Drink bottle rubbing on frame. How to stop it?

Darius_Jedburgh
Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
edited May 2019 in Workshop
I gave a carbon fibre Canondale Syntace, which has Canondale drink bottle holders fitted. They are both a little too far down the tubes for my liking. The problem is with the seat tube.

The bosses are so low that my drinks bottle rubs against the down tube. It has already worn a slight mark in the lacquer, and it is only going to get worse.

I've got the cage as high as I can get it, and there is no scope to enlarge the holes with a dremel or similar.

I want some means of lifting the height of the cage but cant workout how to do this. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Use different cages with longer slots and/or more holes. Elite Custom would be a good choice...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Alternative could be to put a stop on the bottle cage to prevent the bottle going down quite so far - shouldn't need much - a few mm may do it?
  • Thanks. @Slowbike...I've just been doing that. I sacrificed a couple of the cheapo interlocking brake levers. Cut them to length and zip tiesd them to the bottom of the cage. We will see how that works.

If all else fails I'll wander round LBS and see what they have as alternatives. Knowing my luck I'll finish up buying one of every make before I find one that fits!!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    getting rid of one cage and fitting an underseat replacement is a drastic yet feasible solution in a hydrational dilemma such as this.

#hydration
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    File the bottom of the bottle cage slots to allow more upward travel.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    getting rid of one cage and fitting an underseat replacement is a drastic yet feasible solution in a hydrational dilemma such as this.

#hydration

This is not a solution, it's wrong on so many levels here are 2

1 it looks wrong
    2 triathletes do this sort of thing

#respectthebike
  • Manglier wrote:
    Can't do that as mention in opening post.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Manglier wrote:
    Can't do that as mention in opening post.
    What about a metal strip that you fix to bottle cage holes but has two other threaded holes that sit your bottle cage higher up the tube.
    I’m sure I have seen something for sale that does this but I can’t think where.
  • Matthewfalle
    just make it - strip of metal from b&q, cut to lebgth needed, drill the holes where you want, fit. 10 minute job

#hydration

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

#hydration

1 it looks wrong

#respectthebike

it was touted for discussion as a solution to the OPs hydrational issue. it would work.

#hydration
    #betterthandying

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • just make it - strip of metal from b&q, cut to lebgth needed, drill the holes where you want, fit. 10 minute job

#hydration
    And how do I fit the cage to the metal strip without nuts and bolts rubbing into the seat tube whilst still not protruding so far into the cage that I can get the bottle in or out.

That has already been tried and failed.
  • getting rid of one cage and fitting an underseat replacement is a drastic yet feasible solution in a hydrational dilemma such as this.

#hydration

1 it looks wrong

#respectthebike

it was touted for discussion as a solution to the OPs hydrational issue. it would work.

#hydration
    #betterthandying

Nope. No way. Wrong on so many counts.
  • Matthewfalle
    alternatively, a bit of tape over where it rubs?

#stickysolution

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • alternatively, a bit of tape over where it rubs?

#stickysolution
    I have had a piece of inner tube zip tied there, but it looks effin' ugly, so I'm after a nice tidy solution.

The bike cost a tidy sum so I don't want it looking scruffy.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Just buy a different bottle cage.
  • Matthewfalle
    alternatively, a bit of tape over where it rubs?

#stickysolution
    I have had a piece of inner tube zip tied there, but it looks effin' ugly, so I'm after a nice tidy solution.

The bike cost a tidy sum so I don't want it looking scruffy.

is it all ok under ties/tube?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    If you don't want to change the cage, put a small circle of helicopter tape on the downtube. Alternatively try a Camelbak podium bottle. The bottom of the bottle has a large chamfered edge which might stop the bottle touching the frame.
  • webboo
    just make it - strip of metal from b&q, cut to lebgth needed, drill the holes where you want, fit. 10 minute job

#hydration
    And how do I fit the cage to the metal strip without nuts and bolts rubbing into the seat tube whilst still not protruding so far into the cage that I can get the bottle in or out.

You could glue in some bottle cage bosses or drill and tap the holes to fit the bottle cage screws.
  • Just buy a different bottle cage.
    Please tell me which one I should buy?
    There's no way I'm going to buy every bleeding cage in the hope that eventually I will get one that suits.

These are Canondale cages on a Canondale frame. The obvious conclusion is that they are fit for purpose. They are not. So which manufacturer makes appropriate ones?

Maybe you would like to send me a sample of every cage on the market and I'll decide which I want to keep.

There are some good replies on here, but a couple of total *****s as well.
  • Webboo wrote:

#hydration

You could glue in some bottle cage bosses or drill and tap the holes to fit the bottle cage screws.

In carbon fibre?
    Someone else who hadn't bothered to read the first line of the thread.

Think I'll try and get a mod to shut this down.
    Idiots to the right, idiots to the left, into the forum of idiots rode the unsuspecting.
  • webboo
    Webboo wrote:

#hydration

In carbon fibre?

Idiots to the right, idiots to the left, into the forum of idiots rode the unsuspecting.
    Before you start calling me out you need to actually read what I have posted. So as you appear to have difficulty grasping what I mean. I will try again. Get a metal strip an inch or so longer than the spacing of your bottle cage bolts, drill two holes so you can fix it where your bottle cage goes. Have these positioned so they are towards one end of the strip.
    Drill two other holes which you will need to tap a thread that the bottle cage screws will screw in to. These holes will need to be off set so you can fasten your bottle cage to the strip so it’s higher up your down tube.
    Where you got the idea anyone was suggesting drilling your frame god knows.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Firstly, there are no mods on these forums. Not even a decent admin, now that Josh is gone. Secondly (and thanks entirely to the first point) this is what passes for discourse on here these days.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the helicopter tape. I'd go with that before swapping out bottle cages. Costs pence and protects the frame.
  • webboo
    monkimark wrote:
    That’s the thing I’d seen but I couldn’t think where though. However I think the op has flounced off somewhere.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Just buy a different bottle cage.
    Please tell me which one I should buy?
    There's no way I'm going to buy every bleeding cage in the hope that eventually I will get one that suits.

These are Canondale cages on a Canondale frame. The obvious conclusion is that they are fit for purpose. They are not. So which manufacturer makes appropriate ones?

Maybe you would like to send me a sample of every cage on the market and I'll decide which I want to keep.

There are some good replies on here, but a couple of total *****s as well.

Why don’t you take your crap bike and your crap attitude to a lbs and ask them to offer a few cages up to your crap frame and see which work.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    monkimark wrote:
    That’s the thing I’d seen but I couldn’t think where though. However I think the op has flounced off somewhere.

exactly - its a strip of metal with two washers under it where the bolts go to space it out. he's not the cleverest or most grateful so stuff him. he's probably worn a load of the paint off it under the cable ties and bit of inner tube he stuck on there.

none of this is actually very difficult anyway if you have a brain.

its a cr4p bike anyhow so the scratches probably improve it.

#zerocares

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:

#hydration

In carbon fibre?

anyhow, yes in carbon fibre.

drill a hole. stick a riv nut in. screw in bottle cage. its not that difficult - its a mass produced Taiwanese plastic frame. You don't honestly think its hand crafted exotica do you?

either way, no one actually cares.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited May 2019
    anyhow, yes in carbon fibre.

drill a hole. stick a riv nut in. screw in bottle cage. its not that difficult - its a mass produced Taiwanese plastic frame. You don't honestly think its hand crafted exotica do you?

either way, no one actually cares.

How could a bottle causing a slight frame rub turn into get you drill out and start drilling and riveting your frame? BAD ADVICE!!
    As you would put it #sledgehammertocrackanut.
    Also all carbon frames are handcrafted, "exotica" or not.
  • jeddy11
    jeddy11 Posts: 16
    The simple solution is to buy another cage - take the old one and measure up against new ones would save buying loads to try or even use a tape measure ?

I think all the comments are helpful ..