Giant Gavia tubeless

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited May 2019 in Road general
Recently hit a pothole which ruined my front propel SLR1 gavia tyre. Its the SLR tubeless which I am struggling to get hold of quickly. What I can get are some gavia ac 1's at a good price.

Was just wondering if anyone had these and if it would be a good enough switch? They seem heavier but at the same price, I can only assume that means better protection?

Thanks

Comments

• zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Seems like the ac1 is their more all round tire and the slr is more racing oriented so I guess you are correct about the extra protection.
  • chatlow
    yeah it's my guess. Bit strange though as all new propels come with the AC type tyre, not SLR
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Have to say my TCR flies with the Gavia, so much so I've not thought about GP5000/One etc yet.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    I used AC0 before as a training and commuting tyre. Comparing with Race 0, it rolls slower but grips better in the wet, but pro one even grips better than AC0 in both dry and wet. The mileage seems to be longer than race 0. Punched several times but the sealent worked, thanks to good luck.
    BTW, my friend's AC1 was punched by a nail and the hole was too big for the sealent, but I helped him patch it. Maybe you can try the glue and patch first.
  • chatlow
    thanks all! So Giant confirmed AC stands for all conditions and yes, grippier than the SLR gavia's I originally had, but with 70g weight penalty. The race 0/1 replaced the SL/SLR's.

The hole is more of a cut (7-8mm slice) which goes through. Tried using a skab on it but didn't hold when inflating. Maybe shop could repair as the tyre is in good nic otherwise so seems a little cr@p to buy new.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    A patch for tubeless repair with rubber solution should work as a fix.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I liked the Gavia's too. They felt fast (if that's a thing) and I never had a single puncture in 6500 miles.

I didn't like them much in the wet though.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • chatlow
    no, the tear was almost a cm so they have been binned. Shame at 50 quid a pop !
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Another vote for IRC Formula pro