Do you use powder when wearing bibshorts?

Dethagorf
Dethagorf Posts: 14
edited May 2019 in Road general
As all you know, after riding a few mile you get sweat and it stinks when you sit on a cafe etc.
Do you guys use powder(baby powder) when wearing bibshorts? Does it prevent the stink?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No and more than probably, no.

PP
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No stink. Clean shorts and clean body. Wash both after every ride.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no stink. we wash our clothes and bodies.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Never experienced that.

I use chamois cream, but purely for comfort.

Wash my bibs inside out using halo sports wash, never had any issues.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I am known to wash very little, any ride of less than 100 km is not even worth a shower... that said, I have never experienced such issue
    left the forum March 2023
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    It takes hours for the bacteria that thrives in sweat to smell, so you'll be fine if you start off clean with clean bibs.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I am known to wash very little, any ride of less than 100 km is not even worth a shower... that said, I have never experienced such issue
    Generally it’s other people who would notice how much you stink.
  • Matthewfalle

errr - why do you not wash?

#cleanliness

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    Regards.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

It all started by not wanting to shower at work, as it's too much hassle... merino base layer allows you to do so, with no unwanted odour (although not sure the same can be said about clothes drying on the radiator's office, but that's the same regardless of whether you wash or not).
    I then realised that the need to shower is more a habit than anything. Skin is a lot healthier, virtually got rid of itching, which was quite common after using body wash products.

There is no side effect that I can see (or other can smell) so I don't see the need to go back to a daily shower. The 100 km rule is a rule of thumb... might be less if it's hot in summer.

Some people smell more than others, so it doesn't work for all... it works for me
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

It all started by not wanting to shower at work, as it's too much hassle... merino base layer allows you to do so, with no unwanted odour (although not sure the same can be said about clothes drying on the radiator's office, but that's the same regardless of whether you wash or not).
    I then realised that the need to shower is more a habit than anything. Skin is a lot healthier, virtually got rid of itching, which was quite common after using body wash products.

There is no side effect that I can see (or other can smell) so I don't see the need to go back to a daily shower. The 100 km rule is a rule of thumb... might be less if it's hot in summer.

Some people smell more than others, so it doesn't work for all... it works for me

#bogging

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

I don't have a shower at work. I shower before and after work.

But then, I do work in an open plan space at the moment. When that changes in a couple of months I plan on going feral like Ugo.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

But then, I do work in an open plan space at the moment. When that changes in a couple of months I plan on going feral like Ugo.

You won't regret it... the more you wash, the more you stink if you don't... it's a question of which bacteria populate your skin. If you keep killing them with body wash, there is a high risk your skin gets colonised by harmful bacteria, with all sorts of nasty consequences (including fungal infections).
    If you really need to wash to remove the salty sweat, use just water, we didn't evolve to use soaps
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hmmm. I shower a lot. No issues.
  • ugo.santalucia
    cougie wrote:
    Hmmm. I shower a lot. No issues.

Good for you... I used to have very itchy skin when I showered more often. Now I shower far less and when I do I only use water, occasionally a soap bar if I need to remove some sturdy grime from my legs
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    No. Never crossed my mind, and now it has, it’s still no.
  • webboo
    If I don’t have a shower first thing in a morning I can’t get my body working.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

You won't regret it... the more you wash, the more you stink if you don't... it's a question of which bacteria populate your skin. If you keep killing them with body wash, there is a high risk your skin gets colonised by harmful bacteria, with all sorts of nasty consequences (including fungal infections).
    If you really need to wash to remove the salty sweat, use just water, we didn't evolve to use soaps

I’m not convinced washing with soap means you’re more likely to have skin colonised by harmful bacteria, and I’m absolutely certain bacteria cannot give you a fungal infection, but if it works for you.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

Do you use toilet paper? Just wondered.
  • Matthewfalle
    #bogging.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    Webboo wrote:

NO such reports...

I’m sure that when I attended infection control training they stated that soap and water is the best way of preventing the transfer of harmful bacteria.
  • Matthewfalle
    bizarrely enough, in all the health & hygiene lectures i have attended & given nowhere have i seen it written that not washing is good for infection control.

#gopping

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    soap and water kill bacteria... all of them indiscriminately. If you abuse it (ie shower with foam every day) YOU MIGHT damage the balance of good bacteria living on your skin.... this might or might not have consequences.

As I said, I got rid of itchiness and have no drawbacks, others will have different experience. If it's not for you, it's not for you... :-)

Also, don't confuse washing your hands after being to a public loo with covering your entire body with shower gel every day... different things. You can come into contact with harmful bacteria via your hands, which can end up in your mouth or eyes, but you won't come into contact with them via the rest of your body... I still wash my hands :wink:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844

This. I can sweat a lot on a ride but am rarely smelly. My wife has commented regularly that my sweat hardly ever has that stale edge about it.

As far as itchy skin is concerned I use Emulsifying Ointment as a soap substitute with a scrubbing glove. Does the job and moisturises the skin at the same time. That allows me to shower as often as I want with little impact on the natural oils in the skin.
  • navrig2
    bizarrely enough, in all the health & hygiene lectures i have attended & given nowhere have i seen it written that not washing is good for infection control.

#gopping

Are these the Proctor and Gambol sponsored lectures?

There is a difference between hygiene and washing.
  • Matthewfalle
    generally the two tie together.

#gopping

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    Back to the OP.

Don't expect to see baby powder for much longer, J&J have just lost a case relating to their powder causing cancer in women who used it in their pants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44816805
  • navrig2
    generally the two tie together.

#gopping

But not always

#narrowmindedtroll
  • ugo.santalucia
    Navrig2 wrote:

My granma was born in 1910... she lived to almost 100 and never needed medications, in her days she would have a bath every 6 months and wash her hair with the same frequency... it was fairly common back then for those living in the countryside with access to water limited to a well.
    Her hair never looked dirty... pretty remarkable. Compare with the majority of frequent washing folks whose hair looks greasy after a day or two :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Navrig2 wrote:

My granma was born in 1910... she lived to almost 100 and never needed medications, in her days she would have a bath every 6 months and wash her hair with the same frequency... it was fairly common back then for those living in the countryside with access to water limited to a well.
    Her hair never looked dirty... pretty remarkable. Compare with the majority of frequent washing folks whose hair looks greasy after a day or two :lol:

There will, undoubtedly, also be people who live to a similar age and who wash every day. There will also be those who swear that the secret to old age is smoking 20 a day and two bottles of stout every night. Not sure what point you're making..