Tubeless with a tube

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hello.
I've been riding with Schwalbe pro one tyres for a while. When I first got them I had a nightmare getting them seated. However once done I enjoyed the ride. Recently I've had a few punctures and had to unseat them to get them fixed properly. The nightmare resumed when trying to reseat them. I purchaced a Milkit booster. The video demos made it look a breeze. Not so. Next to useless in my hands. I couldn't even inflate an already seated tyre with it. I am returning it and have given up on tubeless for the moment. It's just too much frustration.
What I want to know is. Although I know I can run my very expensive tubeless tyres with a tube. How does the puncture protection compare to a non tubeless Schwalbe One tyre.
I'm not asking for a comparison with a tubeless tyre. That's not a fair comparison. But with the non tubeless version of the Schwalbe tyre.
Anyone know? Anyone ridden for extended periods with tube in pro one's .
They cost a lot of money so not prepared to just not use them.
Cheers

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I can't answer your question but in relation to tubeless tyres the advice seems to be fit them and only remove to replace when worn out. Punctures can be repaired with the tyre still mounted by using plugs and sealant can be replenished through the valve. FWIW I found I could reseat a worn tubeless tyres by inflating it with a tube inside to get both beads on the rim and then carefully removing one bead and taking the tube out whilst leaving the other bead in position. Then I used a co2 cartridge to pop the other bead back on the rim, purged the co2, added sealant and reinflated with a track pump. It's a massive ball ache but actually only takes a few minutes and you'll never have to do it again now you know not to remove the tyres.
  • fuzzdog
    Yep. I've tried various things too, and got through so many Co2 s that I thought I would bite the bullet and get the booster thing. Very dissapointed. I have managed to seat them several times in the past but I am just fed up with the hassle. After no punctures for a while I got 3 in a short space of time that wouldn't seal. I did the repairs without removing the tyres but one wouldn't seal so thought I'd tackle it from inside. I did reseat it with several co2s but then noticed a large cut so ordered the booster and a new tyre. I practiced with the old tyre first with no luck. It's just more trouble than it's worth I think.
    They were great while they lasted.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    tubeless is a massive ball ache but there are people who believe in them with the fervour of religion.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I run my pro ones with tubes, similar reasons. not given me any problems
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fuzzdog wrote:
    Although I know I can run my very expensive tubeless tyres with a tube. How does the puncture protection compare to a non tubeless Schwalbe One tyre.
    I'm not asking for a comparison with a tubeless tyre. That's not a fair comparison. But with the non tubeless version of the Schwalbe tyre.

If I've understood your question - I've been using Schwalbe One (non-tubeless) 25s with latex tubes for well over a year on my best bike - not had a single puncture in that time. The tyres are now getting pretty worn and I would normally have changed them by now (or the rear at least), but I like them, so I'm going to keep using them until I can see the canvas..
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Anyone else noted how quick the seem to wear? My rears pretty flatted off after nearly 5K
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Step83 wrote:
    Anyone else noted how quick the seem to wear? My rears pretty flatted off after nearly 5K

Agreed, the rear is fairly squared off on mine, but I guess that's the compromise of running 'race-level' rubber for everyday use..
  • fuzzdog
    Thanks Step83. But the question is really does the tubeless version have the same puncture protection as the non tubeless version when both are run with a tube. I note that the non tubeless tyre is actually a schwalbe one as opposed to a pro one .
    Anyway it sounds like they are okay with tubes from what you've experienced.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    If you are getting a lot of punctures it's probably that the tire hasn't got enough puncture protection for your riding conditions. There shouldn't be a difference in how many punctures you get on the same tire tubeless vs tubed since they use the same materials.