on the finale?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

No helis I believe.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

No helis I believe.

Can't they use drones these days?
  • kingstongraham
    There's a lot more going on in the carpark on this webcam now.

https://ceresolereale.panomax.com/

Looks like a beautiful day up there, if a bit chilly
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    " *cough, cough* yeah, looks like I've *cough* come down with something. Won't be in today *cough* but hopefully will be in on Tuesday *cough*" *checks Tuesday profile* "actually, this feels pretty bad *cough* - might not be in till Wednesday *cough* "
    I'm speaking at a conference at 2pm, who schedules a conference on a Friday... bah.

I'm working from home, 2nd monitor is powered up ready for ES Player coverage to start. From the out-of-office replies I've received today most of the people I'm dealing with are on leave, I got a rush job wrapped up yesterday and mobile phone reception is poor (even worse if you turn the phone off ;) ). I've got a nice little task that needs doing that will take me most of the day. No doubt having said all that I'll get an urgent 'this has to be done by the end of the day' message from a Client on a job that has been dormant for months though as that's how these things go!
  • kingstongraham

No helis I believe.

Can't they use drones these days?

I forgot - they need helicopters to relay the footage from the motorbikes to the plane to etc. Unless that's all changed.
  • rick_chasey
    Big break has 2 minutes.

Group 1

BIB RIDER TEAM X
    2 AMADOR Andrey MOV X
    4 CARRETERO Héctor MOV X
    7 ROJAS José Joaquín MOV X
    11 GALLOPIN Tony ALM X
    18 VUILLERMOZ Alexis ALM X
    23 CATTANEO Mattia ANS X
    26 MASNADA Fausto ANS X
    34 CATALDO Dario AST X
    36 IZAGIRRE Ion AST X
    38 ZEITS Andrey AST X
    47 NIBALI Antonio TBM X
    48 POZZOVIVO Domenico TBM X
    64 FORMOLO Davide BOH X
    73 DE LA PARTE Víctor CCC X
    97 DOMBROWSKI Joe EF1 X
    115 NEILANDS Krists ICA X
    116 PLAZA Rubén ICA X
    124 DE GENDT Thomas LTS X
    137 JUUL-JENSEN Christopher MTS X
    138 NIEVE Mikel MTS X
    162 DUNBAR Eddie INS X
    163 GEOGHEGAN HART Tao INS X
    177 TOLHOEK Antwan TJV X
    181 ZAKARIN Ilnur TKA X
    201 MOLLEMA Bauke TFS X
    202 BRAMBILLA Gianluca TFS X
    203 CICCONE Giulio TFS X
    205 CONCI Nicola TFS
  • rick_chasey
    Nibali and Mollema holy moly.
  • Is the contrast on my TV wrong, or has Orla been going to the same tanning salon as Trump?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2019
    Best bit of the stage done and dusted before live tv starts up. Nice, not.

Live now with 132kms to go and nothing on the profile for another 50 plus kms.
  • kingstongraham
    Nibali and Mollema holy moly.

Antonio...
  • blazing_saddles
    Demare and the boys out the back and there already have been 6 abandons on the day.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tao GH has crashed....................again.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tao GH has now abandoned the race. :(
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Spoke too soon as expected, just as coverage started a contractor who has had our drawings for months finally decided to check things on the day he is starting work and needs something altered. Who starts a job on a Friday before a Bank Holiday weekend and why don't people look at their information sooner?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Team buses stuck at the bottom of the final climb it seems

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1131899524723675136
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    iainf72 wrote:
    Team buses stuck at the bottom of the final climb it seems

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1131899524723675136

I like the comment that as it is the Italian job climb it's appropriate for the busses to get stuck! :D
  • blazing_saddles
    Astana have blown the bunch to bits and the first casualties are the Maglia Rosa and Bob Jungels.............again.
    Roglic in splendid isolation once more.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kangert and Chaves dropped.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Only 12 riders in the Roglic group. Astana & Movistar both with two further up the road.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    That is steep!