Lands End to Bristol

forehead
forehead Posts: 180
Hi All,

Not been in here a while, but looking for some advice.

Our #2 daughter was born prematurely and was expertly looked after by the Neonatal team at St Michael's in Bristol for the first few months of her life. She;s home now and (despite Chicken Pox, aaarrrggghh!) continues to grow well. Me and a couple of family members have decided to support a fundraiser for the Cots for Tots charity here, by riding from Lands End to Bristol (covers the region served by NICU in Bristol).

I'm a fairly decent and competent rider with a few long distance day rides under my belt. I've not done a multi day ride before, and I'm looking for some training tips. Specifically juggling the training required along with full time work, a 3 year old and little new born at home.

Cheers,
Andy
Cube - Peloton
Cannondale - CAAD10

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Forehead wrote:
    Hi All,

Our #2 daughter was born prematurely and was expertly looked after by the Neonatal team at St Michael's in Bristol for the first few months of her life. She;s home now and (despite Chicken Pox, aaarrrggghh!) continues to grow well. Me and a couple of family members have decided to support a fundraiser for the Cots for Tots charity here, by riding from Lands End to Bristol (covers the region served by NICU in Bristol).

I'm a fairly decent and competent rider with a few long distance day rides under my belt. I've not done a multi day ride before, and I'm looking for some training tips. Specifically juggling the training required along with full time work, a 3 year old and little new born at home.

Cheers,
    Andy

If it were me, I’d do an ftp build type program doing two or three solid p. Pturbo sessions I. The week and try and squeeze one long 3hours plus on Saturday or Sunday and a hard shorter on the other day.

I found riding to or from family commitments meant I could make the most without detracting from support of my wife at an exhausting time.

You need to be creative. If you’re in reasonable shape try a 8 week ftp builder or similar off training peaks.

Then jfdi :)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Forehead wrote:
    Hi All,

Cheers,
    Andy
    Not sure I'd recommend anything excessive or out of the ordinary tbh. Main thing is to ride within yourself in the day and get to bed early each evening.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Did this last week and it was pretty fun. Weather was much better than it is now.

Turns out the South West is a bit lumpy.

27 of us rode in total and collectively have raised over £40,000 for The Grand Appeal and Cots for Tots, which is pretty ace.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Hats off fella, well done!
    Advocate of disc brakes.