Shorts for longer rides

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi

I am looking to purchase some new shorts. I am doing a few more miles and I am in the market to replace my current pair ( DHB aeron waist shorts). I have tended to use waist shorts rather than bib but would consider bib if the replies indicated I would be better in them from a comfort view. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Bibs are far more comfortable in my experience. The longer the ride, the more you're likely to start getting irritation or chafing from the waist band.

What's the budget for new shorts?
  • vince133
    Quite flexible on budget although value is a factor. Doing regular 50 to 60 miles. Did 100 last week and I think my pad is a bit worn on my current pair. Will be doing 200 next month in a day so looking to be comfortable.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Bibs definitely
    Buy the best you can afford
    Good leg grips to stop them riding up, though these work better with shaved legs or over leg warmers.
    Obviously the quality of the pad is important for long rides but we are all different so I would suggest you try them out plenty before the big ride.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just get the DHB Aeron bibs. Love mine.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've got the DHB Aeron Bibs, pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are. I got mine in a sale, can't remember the price but wasn't expecting much but I'm impressed.
    I've also got the Rapha Pro Team, not worth the £100 price difference, but still very good. Also got the Rapha Core, probably my favourite ones for long rides in the saddle.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rapha classic bibs are popular and free return if you don't like them , I think you get a month to test them.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    VFM, and top quality pads, I would suggest:

LA Passione (especially in the sale, though returns can be expensive, unless you pay through paypal and can claim back return postage if you activate the feature beforehand)
    Galibier
    Rapha pro team or lightweight
    Castelli - The Progetto X2 pad is superb imho
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Daniel B - is there any difference in pad with Rapha Pro Team and Core?
    I can’t tell the difference myself. The pro team look nicer, I’ve two pairs, the lightweight with the white band on the leg and standard pro team with the lettering.
    I guess for £100 difference there must be more than just aesthetic differences?
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I use mainly 2 bib shorts, sportful super total comfort that i bought in discount for 140 euros, and endura FS 260pro, that ive bought for 80 euros. The 1st one is by far the best shorts that i ever owned, but not 60 euros better than the Endura. Before that i was using Castelli, very nice pad, but not durable at all.
  • daniel_b
    w00dster wrote:
    Daniel B - is there any difference in pad with Rapha Pro Team and Core?
    I can’t tell the difference myself. The pro team look nicer, I’ve two pairs, the lightweight with the white band on the leg and standard pro team with the lettering.
    I guess for £100 difference there must be more than just aesthetic differences?

Good question, I have a pair of each, and tend to use the core ones for shorter rides, although the LP's tend to take precedence as they are so comfy - to me the PT II pad seems a bit more dense\firm than the core ones, but not actually read the spiel or examined them together for a direct visual\feel comparison.

IIRC my core's ended up costing me about £60, as they had a bundle deal on a while back, and I flogged the jersey for decent money, as a bnwt sale, as I had already read about the pockets being really high up, plus I am rather fussy about my jerseys :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I'm a big fan of Endura's. They seem to last well and are the most comfortable for my 'wide' sit bone.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,169
    Vince133 wrote:
    Will be doing 200 next month in a day so looking to be comfortable.

There is no comfort on a 200 miler. You can make thing less bad, but forget about the idea that you could do it with no pain or discomfort.

The Aeron Lab pad (the pricier range) is pretty good... I have done 200 miles on those in bearable discomfort
    left the forum March 2023
  • ttf
    ttf Posts: 10
    I used to be a die-hard Rapha Pro Team advocate but recently stumped up the cash for some of the CHPT3 Origin 1.11 shorts (these puppies: https://chpt3.com/collections/shorts-le ... 9292031044)... Truly different ball game (no pun intended) in terms of long-distance comfort. They use Castelli's Progetto 2 chamois pad and it's like night and day from the Rapha stuff, which is saying something as I thought the same when first wearing Rapha. They're expensive, yes, but quality is incredible and I think they do a 30-day money back guarantee if you're not mad about them.

If the budget doesn't stretch, worth checking out their new Girona bibs (about £100) - I bought some recently for my commutes and shorter rides and comfort is almost on par with the Origin stuff but for much less £££.
  • vince133
    Thanks for your replies. I appreciate 200 will leave a degree of discomfort. Did it a couple of years ago using DHB Aeron waist shorts. Need to replace so looking at options and maybe an upgrade. Will review all of the recommendations thanks again.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    ttf wrote:
    I used to be a die-hard Rapha Pro Team advocate but recently stumped up the cash for some of the CHPT3 Origin 1.11 shorts (these puppies: https://chpt3.com/collections/shorts-le ... 9292031044)... Truly different ball game (no pun intended) in terms of long-distance comfort. They use Castelli's Progetto 2 chamois pad and it's like night and day from the Rapha stuff, which is saying something as I thought the same when first wearing Rapha. They're expensive, yes, but quality is incredible and I think they do a 30-day money back guarantee if you're not mad about them.

If the budget doesn't stretch, worth checking out their new Girona bibs (about £100) - I bought some recently for my commutes and shorter rides and comfort is almost on par with the Origin stuff but for much less £££.

Just bought a pair of the 1.11 bibs. Just tried them on and they do feel like top quality. A little long in the leg for me, but I am short. Not a problem though and looking forward to trying them out. Got them for £154 in sale which is still by some distance the most I’ve paid for bibs. High hopes and expectations.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Bibs are like saddles to a large degree. It’s great getting recommendations. It’ll give you an idea of build quality, the pad, and feel etc. But you’ll really need to trial and error a few pairs to find what’s right for you as it’s so subjective.

For what it’s worth I much preferred the original pro team bibs to the latest design. I’ve recently been using a pair of PNS bibs that I really like and will buy more of in the future. (even if the names a little unfortunate...) The pad is very plush. Never got on with Castelli pad. Assos also seem a good fit for me.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • daniel_b
    RoyPSB wrote:
    ttf wrote:

Just bought a pair of the 1.11 bibs. Just tried them on and they do feel like top quality. A little long in the leg for me, but I am short. Not a problem though and looking forward to trying them out. Got them for £154 in sale which is still by some distance the most I’ve paid for bibs. High hopes and expectations.

Not considered this brand at all before - just had a look on their site (As I am a big fan of the X2 pad) and found the 1.16 Defiant shorts reduced from £120 to £60, so decided to try a pair.
    I think about £130 would be the absolute top whack I would pay for a pair of shorts, so at £60 I was very happy :-)
    Will report back.

If they are deemed good enough, they may unseat my pro team II shorts for ride london.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Sure good shorts help.

But I would have thought comfort comes from the saddle
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    RoyPSB wrote:
    ttf wrote:

I’ve a cupboard rammed with Rapha, all bought in the sale or archive store so I don’t mind spending money, but £154 for bibs AND in the sale? Wow, are they that good?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,169
    My 2 year old DHB Aeron are peeling off elastic... bit disappointing, as they haven't seen a lot of use.
    I have ordered a pair of Lusso PRO gel things, hopefully they'll be more durable
    left the forum March 2023
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    My favourite are Red White Bibs
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    ChippyK wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    ttf wrote:

I’ve a cupboard rammed with Rapha, all bought in the sale or archive store so I don’t mind spending money, but £154 for bibs AND in the sale? Wow, are they that good?

I’ll find out at the weekend!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Another vote for La Passione. They feel top quality, and the best thing I can say about them is that I don’t give them any thought at all whilst out riding. I’ve done a few 100+ mile rides with no issues, I’ve got a pair of DHB Aeron Pro too but LP are on another level (hence why I now have 3 pairs).