Giro 2019, Stage 11: Carpi - Novi Ligure 221 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 11: Carpi - Novi Ligure 221 km

Wednesday, May 22nd

START TIME: 11.55 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Basically an identical stage to yesterday's just 80kms longer. Riders are therefore in danger of falling alseep, mid stage and crashing.
The 11th stage of the Giro d'Italia starts in Carpi to travel to Novi Ligure. At 221 kilometres, the race is played out on the Po Plains with a bunch sprint next to certain. It has been a while since the Giro d’Italia last visited Carpi. In 2008, a flat stage from Forlì finished in town with Daniele Bennati outsprinting Mark Cavendish and Robbie McEwen.

G19_T11_NoviLigure_plan.jpg

G19_T11_NoviLigure_alt.jpg

This time the Italian Grand Tour leaves from Carpi to travel to Novi Ligure, where Fausto Coppi lived a large part of his life. The route travels the Po Plains and moves through Reggio Emilia, Parma, Piacenza, Voghera and Tortona. A bunch sprint is the most likely outcome, yet the 2010 Giro finish in Novi Ligure resulted in early attacker Jérôme Pineau taking the flowers. With Yukiya Arashiro and Julien Fouchard he managed to hold off the chasing pack.
The 11th stage of the 2019 Giro travels on pan-flat roads to the edge of the Po Valley. The route follows the itinerary of Milan-San Remo, but avoids any obstacles in the finale.

Final kilometres
The last 3 km are virtually straight, with some roundabouts in-between that will require no major diversions. The last bend is 3,000 m from the finish line. The home straight is 2,800 m long, on 7.5 m wide asphalt road.

amzKvnL.jpg?1

G19_T11_NoviLigure_ukm-1.jpg

Favourites 11th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Pascal Ackermann, Elia Viviani
** Arnaud Démare, Davide Cimolai, Caleb Ewan
* Matteo Moschetti, Giacomo Nizzolo, Ryan Gibbons

CARPI

Carpi, a pearl of the Renaissance: that appeared to the German travellers of the late XIX the ancient seigniory of Pio and even today bears witness to the recently restored Pio Palace – home of the most museums of the city. Nowadays Carpi is a lively city, thanks to its industries and handcraft, trade and its commercial and cultural exchange, its artistic and scientific life. It’s a city that never stops and offers a packed calendar of events throughout the year.

Carpi4.jpg

NOVI LIGURE
HISTORY

Inhabitants: 28.286

Early Name: Curtis Nova

Foundation: Early Middle Ages. Probably part of the first inhabitants came from the nearby Roman city of Libarna, after leaving the site right before the fall of the West Roman Empire.

The city of Novi Ligure lies at the foot of the hills where the renowned Gavi wine was born, in the south-east side of Alto Monferrato, on the left borders of the river Scrivia valley. Visiting Novi Ligure will give you the chance to discover the historic centre and its Genoese-style palazzi with their typical painted facades, and also the Museo dei Campionissimi, a museum built in honor of the great road cyclists, campionissimi Costante Girardengo and Fausto Coppi. In the museum you can discover the history of cyclism through memorabilia, historical bycicles and various objects of the past and present day. Some of its rooms are especially dedicated to temporary exhibitions.
Between XVII and XVIII century Novi was the favourite resort of the wealthiest Geonoese families; this fact explains the presence of palazzi built in genoese architectural style.

The most important square is called Piazza Delle Piane, named after a historical noble family, where are located the Palazzo of the same name, the Collegiata church and Palazzo Negroni, with two painted sundials, one of these based on the French Revolutionary calendar. Novi Ligure still keeps a portion of the city walls built in 1447 and then partly demolished in 1825. The only part of the castle (dismantled in XVIII century) left is the 30 meters high tower.
Near the historic centre you can find the Museo dei Campionissimi, inaugurated in 2003. It was named after the two cyclism champions Fausto Coppi e Costante Girandengo, called by journalists Campionissimi. The museum is a 3.000 sq.m. building dedicated to the history of bycicle and cyclism. It often also hosts concerts, conferences, performances and art exhibitions. We suggest you to visit in the city’s surroundings also the town of Bosco Marenco with the historical complex of Santa Croce and Vasari’s paintings, the castles of Monferrato, the hiking trails between Capanne di Marcarolo and Val Borbera, the archeological site of Libarna, an ancient roman city along the Via Postumia, the town of Gavi and its fortress, the Pinacoteca dei Cappuccini di Voltaggio, with paintings of the XVII century by genoeses masters such as Domenico Fiasella, Bernardo Strozzi and Sinibaldo Scorza.

GASTRONOMY

In this part of Piedmont close to the border with Liguria, both food and wine show the influence of both regional traditions. The most remarkable delicacies are farinata,
farinata.jpg
panissa, novese focaccia, agnolotti, corzetti (typical homemade rounded pasta dish with stamps of the historic districts symbols on it),
corzetti-plate_orig.jpg
Gavi’s testa in cassetta [Slow Food Presidia],
finalborgo-testa-in-cassetta.jpg
Montebore cheese (Slow Food Praesidia), district of Merella’s chickpeas and Otto File Tortonese corn, baci di dama, amaretti biscuits, canestrelli with Gavi wine
2016-Malgra-Poggio-Basco-Gavi-del-Cummune-di-Gavi-DOCG-white-wine-Piedmont-Italy.jpg
and boiled canestrelli.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    "We need a gimmick for this year's route!"
    "Mauro, we talked about this..."
    "This is the GIro!"
    "Mauro..."
    "Higher! Steeper!"
    "Mauro, please, no..."
    "What about-"
    "Mauro..."
    "FLATTER!"
    "Please no..."
    "Flatter - AND LONGER!!!"
    "Mauro, please, no - I'm begging you."
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I fancy petacchi or Tom steels for this
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I fancy petacchi or Tom steels for this
    Surely a red cippo train at 70kph
  • Wait a minute

*does quick calculation*

that profile has nearly 200m of climbing

*puts house on Yates winning*

*lights cigar*
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Wait a minute

*does quick calculation*

that profile has nearly 200m of climbing

*puts house on Yates winning*

*lights cigar*

That's almost 4 laps of Richmond Park without the descents - surely counts as hilly.
  • blazing_saddles
    Soon be over. Only 168kms to go.
  • Soon be over. Only 168kms to go.

will be fine as long as I stay away from the scissors
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Are we nearly there yet?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    it is sunny!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Beef in the peloton for your amusement

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... ackermann/
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Beef in the peloton for your amusement

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... ackermann/

"Sprinter is considered over confident" shocker.
  • mididoctors
    Are we nearly there yet?
    No
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Demarre just won that intermediate and is now leader in the jersey 'that looks like shiraz on a white carpet' competition or ciclomina for short
  • mididoctors
    Demarre just won that intermediate and is now leader in the jersey 'that looks like shiraz on a white carpet' competition or ciclomina for short
    has to drag himself over the hills first
  • blazing_saddles
    Who would have thought? The RCS have managed to come up with the visual equivalent of waterboarding.
    I've cracked completely and given up. :lol:
  • Hatch has been delving through the archives overnight to fill the extensive amount of space in the commentary - 'Ah, Tortona, I seem to remember the stage to here two years ago when one Francesco Gaviria won....'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242

has to find a car to drag him over the hills more like.
  • mididoctors

has to find a car to drag him over the hills more like.
    He is a bit of a unit
  • blazing_saddles
    Speeds up. Almost time for a crash...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Conor Dunne: Towering above the rest.

On the plus side, some bumps in the road tomorrow.
    You never know, what with Yates' deficit, things could get really interesting. Speshly with no team domination.

What's Ackerman like uphill?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mididoctors
    Let's all get on the front
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    FFS
  • mididoctors
    Not bad .viviani had the right idea but not the right legs
  • blazing_saddles
    Rick will love the result.
    Ackermann too early again finished 3rd, behind Demare and winner, Caleb Ewan.
    Viviani is going backwards and will probably quit the race, having limped home in 4th.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2019
    Rick will love the result.
    Ackermann too early again finished 3rd, behind Demare and winner, Caleb Ewan.
    Viviani is going backwards and will probably quit the race, having limped home in 4th.
    Demare looks like he is getting stronger
  • pinno
    The podium girls didn't have to step up to kiss Caleb. I guess that's why he smiled.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    “Being a cheerful hobbit, he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.”

and regarding tomorrow's stage,

“The Lonely Mountain! Caleb had come far and through many adventures to see it, and now he didn't like the look of it in the least.”
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pinno wrote:
    Conor Dunne: Towering above the rest.

On the plus side, some bumps in the road tomorrow.
    You never know, what with Yates' deficit, things could get really interesting. Speshly with no team domination.

What's Ackerman like uphill?
    He was there or there abouts on the uphill finish on stage 4 when Demare, Gaviria and Viviani were dropped, although not sure on longer climbs.
    I think considering the state of him yesterday he looked pretty good today. Seemed strong as ever in the finish and if anything it was maybe Selig taking it up it up a little to early which cost him.
  • pinno
    So will Démare or Ackerman finish the Giro... There's still only 11 points in it.
    Stage 18 possible sprint finish?
    I think whatever remaining intermediates there are will be contested. There's not a lot else.

Can't seem to find who was the youngest winner of the points classification unless Coppi did it when he first won it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pinno wrote:
    Can't seem to find who was the youngest winner of the points classification unless Coppi did it when he first won it.
    Beppe Saronni - 21 in 1979. He also won the Pink Jersey.

Ackermann's not particularly young. He's older than Ewan.
    Twitter: @RichN95