Training / winter wheels

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Just ordered a new bike which came with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith wheelset rim, however being new to carbon wheels, do i need to get a cheap pair of Alu wheels for when plan to go out in crappy weather / road conditions?

If so then suggestions on what i could get?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    you'll get a million different answers, but imo no - they are wheels. ride them, hose them down afterwards to get gunk off.

or throw some Aksiums on if ypu're really worried

#carpediem
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • timboellis
    Thanks for that , its my thoughts also but not sure of the longevity of carbon wheels.

It saves a few quid too, i have a winter cycle dross bike for really crappy weather
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Campag khamsin or zondas pretty bomb proof
  • Matthewfalle
    timboellis wrote:
    Thanks for that , its my thoughts also but not sure of the longevity of carbon wheels.

It saves a few quid too, i have a winter cycle dross bike for really crappy weather

no worries.

they are fine so long as you don't mash them: the MFs use their carbon wheels all year round: after a grotty ride its a 30 second blast with a garden hose on the wheels and brakes to get any gunk off the rims and brake blicks, if really grimy than hot soapy water and sponge, good wash and if necessary just drop the wheels out.

no more than 3 minute job.

if you have nice stuff just use it. no need to put tat on a nice bike.

#feelhappy
    #thoughtswithOxo

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    If you have disc brakes, you can use them in the winter.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tricky one. That is (to me anyway) an expensive wheelset.

One argument would be to use and enjoy them all year round to extract the maximum value from your purchase. The Exalith brake track should help slow you down in the wet, and protect the carbon from premature wear.

The counter argument is if you do a lot of braking on filthy roads, even with the best carbon brake blocks, you'll wear the rims much faster. And if like me you ride a lot in the dark come winter, you'll inevitably crash through a pothole or two, which risks taking a chunk out of the rim. I'm guessing a replacement, if available, would be expensive.

Think if they were mine I'd choose the first option, ride them year round but keep them clean especially after any salty rides. I'm always surprised by how long my wheels last.
  • timboellis
    Well i have my winter cannondale CAADX for really crappy nights/roads (I live up by John O Goats so a lot of crappy single track roads)

Also on the back of this I checked my insurance and would be covered for any damage too.
  • keef66
    Sounds like you're good to go then!
  • Matthewfalle
    Zest28 wrote:
    If you have disc brakes, you can use them in the winter.

if you have any wheels you can use them all year round. they are wheels.

#wheelsrolling
    #thinkofOxo
    #discountcode9

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'd disagree with MF on this and agree fully with Keef.
    I use my expensive carbon rim brakes for certain rides. I don't mind using them in the wet, but not mountainous wet rides in winter. Yes its possible to do it, but no I'd rather not. (This is not a rim/disc brake/carbon braking performance post - I'm a big fan of rim brakes and have no issues with using them in the winter)
    If my route is very hilly with descents where I'm going to have to be draggy on the brakes, I'd rather not take out my expensive wheels. I'm not talking about performance differences, merely the fact that the brakes and rim will get covered in cack and grit, I'd much rather ruin a cheap set of wheels for my winter rides. (My winter rides are in Snowdonia, hilly with some 60mph descents into roundabouts / switch backs, some rubbish roads, wet very changeable up high)
    I do agree with the principle though, that bikes and kit are to be used. My good gear comes out earlier in Spring as possible and away as late in Autumn as possible.#
    My good carbon wheels are also 65mm deep, not great at speed when coming down a mountain with a 30mph cross wind. I much prefer using an alloy braking surface and a 30mm rim, even if they don't look anywhere near as nice.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    timboellis wrote:
    Just ordered a new bike which came with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith wheelset rim, however being new to carbon wheels, do i need to get a cheap pair of Alu wheels for when plan to go out in crappy weather / road conditions?

They're not actually full carbon wheels. They have an aluminium brake track that is coated to look black like the carbon. They will work fine in wet or winter conditions just like the full carbon version.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Campag khamsin or zondas pretty bomb proof
    If you are going down that road, why not Sciroccos?
    #disposable
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    FFS. The blind leading the blind once again.

These are frickin aluminium Exalith rims with a carbon faring glued on. So there's not going to be any carbon getting worn out. The Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith is just a blinged up version of the old classic Cosmics with an Exalith treatment to the alu brake track.

OP - Exalith is the best aluminium stopping surface you can get (and infinitely better than the majority of low to mid range carbon surfaces). If your new bike also has direct mount brakes you'll have superb stopping power in all conditions.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460

These are frickin aluminium Exalith rims with a carbon faring glued on. So there's not going to be any carbon getting worn out. The Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith is just a blinged up version of the old classic Cosmics with an Exalith treatment to the alu brake track.

OP - Exalith is the best aluminium stopping surface you can get (and infinitely better than the majority of low to mid range carbon surfaces). If your new bike also has direct mount brakes you'll have superb stopping power in all conditions.

Its not all about the stopping power or rim wear though, it's also about salt damage to the bearings, rusting of spoke nipples and general degradation of a decent set of wheels if using through the winter.
  • Matthewfalle
    OnTheRopes wrote:

Its not all about the stopping power or rim wear though, it's also about salt damage to the bearings, rusting of spoke nipples and general degradation of a decent set of wheels if using through the winter.

bollorcks.

its a set of wheels - use them. yes they are decent but they aren't a set of Obermayers: its a pair of Mavics.

use them.
    hose them.
    use them.

747EURO to buy a new pair so OP is on a winner to use them all the time.

otherwise whats the point in having them? "for good", like your funeral suit?

utter bollorcks

#usethewheels
    #thinkofOxo
    #discountcode51

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ignoring the additional wear & tear that arguably occurs in inclement weather ...

there's another reason for having training/winter wheels - you use them in the winter, when you're just getting in easy miles/easy rides - then, when the sun comes out, put the good wheels on - suddenly feels so much better & faster - instant training benefits! :)
  • keef66
    philthy3 wrote:
    timboellis wrote:

They're not actually full carbon wheels. They have an aluminium brake track that is coated to look black like the carbon. They will work fine in wet or winter conditions just like the full carbon version.

Oops! Must be more careful when googling things I know bugger-all about
  • Matthewfalle
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ignoring the additional wear & tear that arguably occurs in inclement weather ...

there's another reason for having training/winter wheels - you use them in the winter, when you're just getting in easy miles/easy rides - then, when the sun comes out, put the good wheels on - suddenly feels so much better & faster - instant training benefits! :)

nah - use nice stuff all year round as theres no point having obermayers in the garage and you in the graveyard.

so long as ypu look after it it will be fine. its a bicycle not the space shuttle.

you worked for the money to buy them so enjoy them. you wouldn't arrange a date with Nina and go out with Janet Street Porter would you? So why ride rubbish?

#nina
    #labcoat

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

nah - use nice stuff all year round as theres no point having obermayers in the garage and you in the graveyard.
    You wouldn't ride your best road bike on a cyclocross race - so why take it out in the grotty weather? If that principle works - then you can apply that to components too. If that doesn't work, then yer - ride what you want when you want.
    so long as ypu look after it it will be fine. its a bicycle not the space shuttle.
    Having heard the GRIND of the grit against the rims on a winters commute ... I'm happy with my choice to use the more robust bike/wheels for general use, then take the best bike out when the weather suits.
    you worked for the money to buy them so enjoy them. you wouldn't arrange a date with Nina and go out with Janet Street Porter would you? So why ride rubbish?

#nina
    #labcoat
    If you owned a #inserttypeofparticularlynicebutexpensivecarhere# - would you want to take it to the supermarket to do the shopping? Or would you have a cheap runaround that didn't matter so much when some d#ck doors it...
  • Matthewfalle
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You wouldn't ride your best road bike on a cyclocross race - so why take it out in the grotty weather? If that principle works - then you can apply that to components too. If that doesn't work, then yer - ride what you want when you want.
    Having heard the GRIND of the grit against the rims on a winters commute ... I'm happy with my choice to use the more robust bike/wheels for general use, then take the best bike out when the weather suits.

#nina
    #labcoat
    If you owned a #inserttypeofparticularlynicebutexpensivecarhere# - would you want to take it to the supermarket to do the shopping? Or would you have a cheap runaround that didn't matter so much when some d#ck doors it...

1. of course you wouldn't but yes, I do use N1 in the grotty weather and the new S3 is used for everything. road bike to cyclicross race is a ridiculius example. road bike to canal pth/gravel track is closer and yes, bikes with tubs and deep rims do get ridden on these.

2. Good for you. Personally lifeis too short to ride rubbish.

3. Of course ypu do. its a car. its there to be used. the AMG gets taken to Edwyn's, filled with stuff to go to the dump, school run, in the snow/rain/whatever. Its just a car.

It gets biffed it gets repaired. It gets smashed up, buy another. its just a car/bicycle/whatever.

Bit weird to keep all this stuff to be used three times a year if you ask us.

#weird
    #useit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Depends if you are bothered about keeping the black Exalith coating or not. A few weeks of use over winter and the coating will be more or less gone. Doesn't effect the functionality of the wheels but they won't look as bling.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I been mulling over this for the Autumn and winter commute. My bike has Knight TLA carbon wheels and I don’t want to mess them up with London winter road junk.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    The Exalith surface is bl00dy brilliant imho, both my Scotts wear them.

The only minor complication with buying winter wheels, is that the Exaliths require specific brake pads, so you would also need to remember to change the four pads over twice a year - may not bother you, but for some people it would.
    Unless you could get a second hand pair of ksyrium exaliths for the winter, which could also double as nice light climbing wheels. I did see a pretty much immaculate pair for sale on here a while back for £400, was sorely tempted but resisted - these were ones that were £1200 new.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • OnTheRopes
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

#nina
    #labcoat

i wouldn't bother posting any logic, the opinionated Mathewfalle will just shout you down, of course he's right, nobody ever had a winter bike or winter wheels :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

its a pair of very nice but still just £600 wheels. just ride the bloody things and look after them and they will be fine.

next thing you will be saying that ultegra is too good to ride in the winter..........

#wheels
    #rotation

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    #movetoabetterclimateproblemsolved.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Everyone's allowed to have their opinions, no right or wrong, just individual preference.
    I've stated mine, I'm not a clubbie, but I do ride in places with a very harsh winter. £600 wheels for some isn't a great deal of money, but I know to others that is a once in a lifetime spend.
    My preference is to ride shallow rims during the winter and even down to having cheaper (slower) more puncture resistant tyres. Maybe if I was riding in the South East lanes I might think differently. But in North Wales, at 1500 feet on fast twisty descent, I'd rather not be on deep rims.
    Being honest, I don't recall seeing anyone else in the last 10 years riding on deep carbon rims in the winter around here. After living near Elgin for a few years, during those winters, I also wouldn't want to be riding in the highlands on my best deep carbon wheels during the winter. I don't really look out to see what people are riding, but I'd say that deep carbon wheels in the middle of winter would stick out around here.
    Each to their own though.
    But then again, I also have a nice car that doesn't get used very often. I tend to take out my beloved Citreon Berlingo rather than that one. When I go mountain biking I also take of my nice watch and put on my beater. Maybe its just me. (I'm a really bad driver who can't park to save their life - I'd rather not have someone door my car because I parked to close! - Plus its a bit of a faff to get it out of the garage, so for popping down to the shops I'd rather hop on my bike)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    thing is there are some bargain wheels out there that really don't break the bank. They last a year and a bit at around 8000 miles a year... without too much maintenance..
  • slowbike
    just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

its a pair of very nice but still just £600 wheels. just ride the bloody things and look after them and they will be fine.

next thing you will be saying that ultegra is too good to ride in the winter..........

#wheels
    #rotation

Who said the winter bike/wheels have to be rubbish? They're not rubbish, they're just different to the summer wheels - like changing your tyres on the car over to winter tyres for better grip in the cold & wet ..

Appropriate tool for the job ...

#matthewfalleisalwayswrong :p
  • OnTheRopes

#wheels
    #rotation

Doesn't mean winter bikes have to be rubbish or the wheels either but why ruin your best, and British winter will take it's toll on wheels and components.
    Who said anything about a club, only you and your stupid vendetta against 'clubbies'
    - Ridiculous comment, so you really would advise using a £4k set of wheels through a British winter, you are either rich or daft.