Giro 2019, Stage 8: Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro 239 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 8: Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro 239 km

Saturday, May 18th

START TIME: 11.15 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Here we go, yet again, with another stage that looks pretty much like most of the rest, in this first week.
At 239 km, the longest Giro stage is divided into two distinct parts: it begins flat for 140 km, following the Adriatic coast, before taking in a succession of undulations and punchy climbs for the next 100 km, as far as the finish. The route takes in a dozen ascents, including 3 categorised climbs. After crossing the Monte San Bartolo, the final descent ends 3 km from the finish.

2yn72TV.jpg?1

G19_T08_Pesaro_alt_jpg-2.jpg

Tortoreto Lido was included in the 2011 Giro. The race set off to a punchy arrival in Castelfidardo, where John Gadret outgunned Joaquim Rodríguez and Alberto Contador.

The Monte della Mattera is crested at kilometre 168.5 after a 10 kilometres climb with an average gradient of almost 4%.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-8-climb-n3-a831d81be3.jpg

Following the Mattera climb the route is hardly ever flat. The last 35 kilometres in particular are demanding with roads going either up or down. The Monteluro climb and the Gabicce Monte stand out, respectively crested at kilometre 203.7 and at kilometre 214.9.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-8-climb-n5-477b0ea5ba.jpg

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-8-climb-n6-35ef0b4656.jpg

On undulating roads the route continues to a technical descent of approximately 7 kilometres to Pesaro. The riders reach the seaside town inside the last 3 kilometres before a final run-in on the flat. The home straight is 250 m long, on 7m wide asphalt road.

G19_T08_Pesaro_ARR_jpg.jpg

G19_T08_Pesaro_ukm_jpg.jpg

Favourites 8th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Caleb Ewan, Enrico Battaglin
** Thomas De Gendt, Jan Bakelants, Florian Sénéchal, Peter Serry
* Primoz Roglic, Vincenzo Nibali, Simon Yates, Richard Carapaz

TORTORETO LIDO

Tortoreto is a lovely and attractive seaside town on the coast of the Adriatic Sea in the province of Teramo in the Abruzzo region. Its population is 11 783. Tortoreto is divided into three parts: the medieval town in the hills, the seafront resort, usually referred to as Tortoreto Lido and three hamlets (Salino, Cavatassi, Terrabianca). Its origins are very old: in its territory there is also a Roman “Villa” that dates back to the 2nd century B.C.
In the 1900s Tortoreto became a touristic town for very relaxing summer holidays thanks to the wonderful sea, the long beaches, and the amazing promenade called Lungomare Sirena. Tortoreto Lido also has a magnificent bicycle path immersed in the green and surrounded by beautiful hotels, confortable boarding houses and astonishing beach resorts ready to welcome thousands of tourists every year.

The touristic soul of the town is confirmed by the recognition that Tortoreto gets every year: the Blue Flag Beach obtained twenty-two times; the Green Flag that is given to the best beaches for children; the Yellow Flag for the municipality that has a bike path(FIAB); the Green Spike for sustainable rural development.
Tortoreto ia also famous for its well-cultivated hills where excellent wine and oil are produced. These products, together with clams that are collected by the fishrmen from Tortoreto, represent the typical products of this territory.

Tortoreto9.jpg

PESARO

The city was founded as Pisaurum by the Romans in 184 BC as a colony in the territory of the Picentes, the people who lived on the northeast coast during the Iron Age. Pesaro, lies a long the the Adriatic Sea, with its culture and accessibility, has chosen hospitality as a way of life. There are seven kilometres of beaches, equipped and free, surrounded by a unique environment such as San Bartolo Park. During the summer the holiday is very lively with a calendar full of events including la Mostra internazionale del Cinema and il Rossini Opera Festival. In 2017 il received the recognition of European sports City. With more than 180 sport facilities every year hosts hundreds of national and international sporting events, there are 10 world champions and an increasing number of athletes. Since 2017, it has also been designated as a Unesco creative city. As a homage to Rossini, the composer and musician from Pesaro, in 2016 the Rossinian celebrations were launched, as part of the 150 ° anniversary of his death.

Pesaro3.jpg

The city offers all the opportunities of a historic center of ancient origin still alive today. Many artisan workshops are discovered in the alleys, laboratories and shops that present the productions of the famous and secular tradition of “Ceramica Pesarese”, antiquarians, bookstores, specialized shops. The shopping centre hundreds of shops, many of which are of the highest quality. A pleasant surprise is represented by the numerous parks and gardens: These are ample and well-kept green oasis that mark the city both inside and just outside the perimeter of the old town.

GASTRONOMY

The gastronomic culture of Pesaro has an affinity with Romagna pesaro is on the coast and the fish is privileged ingredient that you can taste in most restaurants. Among the proposed recipes, roasted and brodetto.
Rossini was a chef and he knew how to compose also in the kitchen, combining fine wines with different dishes, in fact there are menus and dishes from Rossini as the famous “Tournedos” (Medallions of meat) also do not miss the recipes dedicated to him.

tournedos-rossini-recipe.jpg?sw=660&strip=false

Even the pizzerias have a reddish dish, the pizza Rossini, with boiled egg and very tasty mayonnaise, which we think the famous composer would have appreciated.

2013-07-14-20.43.22.jpg

In the territory of Pesaro and Urbino, the best wine is the Bianchello del Metauro DOC.

bianchello-del-metauro-degustazione.jpg

It is the wine of the taverns, presented without pretensions and instead represents very well our tradition and Colli Pesaresi Doc, in the vineyards located in a wide area of territory of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I'm curious from which source you get your stage Favourites listing?

(mayo on pizza - ugh!)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    That stretch of road between Gabicce Mare and Pesaro was used in the long TT that Dowsett won ahead of Wiggins in 2013. I don't know if it's hard enough to drop the pure sprinters, but this looks like a day for a break to succeed again.
  • blazing_saddles
    knedlicky wrote:
    I'm curious from which source you get your stage Favourites listing?

(mayo on pizza - ugh!)

Some come from a source, but some are my own from the startlist.

Nathan Brown was in the break, but has sat up, so it's just two men, Frapporti and Cima, who lead by 2:56.
    Could be back to the long, slow days of earlier in the week.
  • blazing_saddles
    Gap: after 62 km, 5:36, so approx 40kph for the first hour and a half.
  • blazing_saddles
    Orla says they have extended chit chat after the stage, today.
    So, with very little likely to happen here again and the Queen stage of 4 Jours unlikely to make UK screens, I reckon I'll swap races today and record the finish here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Bizarre ruling to neutralise GC at 3k which will be on a descent. Surely people will attack over the crest and down hill to get a gap. Sunweb spread rumour
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Bizarre ruling to neutralise GC at 3k which will be on a descent. Surely people will attack over the crest and down hill to get a gap. Sunweb spread rumour

Lotto too.
    Weird.

It's a terrible stage without this, but amazingly, the best until next Thursday..

After the ITT tomorrow, comes a rest day, followed by 2 absolute billiard table profiles.
  • mididoctors
    Bit of a action in final 25k. Trio of riders clipped off.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Nooooooooooooo
  • mididoctors
    Good winner in the sprint
  • mididoctors
    Well that stage is finished
  • Well, that was... a stage that happened.
  • blazing_saddles
    You can hear the desperation in Hatch's voice, now, trying to breath some life into another corpse of a stage.
    "What is that falling form the sky? Surely, it cannot be.....oh no............ it's is, it's rain! Oh my God, this is terrifying, I can hardly watch."
    You were not alone, Rob. zzzzzzzzzzz
  • mididoctors
    It still been hard on the riders .that's the thing.
  • rick_chasey
    Will be more riders retiring ill.

But am gutted Evans won
  • blazing_saddles
    It still been hard on the riders .that's the thing.

Don't worry, lads. The ITT tomorrow, then the get a rest day........................
    ....................then another....

G19_T10_Modena_alt_jpg-2.jpg

..............and then another.

G19_T11_NoviLigure_alt.jpg

:wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

But am gutted Evans won

Why? He won that fair and square.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    well thats hours of my life I'll never get back....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

But am gutted Evans won

Assume you mean Ewan?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Any stage won by Caleb Ewan is, by definition, sh!t.
  • knedlicky
    Well, that was... a stage that happened.
    zzzzzzzzzzz
    I don't know what you guys expect – I'm sure I've seen a million worse stages in the TdF.
    Admittedly I only watched the last third but maybe with more interest than you, because I know the roads of the last 50-60 kms very well (I similarly know the TT route on Sunday).

And the stage wasn't without interest – the two in the break were already very highly-placed in both the Sprint and the Breakaway competitions, so out there intentionally to gain more points and more kms to consolidate their placings. Frapporti also moved up in the KOM competition – which was surely why Ciccone felt he had to react over the last couple of climbs.
    De Gendt did a tactical spell up front to prevent the break getting too far ahead of Ewan, his sprinter team-mate, so in the end it was 'Job well done, Thomas!' Groupama-FDJ tried the same later, for Demare, thus deterring Ciccone from trying to kick on (although when it came to the sprint, it looked to me Demare lost his lead-out yet again!)
  • rick_chasey
    smithy21 wrote:
    Any stage won by Caleb Ewan is, by definition, sh!t.

:lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    knedlicky wrote:
    zzzzzzzzzzz
    I don't know what you guys expect – I'm sure I've seen a million worse stages in the TdF.

This isn't the TDF though, this is the Giro.
    I don't expect to have to wait for two-thirds of the race to be over before there is any proper GC action at all.
    I said when the route was announced that it was ridiculously back loaded and I haven't been proven wrong.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    knedlicky wrote:
    zzzzzzzzzzz

I don't expect to have to wait for two-thirds of the race to be over before there is any proper GC action at all.
    I said when the route was announced that it was ridiculously back loaded and I haven't been proven wrong.

Agree... nothing until next Friday and after that maybe another 3 stages when something can happen in the GC...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    I seem to remember last year being the same, and the year before that.... Look at the profile before watching. Likely sprint stage? Watch the last 20kms, max. Same for all GTs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I seem to remember last year being the same, and the year before that.... Look at the profile before watching. Likely sprint stage? Watch the last 20kms, max. Same for all GTs.

Last year they had GC action far, far earlier on. Mt Etna was stage 6, there were medium mtn stages 8 and 9, and there were GC riders winning hilly stages for a few bonus seconds. By this point of the race we'd already written off Froome.

You need a mountain or two in the first week to shake things up a bit, get riders trying to claw back some seconds they've lost or build on the seconds they've won. There have been a few hilly stages, but nobody GC has been looking to use them yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    PBlakeney wrote:

Last year they had GC action far, far earlier on. Mt Etna was stage 6, there were medium mtn stages 8 and 9, and there were GC riders winning hilly stages for a few bonus seconds. By this point of the race we'd already written off Froome.

You need a mountain or two in the first week to shake things up a bit, get riders trying to claw back some seconds they've lost or build on the seconds they've won. There have been a few hilly stages, but nobody GC has been looking to use them yet.

This.
    Even stages 3 (caused minor GC time gaps) and 4 were lumpier than anything we have had this week. Stages 6 and 9 were proper GC affairs. Froome took a good kicking in the latter.
    After today we will have had two time trials, zero mountains and the only GC road action caused by a crash.
  • rick_chasey
    Reserve judgment till it’s over but it’s not been much of a work distraction let me put it that way.

Could do without a sprinter stage and a TT on the weekend.
  • rick_chasey
    PBlakeney wrote:

It was entirely predictable.
  • knedlicky
    Instead of just comparing this year to the last couple of years, have another look at the first week of other Giros during the last decade.
    Except for 2011, the terrain of the earlier stages during 2010-2016 were all pretty much like this year's, 2013 especially. They were all 'back-loaded'; it's not this year which is different.