Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Bloody Wiggle

superkennerssuperkenners Posts: 169
edited June 2019 in Road general
Since when did they start charging for returns (unless you live near an ASDA)?

I don't return too much but makes the difference between using them (for clothes certainly as sizing and fit never matches properly) and others (not that many are left - which I guess is why they now charge)
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
«1

Posts

  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    Since recently... I think it is to deter serial returners which apparently is quite a UK hobby.
    Probably other retailers might go the same way.
    Asda method .. well that needs work as it failed bad style for me, so I coughed up the 2.95 to return a mushroom helmet.
    Faulty goods, I think you get reimbursed, but for things that just don't 'suit' , well.... buyer beware.
  • bonzo_bananabonzo_banana Posts: 255
    Surely people should always pay for returns unless the goods are faulty or incorrectly described. Otherwise people who order correctly end up subsidising those who are serial returners. Also with the demise of many high street shops it's not a bad idea to make people pay for returns, perhaps it will mean a few more people shop on the high street.
  • Free returns puts the prices of everything up. The service has to be paid for somewhere.

    Charging for overordered returns keep prices down, and will deter those who overorder for the sake of it.
  • superkennerssuperkenners Posts: 169
    Of course everything is in the price, but I don't see them cutting prices to compensate for this, in fact Wiggle prices have been creeping up for a while since they killed the competition off (LBSs and online).

    Internet shopping is above convenience and free returns part of that, so for stuff I'm not 100% sure on I won't bother ordering (specifically clothing where sizes are all over the place and the size guides are never accurate).

    And I don't think this is about people abusing the free system, I think Wiggle customers are different from the ASOS's of the world where fast fashion generates much higher returns.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

    Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 12,006
    If you don't have a physical presence to allow people to try for size, it's a cheek to charge for returns. (This is unless you are charging really low prices.)

    Free returns also increases sales. There's a balance between the cost of the return to the retailer and the increased profit from the additional sale.
  • mrfpbmrfpb Posts: 4,480
    Never mind the returns. My last two parcels had NO Haribo.
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    I certainly do not blame Wiggle for the manufacturers' inability to get sizing guides accurate.
    I am doing a fair number of longer TTs this summer (if we get 1) so I am going to treat myself to the Sportful Bodyfit skinsuit which apparently I need in XL. With the W discounting, it is nearly £50 cheaper than the nearest other retailer and in stock, so I will take a chance and order.. I do expect double Haribo.
  • backobacko Posts: 167
    surely they cover the free returns by not paying high street rent prices
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 906
    Free returns are non sustainable, beyond the price of postage, there is the handling, admin and dealing with damaged packaging in some way. There must be a high 'write off' element with returned stuff in various ways. On line retail has still to settle down properly.
  • mangliermanglier Posts: 683
    My local Asda has no knowlege of the returns system. When I went there to return an item the staff just looked blank and said, "Never heard of it."
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,286
    And my local, admittedly tiny, ASDA has apparently disappeared. Never used it for returning anything but it was handy as a free collection point for Decathlon stuff :(
  • superkennerssuperkenners Posts: 169
    jgsi wrote:
    I certainly do not blame Wiggle for the manufacturers' inability to get sizing guides accurate.

    Its not beyond Wiggle to actually improve on this area if they wanted to, it would require a bit of investment but they could do it. As it stands they just cut and paste which shows scant attention to customers needs. One of the reasons I expect was they know customers would just order a couple and return anything that didn't fit.

    I would guess motive now is to show an increase in profits by increasing margins as private equity owners look to exit. Perfect time to do this with LBSs and some of the high street brands dead (or dying).

    This is cycle, next phase will be new player trying to get mkt share by discounting until Wiggle suffer!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

    Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • RoktRokt Posts: 493
    I’m as guilty as anyone for favouring the likes of Wiggle over my local bike shops and purely over price and choice. After several issues of late with online retailers I made the conscious decision to start using my LBS again, and guess what, they have a great range, brilliant customer service and everything I’ve purchased so far has been cheaper.
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    jgsi wrote:
    I certainly do not blame Wiggle for the manufacturers' inability to get sizing guides accurate.

    Its not beyond Wiggle to actually improve on this area if they wanted to, it would require a bit of investment but they could do it. As it stands they just cut and paste which shows scant attention to customers needs. One of the reasons I expect was they know customers would just order a couple and return anything that didn't fit.

    I would guess motive now is to show an increase in profits by increasing margins as private equity owners look to exit. Perfect time to do this with LBSs and some of the high street brands dead (or dying).

    This is cycle, next phase will be new player trying to get mkt share by discounting until Wiggle suffer!

    They were making a loss last I knew.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    chippyk wrote:
    They were making a loss last I knew.

    genuine loss ? or loss in the way that private equity companies use to smooth their accounts ?

    put it this way its felt obvious to me that Arcadia are in a bit of trouble financially and have been for a while, because nearly all their store brands have been running near perpetual discounted stock and sales for months and months and constantly emailing me about it.

    for all the many money off variation discounting Wiggle have at the moment, they arent stuck in a permanent never ending sale mode, theres plenty of stuff still at full price, even if it feels like they are maximising every penny they can by charging for returns and I havent had haribo for ages from them, cut back on sponsorship/adverts etc, and the dhb range hasnt really seemed to have had the kind of new season massive launch releases of the past, we're almost halfway through the year already and Ive not noticed lots of bundles of new kit appearing from them.
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 927
    Never mind the lack of haribo and paid returns.
    My last two boxes were destroyed and I could see all the products inside.
  • rafletcherrafletcher Posts: 1,160
    awavey wrote:
    chippyk wrote:
    put it this way its felt obvious to me that Arcadia are in a bit of trouble financially and have been for a while, because nearly all their store brands have been running near perpetual discounted stock and sales for months and months and constantly emailing me about it.

    Bridgepoint Capital surely, nothing to do with Arcadia. And (at least until Brexit) Bike24 are still ok.
  • me-109me-109 Posts: 1,323
    dannbodge wrote:
    Never mind the lack of haribo and paid returns.
    My last two boxes were destroyed and I could see all the products inside.
    Had this myself and been surprised to see all the products still inside - nothing fancy or expensive mind so hardly worth taking.
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    Just an addition and I will add a review.
    I trusted the Sportful sizing guide and good job as well.
    I dont normally take XL but it was stated for my height and yes the Bodyfit Pro skinsuit is a very neat fit.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    me-109 wrote:
    dannbodge wrote:
    Never mind the lack of haribo and paid returns.
    My last two boxes were destroyed and I could see all the products inside.
    Had this myself and been surprised to see all the products still inside - nothing fancy or expensive mind so hardly worth taking.

    Yup, my last box was destroyed and open when I received it too. Nothing damaged so didn't think too much of it...but if it's a trend...?
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 927
    joey54321 wrote:
    me-109 wrote:
    dannbodge wrote:
    Never mind the lack of haribo and paid returns.
    My last two boxes were destroyed and I could see all the products inside.
    Had this myself and been surprised to see all the products still inside - nothing fancy or expensive mind so hardly worth taking.

    Yup, my last box was destroyed and open when I received it too. Nothing damaged so didn't think too much of it...but if it's a trend...?

    Seems more of a trend than a coincidence

    Doesn't help that the boxes are a really thin and censored plain cardboard now.
    The older "wiggle" branded ones were much better.

    They got a very shitty email from me about it especially because the 1st one had my OHs new Garmin in it!
    Luckily my Haribo were still in both.
  • Mad_MalxMad_Malx Posts: 4,044
    The sizing thing is really irritating. Even though Collect+ was very simple for me (point in convenience store 500m away) I'd much rather the goods were the actual fit claimed first time rather than having to rebag and return. If they are charging for this it'll put me off.
    I get that they need to contain return costs, but if the supplied product does not fit as advertised then the customer shouldn't be paying.
  • redvisionredvision Posts: 2,637
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The sizing thing is really irritating. Even though Collect+ was very simple for me (point in convenience store 500m away) I'd much rather the goods were the actual fit claimed first time rather than having to rebag and return. If they are charging for this it'll put me off.
    I get that they need to contain return costs, but if the supplied product does not fit as advertised then the customer shouldn't be paying.

    Good point but they have to recoup their costs one way or another. So if the returns continued to be free they would likely introduce a restocking fee or something.
    It's different with faulty goods but sizing is very unique (really p1sses me off how cycling clothing can vary so much in sizes).

    It's never bothered me paying to return clothing if I have ordered multiple sizes to find the right fit. And don't forget, if you pay through PayPal you can claim back return costs several times a year.
  • Mad_MalxMad_Malx Posts: 4,044
    ^ sure, but it does bother me having to pay extra postage when I follow the alleged sizing chart and the garment is several inches off the claimed dimensions.
    I know the solution is paying a bit more at the LBC but not many are able to keep a wide range of stock.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,371
    edited May 2019
    The whole culture of free returns (and free postage in some cases) cannot be sustainable surely.

    I know the local courier company guys having bought lots on line when I was renovating a house and of course, shiny bits in the post.
    One DPD guy said he can be fined for a late delivery and is fined up to £150 if he has an unscheduled day off.
    Another DPD bloke runs his as a franchise and delivered stuff on a Sunday!

    The free delivery puts enormous pressure on courier companies to deliver. It's cut throat (even if the whole of the UK seems to be serviced by vans/trucks).
    When White Arrow were active, a driver told me that he had to deliver a minimum 200+ parcels per day.

    Something has to give.

    I think we should all pay a delivery cost which has a percentage in it added on which would cover a 'free return' should you wish to.
    At least then, it's upfront, you are aware that you are paying extra for delivery knowing full well that you may not use it but it's there and the cost isn't passed on somewhere. Maybe this could include insurance. Damaged parcels are perhaps not always Wiggle's fault even if their packaging is getting less sturdy. If parcel delivery company employees weren't having to break their necks to make a living/hit deadlines, then perhaps your parcel from A to B is less likely to be man handled along the way.
    Perhaps a loyalty scheme where you get a %age off for not using the return option over time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JacksyeeJacksyee Posts: 48
    Interesting. it will make them suffer vs. Amazon and is short sighted. They should simply keep track and punish serial returners and simply let them know that they will have to pay to restock should they return.

    I had an amazon package disappear the other day after delivery and they instantly credited me and reordered. I imagine because I am not an abuser.

    Big data allows for customer selection and abusers should pay for themselves and themselves alone
  • JacksyeeJacksyee Posts: 48
    Jacksyee wrote:
    Interesting. it will make them suffer vs. Amazon and is short sighted. They should simply keep track and punish serial returners and simply let them know that they will have to pay to restock should they return.

    I had an amazon package disappear the other day after delivery and they instantly credited me and reordered. I imagine because I am not an abuser.

    Big data allows for customer selection and abusers should pay for themselves and themselves alone

    Free returns are staying, consumers want it and in general it works.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    nothing in life is free!!

    if free returns remain and remains increase the cost of the product will increase, the slack has to be taken up somewhere
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Free returns is likely much cheaper than renting bricks and mortar stores so it should be sustainable, it's just a case of who pays for it? Does it come out of consumers pockets or Wiggle's profit margins? I'd say it should be the latter, but that's just me.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    redvision wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The sizing thing is really irritating. Even though Collect+ was very simple for me (point in convenience store 500m away) I'd much rather the goods were the actual fit claimed first time rather than having to rebag and return. If they are charging for this it'll put me off.
    I get that they need to contain return costs, but if the supplied product does not fit as advertised then the customer shouldn't be paying.

    Good point but they have to recoup their costs one way or another. So if the returns continued to be free they would likely introduce a restocking fee or something.
    It's different with faulty goods but sizing is very unique (really p1sses me off how cycling clothing can vary so much in sizes).

    It's never bothered me paying to return clothing if I have ordered multiple sizes to find the right fit. And don't forget, if you pay through PayPal you can claim back return costs several times a year.

    There's also an element of buyers using items over a weekend and returning as wrong item or wrong size. The amount of stuff that they sell via their eBay shop that has clearly been used suggests its not a rarity.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
Sign In or Register to comment.