Giro 2019, Stage 10: Ravenna - Modena 147 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 10: Ravenna - Modena 147 km

Tuesday, May 21st

START TIME: 13.45 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Here they are. Finally, the first of two stages we have all been waiting for....................just to get them over and done with.
In effect, a 300km billiard table.
At 145 kilometres, the 10th stage of the Giro d'Italia travels from Ravenna to Modena. The route is pan-flat, so this is a perfect opportunity for fast finishers.
Ravenna has not been included in recent years. In fact, in 2005 and 2011 the town in the northeastern part of Italy served as a finish. On both occasions the race came down to a sprint – in 2005, Alessandro Petacchi powered to the win, and in 2011 it was Mark Cavendish who outgunned the bunch.

G19_T10_Modena_plan_jpg-2.jpg

This time the Giro starts in Ravenna, although the outcome is likely to be the same. Following 147 kilometres on the flat the riders arrive in Modena. The good news that will thrill the riders still further is that street furniture will be found in all the urban areas, along with roundabouts, traffic dividers, speed bumps and the likes, along the entire route.

G19_T10_Modena_alt_jpg-2.jpg

The historic town in the Po Valley is filled with beautiful architecture, like the Modena Cathedral, the Ducal Palace and the enchanting Piazza Grande, but it is first and foremost Enzo Ferrari territory. The founding father of the Ferrari automobile marque was born in Modena and rarely left the town and nearby Marenello.

180178-car-ferrari-sp38-1.jpg?itok=U5KBXqcV

Modena hasn’t seen a Giro d’Italia finish in ages, although the town hosted a number of departures in the last seven years. In 2012, the riders set off to Fano (Mark Cavendish win), in 2014 to Salsomaggiore Terme (Nacer Bouhanni), and in 2016 to Asolo (Diego Ulissi).
Final kilometres The final kilometres are played out on broad and mostly straight roads. Over the last 5 km, the only bend is 2,200 m from the finish. Porphyry stone pavers cover a 450 m stretch, from 1,500 m to the finish almost to the red flag. The home straight is 1,500m long, on 8 m wide asphalt road.

G19_T10_Modena_ARR_jpg.jpg

G19_T10_Modena_ukm_jpg.jpg

Favourites 10th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Elia Viviani, Pascal Ackermann
** Arnaud Démare, Matteo Moschetti, Caleb Ewan
* Davide Cimolai, Giacomo Nizzolo, Ryan Gibbons

RAVENNA

Ravenna is located in the north-east of the Italian peninsula, just a few kilometres from the Adriatic Sea. Its province covers the southern part of Romagna and extends from the sea to the gently rolling foothills of the Apennines. Ravenna, the city of mosaics, has been recognised as a world heritage by UNESCO: eight historic buildings are on the World Heritage List.
he spirit of this city, admired for the splendour of its artistic heritage, may be fully appreciated only when the tie with the surrounding waters and territory that build its identity is understood. The relationship between Ravenna and the sea was once stronger than today. During Roman times and the Middle ages, part of its city centre was run by streams of water and rivers that defined the different districts as if they were little floating islands. Then, the coastline was nearer, where now the railwaystation is; all around, a network of valleys and swamplands made the city impregnable to any enemy. Another important aspect that made transfer the capital of the Western Roman Empire from Milan to Ravenna, where it remained for three centuries, under the Gothic Kingdom of Theoderic and the Byzantine Empire of Justinian for three centuries. Ravenna’s identity resides also in the nature: the Pine Forest of Classe and the Pine Forest of San Vitale tell about the century-old history and traditions of this land, where some traces of the old lagunas and wet areas can still be seen in the surrounding landscape. This deep connection marks and can be perceived also in the city centre, showcase of outstanding treasures. Eight of its monuments have been inscribed by UNESCO in the World Heritage List and anyone who visits them carries an unvaluable memory of the wonder of its mosaics and decorations.

ravenna-evid.jpg

GASTRONOMY

Beyond the suggestive cultural and natural heritage, Ravenna is also a city that boasts an old food tradition. The art of good food is deeply rooted in the farm knowledge of Romagna territory. The traditional menus include tasty handmade first courses such as tagliatelle, lasagna, strozzapretti, passatelli made with parmesan cheese and eggs, cappelletti with a cheese-filling, along with fish second courses or grilled mutton.

Cappelletti-di-cinta-senese-burro-nocciola-tartufo-bianco.jpg

Everything is accompanied by fine wines coming from the surrounding hills. Not to forget piadina – the “bread of Romagna”, filled with Squacquerone, a local buttery soft cheese or with savoury cold cuts.

MODENA

Modena is a shrine of treasures to be discovered without haste, surprising travelers with a magical interweaving of art, gastronomy, music and motors. Located between the Secchia and Panaro rivers, in the heart of Emilia-Romagna, the city boasts a Unesco World Heritage Site (Duomo, Piazza Grande and Torre Ghirlandina) and it’s recognized as an inspiring land, attracting talent and passion, giving birth to celebrities admired all over the world such as Enzo Ferrari and Luciano Pavarotti. Modena is a land of engines with big brands such as Ferrari, Maserati and Pagani and it has also long been known for its cuisine, a reputation earned for authenticity, respect for tradition, and attention to the conservation of genuine flavor and its the Italian province richer in products with PDO and PGI denomination of origin.
The Cathedral, declared, with the Ghirlandina Tower and Piazza Grande, World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, is a masterpiece of Italian Romanesque. The seventeenth-century Palazzo Ducale which housed the Estense court, which moved from Modena from Ferrara in 1598 and that it’s now home to the Italian Military Academy. The Estense Gallery, one of the most important Italian collections of painting and sculpture, and the Estense Library, both custodians of works of arts of absolute value. The Galleria Civica, the Fondazione Fotografia and the Museo della Figurina with contemporary art and visual culture exhibitions throughout the year. For Bel Canto fans, the Teatro Comunale di Modena and the Casa Museo Luciano Pavarotti will be unmissable. Modena, the birthplace of Enzo Ferrari, is a Motor land. Here passion for powerful motors has a long tradition and legendary fast cars are an integral part of local culture. In addition to Museo Enzo Ferrari in Modena and to Museo Ferrari in Maranello, within a radius of a few kilometers, the visitor finds a wide range of museums and private collections dedicated to autos, motorcycles, and the world of racing: the Maserati showroom and factory, the Pagani factory and museum, the Umberto Panini classic cars collection, the Stanguellini Museum, the Righini collection and Autodromo di Modena racetrack.

GASTRONOMY

In Modena you’ll will find a rich selection of fine food experiences offered by a network of restaurants, farms and artisans of taste that, with the preservation and enhancement of products and flavors, have been awarded in every field, such as the Osteria Francescana praised as one of the best restaurants in the world. Throughout the region you can visit farms producing Formaggio Parmigiano – Reggiano PDO,
6a3568ec75354456ab1e6b6fc1540ba0_L.jpg
Lambrusco di Modena PDO and and many Sangiovese varietal wines,
46460738_287048178595673_5516178333936648192_n.jpg
Plus, of course, traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PDO and Balsamic Vinegar of Modena IGP, Prosciutto di Modena PDO and other local products.
apertura-ricetta_1.jpg?itok=0VzHKSxc
You can not leave Modena without having tasted Zampone and Cotechino Modena Igp, tortellini, gnocco fritto and the famous tigelle or crescentine. The Albinelli Covered Market, in Art Nouveau style, considered among the most beautiful in Italy, is certainly worth a visit.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I ate a piece of pork cooked in balsamic vinegar in Modena.

Let's just say it was a once in a lifetime experience.

The deep-fried ravioli pasta to wrap your proscuttio di parma around before adding some treacly 25yr aged balsamic was rather lovely however.

If you want to know what a romanesque church/cathedral typically looks like, Modena's is fairly typical too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    G19_T10_Modena_ukm_jpg.jpg

The climb of the day 5km from the finish should sort them out
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Meanwhile, I believe this is where they're supposed to be riding to on Friday: https://ceresolereale.panomax.com/
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So how about a bit of wind to spice things up around those two bends in the final third of the stage?
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The highest point along the course appears to be 30m higher than the start... Surely it's an achievement to find a 145km route that flat! Average gradient 0.021%....
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile, I believe this is where they're supposed to be riding to on Friday: https://ceresolereale.panomax.com/

Should be OK, unlike the Gavia.

In Ceresole Reale very cloudy or overcast skies throughout the day, with light rains from the afternoon, 15mm of rain are expected. During the day the maximum temperature recorded will be 13 ° C, the minimum of 5 ° C, the thermal zero will settle at 3100m. The winds will be absent or weak in the morning and will come from the North, in the afternoon weak and will come from the Southeast. No weather alert present.

950 metres shy of that.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ... the Po Valley is first and foremost Ferrari territory ....
    About 27 km after leaving Ravenna, they ride through Sant'agata Sul Santerno, which is where the classy Somec bikes are made – I had one, made to measure and custom-assembled, for a few years either side of the millenium (and loved it).
    The symbols on their bikes are a tulip flower and the exact same 'horse rampant' as on Ferrari cars, except mirrored.
  • Any ideas on the weather? Any chance of crosswinds or anything else remotely interesting?
  • rick_chasey
    Any ideas on the weather? Any chance of crosswinds or anything else remotely interesting?

No. This is a highlights jobbie. They’ll smack through it in 3 & half hours.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Any ideas on the weather? Any chance of crosswinds or anything else remotely interesting?

10mph winds, sunny spells and 24 degrees. If ever there was a stage a decent club rider could hang in all day this would apear to be it!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    "We need a gimmick for this year's route!"
    "Mauro, we talked about this..."
    "This is the GIro!"
    "Mauro..."
    "Higher! Steeper!"
    "Mauro, please, no..."
    "What about-"
    "Mauro..."
    "FLATTER!"
    "Please no..."
  • blazing_saddles
    Ewan and Viviani are set to quit the race after tomorrow's stage. I doubt that they will be the only two.
  • Pross wrote:

10mph winds, sunny spells and 24 degrees. If ever there was a stage a decent club rider could hang in all day this would apear to be it!
    Yeah. Right until about 5km out :mrgreen:
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ...and the first xxkm of the stage as the break of the day tries to form!
    Half man, Half bike
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Going to be a shock to the system hitting those mountains
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:

I rode solo 300km up the po valley on a mountain bike with panniers (slick tyres) in under 10 hours once
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Alrite show off.
  • mididoctors
    Alrite show off.
    less hilly than a velodrome.literally
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2019
    It's hard to gauge .. especially as I am knocking on 60
    But if the start wasn't too mad a fight to get in a break I may just be able to hang on at least till it got consistently north of 50kph towards the end..... Hmmmmmm maybe not . Not sure I could do it for 3 hours and half hours. I would need to train specifically for the task . I suppose a lot depends on how they ride it.,,........ OTOH I may just be utterly delusional. You would have to be concentrated on all the corners making sure you are far up front enough not to get detached if they go through fast.
  • rick_chasey
    One proper acceleration and any of us would be dropped
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2019

Certainly couldn't handle them repeatedly in close succession which is why it depends on a soft break going. What would do us would be all the repeated acceleration efforts dealing with the turns and road furniture towards the end
  • mididoctors
    dB ignore
  • One proper acceleration and any of us would be dropped

Yep - the roll out to the flag drop would be bl**dy quick for us
  • mididoctors
    Well hopefully the stage will more interesting than this controversy.
  • rick_chasey

Certainly couldn't handle them repeatedly in close succession which is why it depends on a soft break going. What would do us would be all the repeated acceleration efforts dealing with the turns and road furniture towards the end

Yeah not just that but a massive acceleration followed by holding 55kph thereafter.
  • mididoctors

Yeah not just that but a massive acceleration followed by holding 55kph thereafter.
    I still reckon holding on for the bulk of THIS stage is a possibility if the start is soft enough
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

I still reckon holding on for the bulk of THIS stage is a possibility if the start is soft enough

If I did a Chris Froome and had a gel every 10 mins I think I could hold on for an hour or so. However, afterwards I'd be a broken shell of a man with ruined teeth.
  • Does anyone know what wattage you’d need to be pushing out if you were sat in the middle of the bunch holding 55kph?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1579985593/analysis

Ben O'Connor from last year's stage 13. Pretty much flat for 120km, average speed 44kmh, average power 152W. Plenty of short accelerations but nothing terrible.

Then the bursts start getting more often and a lot more intense.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Some chat about GC riders detraining during this period, and the Cycling Podcast mentioned doing a training ride or turbo session post stage to get some efforts in to keep form. If this is a thing, is there any reason why a GC man couldn't go to the front mid stage and do some work? Maybe with gentlemens agreements between interested parties?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner