Orla Chennaoui and the breakaway Eurosport

Alejandrosdog
Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
edited June 2019 in Pro race
Orla is superb! I never had sky sports so shes new to me, but what a breath of fresh air

looks pretty good too.

Eurosport have def upped their game.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I'd rather have the scheduled hour of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque, like the rest of Europe.
    Too much chit chat for my taste.
    I might start watching if they ship them all out to use the Alps backdrop, next week.
    Otherwise, no thanks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529

Rather have the chit-chat that 4 hours of Kirby's Bulls*it.
    I quite like the format, and Orla is both engaging and nice to look at. The inclusion of Dan Lloyd the other day added some informative silliness, and they are always ready to cut back to live action.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'd rather have the scheduled hour of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque, like the rest of Europe.
    I might start watching if they ship them all out to use the Alps backdrop, next week.
    Otherwise, no thanks.
    4 Minutes de Dunkerque should suffice looking at the results of the first two stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Otherwise, no thanks.
    4 Minutes de Dunkerque should suffice looking at the results of the first two stages.

Yesterday's stage had the best camera work of how the ripple effect at the front can cause a huge crash in the bunch further back, that I've ever seen.
    Of course I probably was the only one able to see it.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    It's always been hard to escape Dunkerque.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Alejandrosdog
    i quite like the format, more pundits means more opinion and experience and saves from sending one presenter and an expert doolally thinking of new stuff to say on a five hour stage where most of the time thre is literally not much to say other than the quality of last nights pudding.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's always been hard to escape Dunkerque.

Chapeau !
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    always feels like Roche goes on a bit much, good insight though.
  • RichN95.
    philbar72 wrote:
    He told a story about an intermediate sprint yesterday that threatened to turn into a full length novel.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    RichN95 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    He told a story about an intermediate sprint yesterday that threatened to turn into a full length novel.
    Chip off the old block
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Haven't warmed to Orla yet, no idea why. Not seen her work before, so perhaps that is part of it.

Always liked Jill Douglass's commentary\punditry\interviews whatever you want to call it, as she was fairly rarely an anchor.
    I expect the likes of someone like Armitstead would be good as an expert host when she retires.

I can imagine Thomas making a good host as well, should he decide to go that route.

Dani King could be worth a shot, but I didn't feel Jo Rowsell was that good in either a commentary role, or expert pundit role - guess some people evolve into the role, and or are natural at it to start with.
    The Aussie woman (Whose name escapes me, but used to manage the Wiggle team) has been on the commentary and punditry team for the BBC was really good and polished I though, the right balance of knowledge and enthusiasm for the sport.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    She used to do The Cycling Podcast with Lionel Birnie. She seems to have made the move to TV quite well but I only see the highlights on Quest. Roche is ok but I prefer Millar or Rob Hayles who sometimes appears on the BBC podcast 'Bespoke' and is v.dry and insightful. Brian Smith is succinct.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Orla's got a strong background in journalism and TV presenting. She worked at Sky News/Sky Sports News for nearly 14 years as a presenter and a journalist - with a major focus upon cycling (basically since Sky came into the sport). And she's co-hosted the Cycling Podcast Feminin with Richard Moore since 2016.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not watching much of Sky I hadn't seen her before, but I think she's doing an excellent job. She's obviously a good presenter, very polished and understands the sport well.

Simon Gerrans on today is a nice bonus too.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Orla reminds me too much of Alan Partridge's co-host. When they cut to the studio her smile makes me think one of the guys has made some racist or sexist comment.

(Brian Smith is the Alan Partridge figure, obvs)
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    mrfpb wrote:
    Orla reminds me too much of Alan Partridge's co-host. When they cut to the studio her smile makes me think one of the guys has made some racist or sexist comment.

Imagine Carlton Kirby and Orla together in studio... now that would be highly AP.
  • Alejandrosdog
    mrfpb wrote:

Imagine Carlton Kirby and Orla together in studio... now that would be highly AP.

That would be the TV equivalent of a ghostbusters cross stream
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Finding Orla pretty annoying, always saying the bleeding obvious.

I guess there's only one Gary Imlach.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Anyone else noticed Brad’s body language and facial expression when Brian speaks? Quite entertaining. Not all happy campers methinks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    The bits of the Giro I've seen this last week have been so much better because I have not had to listen to Carlton. Has he been talking over the race at all? It has been good to see Luke Durbridge on-screen without hearing him constantly being called Turbo Durbo. I've found I can even tolerate Matt Stephens (although his swearing incident may hopefully remove him from our screens).

It's a tricky one I imagine for a production team to get right: the need for hours of commentary even when nothing is happening, being accurate, keeping it relevant without going too far down sidetracks. The Giro commentary seems to be on the right course. I'm sure they will learn who are the better experts to have on the sofas.

The current ITV4 commentary team was pretty rough at first, they have got better and better. I'm sure the Breakaway will get better too with time.

A work in progress, which looks very promising.

My only criticism of Orla is make your mind up about which necklace to wear rather than wearing all of them at the same time
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Here’s another thought. Look at Brian’s mouth and try to get this image out of your head. Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    If anybody fancies it, here is yesterday's Orla show with Brad and Bri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0ADw83x5s
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    For the last few weeks I've been in France and watched the Giro on L'Équipe. I been reading the comments about Orla on here and yesterday afternoon I got back to the UK and put Eurosport and caught the end of the broadcast with Orla, Brad, Simon and Brian..... I've got to be honest, never thought much of it myslef, OKish but nothing especially good. Never thought Orla added much to it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Here’s another thought. Look at Brian’s mouth and try to get this image out of your head. Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman.

Noticed that yesterday, naturally curls up which is odd once you've got it in your head.

I guess Orla is holding that 'anchor' role appealing to the general viewer and making it casual viewer friendly rather than a nerd-fest. She's very enthusiastic, verging on the exciteable, but accent aside, no real faults.

Overall, I think its a good show, way better than the previous blunt coverage.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    The bits of the Giro I've seen this last week have been so much better because I have not had to listen to Carlton. Has he been talking over the race at all? It has been good to see Luke Durbridge on-screen without hearing him constantly being called Turbo Durbo. I've found I can even tolerate Matt Stephens (although his swearing incident may hopefully remove him from our screens).

Carlton was on duty for TOC instead. He wasnt that annoying on that one, either that or I just tuned him out. Turkey was a bad one for Carlton , just total rubbish for hours.

Missed the Matt Stephens incident, did he swear on live TV ?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    sherer wrote:

Carlton was on duty for TOC instead. He wasnt that annoying on that one, either that or I just tuned him out. Turkey was a bad one for Carlton , just total rubbish for hours.

I think someone (Blazing?) said that Kirby seems to have been punted off to the international coverage, so everyone but the UK gets his commentary, as the far superior Hatch commentary can then be dovetailed into the studio show that is UK only.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    Daniel B wrote:
    sherer wrote:

I think someone (Blazing?) said that Kirby seems to have been punted off to the international coverage, so everyone but the UK gets his commentary, as the far superior Hatch commentary can then be dovetailed into the studio show that is UK only.

Yup, that was me.
    He and Magnus Backstedt, are doing the full commentary, each day on the international feed. I know as I have to admit I switch to them when UK do the split screen and the studio inserts.
    So, I assume this will continue for the duration, in which case UK Eurosport should have Hatch and Kelly, all the way to Verona.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    sherer wrote:

I'm a bit hard of hearing, and it wasn't subtitled, so I don't know what he said... He was interviewing a rider, recounted an incident and asked for comment, rider said he didn't know as he wasn't there (I think) and MS said a naughty word I couldn't hear. Cut very quickly to studio and Orla apologised for some swearing.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    sherer wrote:

I'm a bit hard of hearing, and it wasn't subtitled, so I don't know what he said... He was interviewing a rider, recounted an incident and asked for comment, rider said he didn't know as he wasn't there (I think) and MS said a naughty word I couldn't hear. Cut very quickly to studio and Orla apologised for some swearing.

My take was MS asked a rider about headwind (or tailwind - can't remember), rider said it wasn't a headwind, MS said something like 'did I say headwind? ah boh-locks I meant tailwind' and think asked if they could re-start. Not sure these things are always 'live live' (as usually need to wait for the studio types to finish what they are saying) and think ES maybe played the recording when they should have put out the re-take.

In fact wouldn't most interviews be recorded then played out, albeit just a few minutes later, just in case a rider says a naughty?
  • RichN95.
    Is B0ll0cks still swearing? A major political party is currently using it in an election slogan