Giro 2019, Stage 12: Cuneo - Pinerolo 146 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 12: Cuneo - Pinerolo 146 km

Thursday, May 23rd

START TIME: 13.10 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

The 12th stage of the Giro d'Italia runs from Cuneo to Pinerolo and amounts to 158 kilometres. The mountains finally start, with the toughest climb is crested with 32 kilometres remaining, although the finale is pepped up with a steep and cobbled ramp.

0wc4rij.jpg?1

G19_T12_Pinerolo_alt_jpg-3.jpg

It is seventy years ago since Fausto Coppi won the Giro d’Italia and the Tour de France for the first time in the same year. He did it again in 1952, but it was also in 1949 that Il Campionissimo left his rival Gino Bartali by 11 minutes on a 254 kilometres route between Cuneo and Pinerolo. He rode 192 kilometres alone through the Alps to set up that year’s GC victory.

16243.jpg

Obviously, given the distance of 158 kilometres, the 12th stage on the 2019 Giro d’Italia could not include all the same climbs – Col de la Madeleine, Col de Vars, Col d’Izoard, Colle del Monginevro and Sestriere.
The 2019 race covers far easier climbs on the road to Pinerolo. However, the Montoso (GPM1, 8.8 km at 9.5%) climb has never been ridden in the Giro. It is by far the biggest challenge the riders had to face up to now, featuring 6 km consistently over 10% on a narrow road.

G19_T12_S01_Montoso_SAL_jpg-3.jpg

The top is at 32 km to go, the first 10 being a wide but technical (and steep) descent to Bagnolo, where the road will become pan flat. Here the riders will reach Cavour again and repeat the same route they made earlier. From Bagnolo to the wall there are 19 km an flat and straight roads.

Final kilometres

2,500 m before the finish, the route takes a sharp left-hand turn and climbs up the narrow Via Principi d’Acaja (450 m with an average 14% gradient and peaks of 20%, on road pavers).

G19_T12_Pinerolo_ukm_jpg.jpg

Next is a steep and harsh descent leading into Pinerolo. The last 1,500 m are on level roads, with just a few bends and a short stretch on stone-slab paving. The finish line sits at the end of a 350 m long homestretch, on 8 m wide tarmac.

race-12-route-finish.jpg

Favourites 12th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Primoz Roglic, Diego Ulissi, Thomas de Gendt.
** Enrico Battaglin, Enrico Gaparotto, Esteban Chaves
* Bauke Mollema, Vincenzo Nibali, Davide Formolo, Gianluca Brambilla

CUNEO

Cuneo, founded in 1198, takes its name from the wedge-shaped plateau (534 m) where it is located, at the junction between the Gesso stream and the Stura river. Piazza Galimberti is the heart of the town with its traditional Tuesday market and Museo Casa Galimberti.
The historical centre was restored and among the civil buildings that deserve a visit, we suggest the Town Hall and the Civic Tower, where you can enjoy a delightful view of the Alps. The ancient church and monastery of San Francesco houses the Civic Museum. The Gesso and Stura Rivers Parkland currently covers an area of some 4,000 hectares and it includes 10 different municipalities; it represents a link between the mountain area and the plain.

GASTRONOMY

Do not miss the chance to taste: the flavorous chocolate and rum pralines called “Cuneesi” (which were also highly appreciated by Ernest Hemingway, as he came to Cuneo in 1954), Cuneo salami, P.D.O. cheeses, marron glaceé, chestnut Cuneo cakes, smoked trouts.

cuneesi-al-rhum.jpg

PINEROLO

Pinerolo (Pinareul in Piedmontese, Pineiròl in Occitan, Pignerol in French, Pinarolium / Pinerolium in Latin) is an Italian municipality of 35 944 inhabitants of the metropolitan city of Turin.To visit the city means to discover its medieval heart, its history of Savoy, the three French dominations until the birth of the School of Cavalry. The city, center of an area called Pinerolese, has been influenced by french culture, traditions and history. Pinerolese, that extends from Turin to France, has got a strong identity and a beautiful cultural heritage. In this area a lot of religious battles took place, whose tracks are still visible, and now different confessions coexist. During this tour you will see the most important buildings of Pinerolo and its neighborhood.
City Center: Pinerolo is famous for its medieval history and its legends. In the old town stones and manuscripts tell stories about important characters of the past, as Acaja, Ortensia of Piossasco and the Iron Mask. Visiting Pinerolo you can feel the medieval atmosphere, admiring ancient buildings, hidden courts and medieval houses. From Saint Donato’s Cathedral, through Via Principi D’Acaja you will reach Saint Maurice square, where you can see a beautiful view of town and plain on one side and of Waldesian Valleys on the other side.

aerea-Pinerolo-.jpg
S-Mauriz-M-Viso-.jpg

GASTRONOMY

Typical products: Torta Zurich, Pinerolese low panettone glazed with Piedmont hazelnut I.G.P., chocolates produced in local chocolate shops / Cheeses: Tomino di talucco, Seirass

52991537_1233195026835378_4278557729621531648_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com

/ Le mele di Cavour Meat and sausages: mustardela. Unmissable: bagna caoda, boiled mixed Piedmontese, braised in Barolo. Typical dishes of the Waldensian cuisine: planar, capounet, cabbage leaf rolls and the lou tourtel potato omelette. Among the first courses, the supa barbetta, with its variations, the polenta dousa and the traditional calhiettes (is of the Germanasca val) made with grated potatoes, sausage cooked in milk and onions. Liqueurs: Genepy.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited May 2019
    A reduced bunch sprint . Probably including Pavel tonkov, thou I favour garzelli in a small group sprint
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • blazing_saddles
    Dabber wrote:

That is already being discussed here, where it belongs.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13103774&start=80
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Dabber wrote:

That is already being discussed here, where it belongs.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13103774&start=80

Fair enough...hadn't seen it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Now that the aperitivo has been completed will the real Giro please stand up?
    :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Is it correct info that Viviani has jacked it as well as Ewan?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    yup
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Anyone got a klaxon ready to wake us up if there is any action?
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    There are some tough semi pro races round Cuneo - does anyone know of a 4 dayer I think JE James used to go each year ?
  • specialgueststar
    Breakdown of contenders by time to the leader ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    That sort of depends who you consider a contender. But there's some times compared to Roglic

(Conti -1.50)
    Roglic -
    Amador 0.49
    Bilbao 1.42
    Nibali 1.44
    Mollema 1.55
    Jungels 2.18
    Majka 2.53
    Oomen 3.12
    Carapaz 3.16
    Zakarin 3.32
    Yates 3.46
    Lopez 4.29
    Landa 4.52
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    What's the run off the climb like? Easy or difficult?
  • specialgueststar
    RichN95 wrote:
    That sort of depends who you consider a contender. But there's some times compared to Roglic

(Conti -1.50)
    Roglic -
    Amador 0.49
    Bilbao 1.42
    Nibali 1.44
    Mollema 1.55
    Jungels 2.18
    Majka 2.53
    Oomen 3.12
    Carapaz 3.16
    Zakarin 3.32
    Yates 3.46
    Lopez 4.29
    Landa 4.52

Thanks - you look at nearly all that list and think maybe but probably naa - they all seem top 10 ...if there was ever a chance for Jungels or Oomen ….!!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

Looks pretty wiggly, and just as steep as the ascent (possibly a bit more) averaging 10% over a few km.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i hope the weathers good and the descent really stresses out the favourites. This could be a shocker after a break and long flat stretches. all back together by the end though i suspect.

Seconds out let the Giro begin.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    good picture at the top. should have had a gravel bike with 28mm tubeless tyres and discbrakes :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    orraloon wrote:

BIt of a fail for Elia...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    ddraver wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Once he got deducted those points, there was no great benefit in him going the distance with only stage 18 left as a possibility.

He just didn't look on his game here though. Yesterday again he was looking for which wheel to follow right up to the finish line.
  • kingstongraham

Looks pretty wiggly, and just as steep as the ascent (possibly a bit more) averaging 10% over a few km.

https://veloviewer.com/segments/4855785
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    ddraver wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Once he got deducted those points, there was no great benefit in him going the distance with only stage 18 left as a possibility.

He just didn't look on his game here though. Yesterday again he was looking for which wheel to follow right up to the finish line.

Where would he be in the points classification if he officially won the stage that he 'won'? Anywhere?

I agree, whats the point, better for the team and Vivi to go home. They're professionals, not finishing the Giro just for the sake of it.
  • kingstongraham
    joey54321 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Where would he be in the points classification if he officially won the stage that he 'won'? Anywhere?

I agree, whats the point, better for the team and Vivi to go home. They're professionals, not finishing the Giro just for the sake of it.

He'd have 100 more points, and Demare would have 15 less, I think. So 139 for Viviani, 179 for Demare.
  • specialgueststar
    They are off first stage I am following properly

The Gendt meister is awake

thomasdegendt-1024x683.jpg
  • mididoctors
    UAE trying to get in break? Leave it to Jumbo if I was any of the contenders
  • blazing_saddles
    So, Rai and Eurosport go live just as everything seems to have settled down, with a big breakaway moving on up the road...
  • rick_chasey
    Big group 20 riders.
  • mididoctors
    UAE played the right card .
  • rick_chasey
    Group 1
    +0:00
    BIB RIDER TEAM X
    8 SÜTTERLIN Jasha MOV X
    21 GAVAZZI Francesco ANS X
    27 MONTAGUTI Matteo ANS X
    33 BOARO Manuele AST X
    34 CATALDO Dario AST X
    44 CARUSO Damiano TBM X
    53 COVILI Luca BRD X
    57 SENNI Manuel BRD X
    63 BENEDETTI Cesare BOH X
    72 ČERNÝ Josef CCC X
    82 CAPECCHI Eros DQT X
    92 BENNETT Sean EF1 X
    105 LUDVIGSSON Tobias GFC X
    114 DUNNE Conor ICA X
    124 DE GENDT Thomas LTS X
    126 KLUGE Roger LTS X
    153 GASPAROTTO Enrico TDD X
    158 WYSS Danilo TDD X
    162 DUNBAR Eddie INS X
    165 KNEES Christian INS X
    183 BIERMANS Jenthe TKA X
    184 HALLER Marco TKA X
    192 BAKELANTS Jan SUN X
    202 BRAMBILLA Gianluca TFS X
    217 POLANC Jan UAD X
  • rick_chasey
    Break is 8 mins up the road, the winner will be from that lot.

Standouts:
    DE GENDT Thomas LT
    GASPAROTTO Enrico
    BAKELANTS Jan
    CARUSO Damiano

Any others?