Tubeless rim tape

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
Currently running tubeless via Stans rim strips but I think the strip may be knackered as can hear a small leak from the valve stem base (goes quiet if I really tighten up the stem nut).

Before I strip it all off and find the strip is dead, do I just get another strip and go again or is now the time to try tape instead?

Any pros/cons to either option? If going for tape I was looking at the Peaty rim tape stuff and whatever core I fancy the look of.

This is all on a Mavic 319 rim so if I have any other constraints to consider? The rim strip worked, but never really felt "right", there was always some seepage where it felt like the bead wasn't properly in place.

Thanks
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Hard to tell if that's your issue.

A leak around the valve stem could just mean chuck in some more sealant and tighten the nut (as you have done).

If the tape has degraded/split around the valve, then it might be best to replace anyway.

IIRC your 319's are not tubeless (UST) ready? I have 419's that are UST and I fitted the Mavic UST rim strip. Fitted really well and never had an issue. No need for tape.

https://www.bike24.com/p265984.html

For my other wheels (WTB i23 KOM and E13), my current preference is Gorilla Tape - as it seems to work very well and loads of people & bike shops use it. Always put 2 layers on just to be sure.

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/gori ... -p-4917435

I had some Stans tape and on my last tubeless attempt it took ages (and a lot of sealant) to finally get the tyre to stay up. I didn't double tape and it just didn't seem to fit/stick as snugly. Switched to Gorilla tape and never had an issue.

For valves, I usually get Stan's 35mm.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    This is where I like my old mavic en821 ust wheels no faffing about with rim tape.

I'd say try the rim tape method but might depend if you can get some to fit your wheels as is the internal diameter 19mm?

I've seen tape in various widths but just make sure you get the correct one to fit your wheels, I think peaty does a kit now with tape and valves to convert wheels over to tubeless etc.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Another vote for Gorilla tape here. it was recommended to me by the Sherwood Pines bike maintenance guys. They fit it to all their tubeless set ups.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I use Gorilla tape on all my tubeless setup wheels, it works just fine :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Using Tesa rim tape here, like this https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/t ... -32mm-x66m
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Get the Gorilla tape in black and it looks like carbon fibre! :D

No one will see it but you, but you know it's there and you will ride faster! :lol:
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Same here - gorilla tape for me.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Gorilla tape not failed me yet. And cheap!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    Ok, sounds like I'll give Gorilla tape a try. Are you having to unwind some and trim it down before fitting? Looks like it comes in 25mm width and my rims are only 19mm internal.
    "I ride to eat"
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I'm pretty sure I used the 25mm Gorilla tape inside my 19mm rims with no trimming - the 'U'-shape of the rim took up the extra width of the tape. So far, so good (after nearly 2 years and a couple of thousand miles).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Stuart_C wrote:
    Ok, sounds like I'll give Gorilla tape a try. Are you having to unwind some and trim it down before fitting? Looks like it comes in 25mm width and my rims are only 19mm internal.

I pre-cut to correct width with stanley knife when still on roll and then apply the trip to the rims...

..like this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR2pfg ... 2z8iQoP_jg

Chris
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Stuart_C wrote:
    Currently running tubeless via Stans rim strips but I think the strip may be knackered as can hear a small leak from the valve stem base (goes quiet if I really tighten up the stem nut).

Before I strip it all off and find the strip is dead, do I just get another strip and go again or is now the time to try tape instead?
    It could just be the valve if there's no leaks through spoke holes elsewhere. My (second hand) bike had Stans valves fitted but they were leaking, and tightening it up solved the problem for a while but eventually it broke the rubber bung on the inside.
    I replaced them for some cheap generic ones from Uberbike because I was ordering stuff from them anyway and they had a sale on.

If you swap the valve and still find the tape needs doing then I'd also recommend gorilla tape - because it's cheap and it works.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Stans tape (if you do it correctly - unlike the guy I bought the bike off) but it was expensive and as it was my first tubeless setup I didn't want to waste money if it all went wrong and I had to redo it a few times.
    Remember to clean the rim before putting the new tape on, but I guess you already know that.