Do YOU have an XD Driver on Hope Hubs?

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just purchased a SRAM XD driver for my Hope Pro 4 hubs, and after installing I've run into an issue trying to mount the cassette.

My hub is 135 x 10mm thru axle, and has the necessary end caps. The issue I was having at first was that the drive side end cap/spacer was preventing the cassette from fully seating on the splines at the base of the freehub body. I then tried removing the end cap to prove that was the issue, and as expected, the cassette mounted correctly.

After a bit of research, I came across a note from Hope confirming my findings that you should remove the end cap before installing the cassette (https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... -MARGE.pdf).

That's great and all, but when the cassette is mounted, the end cap won't fit back through the cassette to fix to the axle. The hole in the middle of the 10t sprocket is smaller than the diameter of the end cap.

Has anyone else run into this issue, or know how to work around it? I'll try and call Hope tomorrow if there's no joy here but I was hoping to get it sorted today! Thanks :)
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    What cassette you got?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I believe the XD driver needs a different end cap to the Shimano splined one - Do you have the end cap for the XD freehub or are you reusing the standard one?
  • iLukeKendall
    Okay, so I've managed to resolve the issue. In case it helps anyone with a similar problem in the future, here's the lowdown;

I have two sets of wheels on Pro4 hubs, both of which were running 10mm axles and Shimano freehub bodies. One set of these end caps were inherited from an older set of Pro2 hubs, and the other set were purchased with the Pro4 hub when new.

It would appear that the design of the driveside end cap has changed at some point, as after removing the cap from my other wheel, one of the end caps has a larger chamfer at the bottom making it wider, which was causing my issue and preventing the cassette from fully tightening onto the body, as well as preventing the end cap from fitting through the 10t cog after installing the cassette. The narrower cap fitted through the middle of the cassette perfectly, and all is now good!

IMG-7566.jpg
    IMG-7561.jpg
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Every day is a school day.

Well done for working it out. :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm sure you get a different end cap with the xd driver when purchasing the freehub body.

You've just reminded me to look for the steel freehub for my pro 2 evo the cheap cassettes are chewing it up.
  • iLukeKendall
    swod1 wrote:
    I'm sure you get a different end cap with the xd driver when purchasing the freehub body.

You've just reminded me to look for the steel freehub for my pro 2 evo the cheap cassettes are chewing it up.

Nope, the XD driver just comes stand-alone. I think if you buy the Hope cassette specific freehub bodies, then you get some special end caps.

It’s partly the reason I’ve switched over to an XD driver and SRAM cassette, as even running XTR cassettes were chewing the Shimano freehub.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nope, the XD driver just comes stand-alone. I think if you buy the Hope cassette specific freehub bodies, then you get some special end caps.

It’s partly the reason I’ve switched over to an XD driver and SRAM cassette, as even running XTR cassettes were chewing the Shimano freehub.

The freehub body on hope is alloy for some reason I thought they'd offer the alloy as an option if you wanted it as an extra.

As cassettes wear I'm using the cheap ones from china etc as I'm not paying a lot for one to then have to change it at end of year, using two chains and swapping regularly is helping with longevity.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    swod1 wrote:

I think swod1 is correct. If you buy an XD Driver freehub for Hope hubs it should come with the correct end cap. (e.g. HERE)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009