Just when you think we've reached peak stupidity

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    The internet will eat itself.

Funny if it weren’t sad
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Interesting to learn how the conspiracy around that symbol came into being.

Unfortunately, whilst Luke's use of it may have been innocent it has gone beyond a conspiracy and has been whole-heartedly adopted by those on the far right as a symbol of their hatred towards immigrants, even being openly expressed in the Estonian parliament;

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-nat ... itter_page
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Took a quick glance at the stupid place to see what @ukpostal is all about. Wish I hadn't
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm glad I don't "do" social media - other than here, anything I publish tends to be on Facebook, for family and close friends only - I even disassociate myself from work by using a separate account. I wouldn't want to be a public figure.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The thing with Rowe is that he's been making the OK symbol in photos for at least as long as he's been on Instagram - which predates the co-opting of that symbol by Alt-Right trolls by a couple of years.

Cardiff's hardly a hotbed of white supremacy. This was our pro-Trump rally

1.jpg

Equally as stupid was someone claiming that Froome was trying to evade the whereabouts testers.

The evidence? He hadn't posted on Instagram for over a week.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

Equally as stupid was someone claiming that Froome was trying to evade the whereabouts testers.

The evidence? He hadn't posted on Instagram for over a week.

Did you not hear ADAMS had been replaced by Twitter and Instagram?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    This simply re-iterates my belief that twitter/facebook and the likes are for brain dead arseholes with so little else going on in their lives that they feel the need to comment on everyone else's.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    MugenSi wrote:
    This simply re-iterates my belief that twitter/facebook and the likes are for brain dead arseholes with so little else going on in their lives that they feel the need to comment on everyone else's.

:?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    MugenSi wrote:

A bit like online forums then ? ;-)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I think this has been part of his Twitter departure (flounce?) but there is also a sub-plot of a guy posting against the Twitterati (Digger et al) who has been 'suggested' to have been using other sock puppet accounts, and then 'outed' as being Rowe's father-in-law. How true it is, I don't know, but if it is, it's not a good look.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    twitter does seem to be a worse forum than facebook and instagram. Dont know Rowe personally but from what I can see it's just an innocent gesture.. i didnt even know about the kids prank version of the symbol, which shows how old i am !!

who cares what some keyboard warrior on the internet thinks, all Luke's real friends will know the truth about him
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    He isn't even making a gesture. He's just rubbing his thumb and finger together :roll:
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    The thing about Peak Stupidity is the nasty false flat at the top...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    sherer wrote:
    twitter does seem to be a worse forum than facebook and instagram. Dont know Rowe personally but from what I can see it's just an innocent gesture.. i didnt even know about the kids prank version of the symbol, which shows how old i am !!

me too, I was reading that article and thinking Ive absolutely no idea what they are talking about, dont people just do bunny ears anymore when goofing around with group photos
  • RichN95.
    A few more 'White Supremicists'

obama_1822024c.jpg

HUSSAIN%2BBOLT%2BVIRALNEWSALERT4.jpg

beyonce+666+hand+sign+2013+grammy+awards.jpg
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    awavey wrote:
    dont people just do bunny ears anymore when goofing around with group photos

No, ask Iljo Keisse
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    me too, I was reading that article and thinking Ive absolutely no idea what they are talking about, dont people just do bunny ears anymore when goofing around with group photos
    Bunny Ears were officially retired after Manu Tuilagi won all the Bunny Ears

?width=630&version=1086166
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    CarbonClem wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    dont people just do bunny ears anymore when goofing around with group photos

No, ask Iljo Keisse

tbf whatever Iljo was doing in that picture with the waitress, it wasnt bunny ears, unless he has an incredibly long arm...but this is already beginning to feel like it belongs in the bottom bracket
  • RichN95.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I think this has been part of his Twitter departure (flounce?) but there is also a sub-plot of a guy posting against the Twitterati (Digger et al) who has been 'suggested' to have been using other sock puppet accounts, and then 'outed' as being Rowe's father-in-law. How true it is, I don't know, but if it is, it's not a good look.
    Which just shows what these people are all about. They're just trolls interested in fighting people on the internet to make themselves feel big. Of course that person isn't connected to Rowe, they've made that up. It's what they do. They long to feel significant.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    you can't completely stop stupid trolls, but you can mitigate their impact to almost zero by simply ignoring them

this forum continuously bleats on about twitter trolls whilst simultaneously giving them the oxygen of attention. baffles me
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    MugenSi wrote:
    Twitter's what you want it to be. It's good for getting info quickly from reliable sources and filtering out that which seeks to distract or detract. You don't have to read people's comments nor write any of your own. With Facebook you can't avoid others' comments which is why I avoid using it.

I also still like using RSS feeds. Concise and to the point, what you need to know in a single line.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What a load of rubbish.

Hes the right age for the punch-your-mate thing. It's a sad day when you cant use stupid hand gestures as a thinly disguised pretext for childish violence. This is my early secondary school years through and through.

I had no idea about the white supremacist thing, I still get it come up sometimes on Facebook in a "who remembers this" type thing (normally one of those "growing up in the 90s" things).
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    And I believed Danny baker had no idea that Harry’s wife was mixed race or that posting a picture of a. Chimpanzee would be offensive.

Father Christmas is real and there are no drugs in cycling.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    And I believed Danny baker had no idea that Harry’s wife was mixed race or that posting a picture of a. Chimpanzee would be offensive.

Father Christmas is real and there are no drugs in cycling.
    You're being ridiculous, on purpose I assume.

That's not a racist symbol, not to me or anyone else who grew up in the 90s (inc Rowe). I assumed it was universal but apparently not.

So you think Rowe is a white supremacist?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    The thing about Peak Stupidity is the nasty false flat at the top...
    :D
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Crozza wrote:
    you can't completely stop stupid trolls, but you can mitigate their impact to almost zero by simply ignoring them

this forum continuously bleats on about twitter trolls whilst simultaneously giving them the oxygen of attention. baffles me[/quote

Exactly! It baffles me as well.
  • RichN95.
    More lunacy.

A transfusion scandal involving Bahrain and Slovenian riders, while Slovenian riders are 1 and 2 on the Giro GC and a Slovenian has just won in California.

This is one of the biggest loons* takes:

"Seeing this, and knowing Team Sky had two Slovenian soigneurs on the payrol (one of which Froome's personal carer, David Rozman, the other Marko Dzalo), it seems the old rumor that Brad Wiggins and Chris Froome were/are using AICAR is a fairly solid one."

*Said loon thinks almost all major races have been won with motors, but also thinks there is no evidence for climate change.

GroundedGracefulFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

"Seeing this, and knowing Team Sky had two Slovenian soigneurs on the payrol (one of which Froome's personal carer, David Rozman, the other Marko Dzalo), it seems the old rumor that Brad Wiggins and Chris Froome were/are using AICAR is a fairly solid one."

Am I safe in assuming the Slovenian connection has *never* been mentioned before and they're trying to fit information into their story?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    JOIN THE DOTS SHEEPLE
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    At the London 7s this morning, one of the Samoan players gave the same sign after scoring a try. Doubt he's a white supremacist.