Securing bike seat, saddle, wheels, fork&stem

mrblue
mrblue Posts: 11
edited May 2019 in Commuting general
Hello
I have just bought my first road bike and am wondering which can be an efficient solution to secure bike seat, saddle, wheels, fork&stem, on top of the bike of course. For the bike i have bought a kryptonite U Lock very heavy, and just because is so heavy i was wondering if there maybe confortable solutions for the other part other than another heavy chain.
I have spotted this brand that seems quite efficient https://hexlox.com/ but am very open to suggestions
Thank you very much

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Where are you thinking of leaving it?

Best form of security is to have a bike that nobody wants - or that nobody can see/get to.

I go for the latter - my bike is stored at work, in my office, next to my desk. But then I'm lucky in that regard - I probably wouldn't ride to work if I couldn't store my bike inside and securely.

I do ride a different bike on the school run - I have to leave it on a cyclepath for 20 minutes or so - it's a quiet path so I just use a cheapish combo cable lock to go through the wooden post, through my frame, backwheel and through my sons front wheel (on the tagalong) - it could be removed with bolt croppers in an instance, but it's a quiet path in the country and we don't get scrotes around at that time of the morning ;)
  • mrblue
    I wish to be able to leave it at least 2 hours outside if i go out in the evening or go to a friend. The point is not the bike itself but how to conveniently secure all the other parts. Lets see this bolts solutions
  • slowbike
    Thing is - it's going to depend on where you're leaving it - I've left a bike outside for 2+ hours on nothing but a cafe lock - come to think about it, I've left it for the same time with nothing but a friends cafe lock draped over the frame looking like it's locked, but it's not... but that's in the middle of nowhere.

The easy answer is to ensure you have a gold rated lock & cable - put the lock/cable through as many parts as possible and secure around something immovable. This'll stop the casual thief from taking it. I've never worried about saddle/bars/mudguards - but do tend to remove bits like lights that are easily removed.
  • mrblue
    I have always found a paradox that is safer an area with nobody around than a crowded one. I would have thought that in central london with thousands of people they would feel a bit embarassed in using heavy tools to cut chains etc...
  • slowbike
    If you're talking central london then I wouldn't be able to advise much - although I gather carrying around bolt croppers big enough is simple and nobody takes much notice of anyone fiddling with a bike - if they want your bike or parts thereof, they'll be taken - so in that respect, I'd have a pub bike that doesn't matter (beyond the inconvenience of getting home)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How nice is the bike ? If it stands out compared to the other bikes there then you have a problem.

I've never locked my bike up at a cafe stop but I choose nice out of the way places to stop.

In town I'd use my Brompton or a hack bike.
  • mrblue
    cougie wrote:
    How nice is the bike ? If it stands out compared to the other bikes there then you have a problem.

I've never locked my bike up at a cafe stop but I choose nice out of the way places to stop.

In town I'd use my Brompton or a hack bike.

is a second hand high end road bike i must admit. I bought a huge U lock for that though. For the rest i am checking those bolt lockers, in the next days i will tell you about it