Best £60 Helmet ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Pretty much as the title - been looking at the spesh align mips for around £50 - I suffer from tinitus so do like something with hefty straps

Any suggestions....?

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I use the Carnac Notus helmets from Planet X, they were £13 a pop when I bought them but they have gone up, they'll probably be back down in price next week!

As helmets go they're decent, as good as more expensive ones I've used, no MIPS mind.

The Notus Evo Road helmet is the same shell as the Specialized Evade with a different strap.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What's the deal with Tinnitus and straps ?

Have you tried those cat ear things to prevent windnoise ?
  • kingrollo
    cougie wrote:
    What's the deal with Tinnitus and straps ?

Have you tried those cat ear things to prevent windnoise ?

Its only mild tinitus at the moment (even the experts don't know what causes tinnitus - so its not a major thing) - but there are some suggestions that the wind you hear when cycling it actually the wind whistling through the straps. Hence one consideration maybe more hefty straps.

I have a skull cap - and headband for the summer - which helps...
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have the non-MIPS version of the Align. It is an excellent helmet, very comfortable, still about £30 at the moment.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Lazer genesis can usually be found for under 60. Its a far better fit than their latest range
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingrollo
    OP Here - I tried the giro foray - far to bulbous - 2 sizes of the mavic askuim - were also to big on my head. I couldn't find a kask mojito - so settled for the kask rapido - really pleased with how it fits and how small it looks on my head - only £48 from amazon.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    but there are some suggestions that the wind you hear when cycling it actually the wind whistling through the straps.

As someone who occasionally cycles without a helmet (gasp!) - I can confirm that this is not the case.
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    but there are some suggestions that the wind you hear when cycling it actually the wind whistling through the straps.

As someone who occasionally cycles without a helmet (gasp!) - I can confirm that this is not the case.

Thats based on a sample size of ..........1
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Doesn't alter the facts, unfortunately...
  • clubsport
    clubsport Posts: 51
    The one that fits you well and you feel comfortable with.

The only thing to do is go various cycle stores and try a few on within your price range.

I went to buy a Kask protone, a great helmet, but it didn't suit my head shape, so I ended up buying a cheaper Bontrager Mips based on trying it for size and fit.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Salice Levante (no MIPS) can be picked up for £60 in some places.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Doesn't alter the facts, unfortunately...

Stick your head out of the car window/sunroof at 20 mph. It is the wind whistling in your ears, not helmet straps.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Long time sufferer of tinnitus here, I cant say I've noticed an issue with straps affecting it but the Carnac Notus looks good, I don't have one but a couple of people I know do an it looks the job.

To note I have a Lazer Z1, tried a Lazer Bullet 2 and a Giro Vanquish Tinnitus was the same. even my full face MTB lid its the same.
    If your having issues with it becoming louder when cycling it would say to me you have a possible perforation in the eardrum. Only time mine is louder is when I'm ill and my ears are "bunged up"

The wind you hear tends to be it whipping over your earlobes, rather than anything else. try riding with a Belgium cap or ear covers youll notice its much less pronounced as your smoothing out the airflow
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have to ride in ear covers all summer due to getting ear ache from the wind. Doesn't have to be windy, its just the movement of air passed the ear.
    I've not found any helmet that reduces the wind. I honesty think covering up is the only solution, so any helmet you like the look of. Not a very PC suggestion, but would ear plugs help?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    w00dster wrote:
    I have to ride in ear covers all summer due to getting ear ache from the wind. Doesn't have to be windy, its just the movement of air passed the ear.
    I've not found any helmet that reduces the wind. I honesty think covering up is the only solution, so any helmet you like the look of. Not a very PC suggestion, but would ear plugs help?
    Depends if you want to hear approaching cars etc........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Best helmet probably one that fits your head and is comfortable. I’ve got a Carnac one and I’m on my third Kask Mojito, both equally comfortable, I had a Decathlon B’Twin 900 one which I couldn’t wear for more than a few minutes.

As for tinnitus and straps, nah, makes no difference. Don’t wear my hearing aids on the bike but it’s definitely not cycling that’s made me go deaf.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Pretty much as the title - been looking at the spesh align mips for around £50 - I suffer from tinitus so do like something with hefty straps

Any suggestions....?
    I'd go for the cheapest Lazer MIPS option, but it's a bit more than your budget. But safety-wise they're super good from what I've read.
    I personally don't risk too much and ride within the city, so I got myself this spicy helmet in black&red: https://outdoorsly.org/best-mountain-bi ... /#product1
    It has not MIPS, nor WaveCel certification but looks cool, is aerodynamic and showed itself quite durable after my personal tests :D And all that for 30 bucks.
  • kingrollo
    Sorry though I had updated the thread. Went with a Kask rapido - very happy with it.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Sorry though I had updated the thread. Went with a Kask rapido - very happy with it.
    I also had an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably get one for myself next season.
  • pwinters wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    I also had an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably get one for myself next season.
    I have recenty bought the Rapido too - after previously having used a Kask K50 (which as far a I can tell is now being sold by Wiggle as on of their DHB helmets) and I have been very happy with my decision.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I have no experience of this product but it might help reduce wind noise.

https://www.cat-ears.com/
  • pwinters wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    I have recenty bought the Rapido too - after previously having used a Kask K50 (which as far a I can tell is now being sold by Wiggle as on of their DHB helmets) and I have been very happy with my decision.

I had one and didn't get on with it. My head must have been a really odd shape as loads of people swear by this lid.

I can also recommend the Carnac ones.
  • thanks for sharing