Planet x bikes

2»

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    even if you just look at shimano
    you have DA Di2, Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace all more expensive than Ultegra and only 105 cheaper (ignoring disc/rim brake variations) so i'm with MF on this one.

It might just be me but i also find 105 shifts better than Ultegra but Dura Ace beats them both!

Edit - for an 11 speed groupset
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    david7m wrote:
    What are people's views of planet x bikes.recently purchased one with ultegra group set but it doesn't seem to shift gears like it should.
    Could be all in my head but it just doesn't slip through the gears..always a rattle of chain or slipping gears...I've re-indexed it myself and although it's slightly better it's still not pleasing me like it should for a new bike
    I've read a lot of horror stories about mainly customer service but just wondered about the components they use on their bikes...are they genuine parts?..or maybe aftermarket reject parts.
    TIA

They will be genuine parts initially, but that doesn't mean if you purchased second hand it doesn't have duff gear on. I haven't heard of fake shimano chainsets for example.

Did you get the bike new? If so, take it back, probably just adjustment.

Bought the bike brand new about a week ago now..hasn't been shifting well at all but maybe it could be a bent deurailleur as this had crossed my mind.
    Havent contacted them yet but by the sounds of things it's prob a waste of time
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    david7m wrote:
    What are people's views of planet x bikes.recently purchased one with ultegra group set but it doesn't seem to shift gears like it should.
    Could be all in my head but it just doesn't slip through the gears..always a rattle of chain or slipping gears...I've re-indexed it myself and although it's slightly better it's still not pleasing me like it should for a new bike
    I've read a lot of horror stories about mainly customer service but just wondered about the components they use on their bikes...are they genuine parts?..or maybe aftermarket reject parts.
    TIA

They will be genuine parts initially, but that doesn't mean if you purchased second hand it doesn't have duff gear on. I haven't heard of fake shimano chainsets for example.

Did you get the bike new? If so, take it back, probably just adjustment.

Bought the bike brand new about a week ago now..hasn't been shifting well at all but maybe it could be a bent deurailleur as this had crossed my mind.
    Havent contacted them yet but by the sounds of things it's prob a waste of time

i'd ignore the subjective opinions (even my own!) about ultegra being expensive or not, it is a good groupset and should shift well if brand new.

The parts will be genuine.

it could be down to the cable routing - if it has been built up and the outer cable was cut too short this can make the cable turn tighter and creates more friction and this can impact shifting, especially the last bit before the rear mech.

If you aren't happy i'd contact them they may have a few checks they'd like you to do or send some pictures - might be a quick fix and you'll be happy with your new purchase, which you should be!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Cheap and expensive are not absolute terms so to describe Ultegra as "cheap" is clearly just a misguided opinion.

ultegra front mech £30
    etap front mech £299.99

#ultegraischeap

For starters that's an apple and pears comparison. At least compare Di2 and etap.

That's not cheap. It may be cheaper or it may be better value.

However you could just as easily describe the etap front mech as (stupidly) expensive (using your method of assessment).
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Cheap and expensive are not absolute terms so to describe Ultegra as "cheap" is clearly just a misguided opinion.

ultegra front mech £30
    etap front mech £299.99

#ultegraischeap

For starters that's an apple and pears comparison. At least compare Di2 and etap.

That's not cheap. It may be cheaper or it may be better value.

However you could just as easily describe the etap front mech as (stupidly) expensive (using your method of assessment).

I listed the three brands mechanical and electric above, though a Dura-ace Di2 9150 is 229.99, still cheaper than eTap, though the AXS front mech is £370 which is madness in itself.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    claris front mech - £15
    chorus mechanical front mech £80 (eighty pounds!)
    force mechanical front mech £40
    105 mechanical front mech £29.99
    ultegra mechanical front mech £30

yup, ultegra is cheap - its not a bad thing as it pets loads of people have access to it, but you can't - as the dude above has - say its "expensive"

#ultegraischeap
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    True, I'd imagine a if you race its ideal to be fair, cheap but decent enough quality
  • Matthewfalle
    its fine for racing, training, communting - works fine, cheap, easy to replace, almost disposable.

its just not very special. you don't aspire to own it. you'd never gaze at it in a copy of Cyclist and wistfully say to yourself "one day that could be mine".

#itsalright

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Of course everyone says "Ooh, look SRAM Apex, Rival, Force, I'd love to have that!" NOT.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above. Like anyone 'aspires' to owning a groupset, ffs...
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    Of course everyone says "Ooh, look SRAM Apex, Rival, Force, I'd love to have that!" NOT.

they probably do for Force when comparing it to Ultegra

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    s-l300.jpg

Not that lusting means that it is any good functionally.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    s-l300.jpg

Not that lusting means that it is any good functionally.

nice.

#bellezza

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Just back from Majorca where I hired an 11 speed Ultegra equipped Merida road bike. I was surprised how clunky it was and the left hand lever needed a hefty push to move onto the outer ring. We had two bikes and they both had the same "issues". I prefer my low end Tiagra. Nothing as smooth as my DT shifters of course.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can anyone actually remember the groupset they had for some memorable rides of the past? I certainly can't.

It's not about the groupset. Or even bike.
  • StillGoing
    bigjim wrote:
    Just back from Majorca where I hired an 11 speed Ultegra equipped Merida road bike. I was surprised how clunky it was and the left hand lever needed a hefty push to move onto the outer ring. We had two bikes and they both had the same "issues". I prefer my low end Tiagra. Nothing as smooth as my DT shifters of course.

Surprise as rental bike suffers with use by non-owners. :roll:
  • StillGoing
    cougie wrote:
    Can anyone actually remember the groupset they had for some memorable rides of the past? I certainly can't.

Agreed. You win the post of the day.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:

descending from Rocca di Mezzo to Castelvecchio with the Italian National team, August 2017 - SRAM Red 10 speed.

#damntheiryouth&goodlooks

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:

but generally, yeah. big phat hat post.

#agree

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    philthy3 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Yes, we stopped for a coffee today in Castro Marin and this 102 year old bloke turned up with a basket of freshly caught John Dory strapped across his handlebars and everybody in the bar had an orgasm over his three speed Sturmey Archer.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Yes, we stopped for a coffee today in Castro Marin and this 102 year old bloke turned up with a basket of freshly caught John Dory strapped across his handlebars and everybody in the bar had an orgasm over his three speed Sturmey Archer.

thats a fishy tail.

#seewhatididthere?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    its fine for racing, training, communting - works fine, cheap, easy to replace, almost disposable.

its just not very special. you don't aspire to own it. you'd never gaze at it in a copy of Cyclist and wistfully say to yourself "one day that could be mine".

#itsalright

Your writing from your own perspective my own experience of SRAM has not been positive and the italian bike industry is mainly export driven with Italians themselves being quite cheap cyclists going for lower end models than many other countries. Companies like Bianchi are meant to put the highest margins of any rebranded far eastern bikes something like 12x compared to 4x for direct sellers and somewhere in-between for normal importers. I have absolutely no interest or desire to ever have a Campagnola groupset on a bike being someone who sees Shimano as having superior engineering and manufacturing quality.

The two countries that represent the very best engineering of bicycles and their components today are Taiwan and Japan and most italian branded products are just rebranded imports from the far east. It's like comparing a Japanese car to a Italian car, the italian car might be more sexy with more heritage than the Japanese car but the Japanese car actually works without frequent repairs because its better engineered and made to a higher quality level.

I suspect the majority of cyclists have absolutely no interest in Campagnola at all(looking at sales figures) and certainly don't aspire to have one of their groupsets. It's like Alfa Romeo's some people love them but the vast majority don't want a car of such poor engineering quality even if it looks good and handles well and has a lot of history. It's just annoying when you see someone stating the product they like is somehow something others should aspire to like they do, when the reality is other's might actually think the company's products are completely undesirable to them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Accountancy or project management?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Accountancy or project management?

accountancy. definitly.

#nooneeverplayedatcharteredaccountants

De Sisti wrote: