Ride London 2019 anyone?

Comments

• Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    cougie wrote:

Don't you need ID to collect your number ? Will you be going in drag to collect ?

Strictly speaking You don’t need the I.D. You can ‘arrange for someone to pick your rider pack up for you’ you just need a signed letter from the actual rider to authorise the pick up. This is one way that people get away with selling their entry.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tyresome wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Don't you need ID to collect your number ? Will you be going in drag to collect ?

Strictly speaking You don’t need the I.D. You can ‘arrange for someone to pick your rider pack up for you’ you just need a signed letter from the actual rider to authorise the pick up. This is one way that people get away with selling their entry.
    Er - and their ID (or is it just a copy?) no way I'm selling my ID - even just a copy - to someone I don't know and trust.
  • Tyresome
    I’d imagine the ballot itself is weighted, and that the random element comes in the choice of exactly who from the weighted groups constitutes the final entry list. To oversimplify it a bit, ( theoretically speaking ) the ballot entries are fed into a computer system, and weightings are applied, dependant on What the organisers are aiming for as far as constituent groups go. For example, a woman with a given ethnicity, of a given age group, is given a ‘weighting number tag’ a man of a given ethnicity in a given age group, gets a different ‘number tag’. The organisers decide what percentage of each tagged group they want to make up the entry, then riders are picked at random from each group until the entry is filled, with the organisers desired constituent split. The actual individuals are picked at random from the groups. This year, there’s a big push ( from British Cycling at least ) to get 1 million females cycling regularly, so I’d imagine they may have leaned on the organisers of the PRLS a bit.
  • Tyresome
    Slowbike wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Er - and their ID (or is it just a copy?) no way I'm selling my ID - even just a copy - to someone I don't know and trust.

The other way some people do this is by agreeing to sell the entry, pick up their own rider pack ( with ID ) and arrange to pass it on in person ( as you’ve only got Friday and Saturday to pick up your pack ) and I doubt anyone would trust the post to get the pack to the ‘customer’.
  • slowbike
    Tyresome wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Tyresome wrote:
    cougie wrote:

The other way some people do this is by agreeing to sell the entry, pick up their own rider pack ( with ID ) and arrange to pass it on in person ( as you’ve only got Friday and Saturday to pick up your pack ) and I doubt anyone would trust the post to get the pack to the ‘customer’.

With the hassle of having to go into London to get it - I can understand if Excel is close to where you live/work - but for me, that's a days trip - stuff that!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not trust a random to sell their place to me and have to arrange to collect it the day before. If they get a better offer that's an expensive weekend for an out of towner.

Do people jump in on the ride and bandit it ? They'd get picked out after the finish and not get any time or medals but I'm sure some would do it.
  • cougie wrote:
    I'd not trust a random to sell their place to me and have to arrange to collect it the day before. If they get a better offer that's an expensive weekend for an out of towner.

Do people jump in on the ride and bandit it ? They'd get picked out after the finish and not get any time or medals but I'm sure some would do it.

I've jumped in before at Richmond Park. It's well worth it for the closed roads, sure you don't get any time or medal but on the bright side you've saved £69.00.

With regards to lying on the application to get a place, seems a bit much to me. Ride London is alright but the course isn't all that aside from the novelty of the Central London bits and there's other closed road sportives out there.
  • cougie
    No snipers on the mall to take you out Joe?
  • cougie wrote:
    No snipers on the mall to take you out Joe?

They must have missed such is the power of my sprint :lol:
  • slowbike
    Joe Totale wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I've jumped in before at Richmond Park. It's well worth it for the closed roads, sure you don't get any time or medal but on the bright side you've saved £69.00.

With regards to lying on the application to get a place, seems a bit much to me. Ride London is alright but the course isn't all that aside from the novelty of the Central London bits and there's other closed road sportives out there.

So - you're happy to freeload of everyone else paying their kings ransom to close the city - but criticise those who try circumventing the ballot system - what do you think of those asking others to shell out £500+ just so they can ride their bike? ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    cougie wrote:

So - you're happy to freeload of everyone else paying their kings ransom to close the city - but criticise those who try circumventing the ballot system - what do you think of those asking others to shell out £500+ just so they can ride their bike? ;)

My morals are dubious at best! :twisted:
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Holding an open vote on who to fundraising for with my place.
    Feel free to add your vote. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216472626741314&id=1026432149
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rejected for the 100% record since the ride opened (rode for UNICEF last year). It's clearly not a ballot - next time around I'll be registering as female and reckoning it'll take me all day to get round.
    Just to add the counter argument...
    My son (27) got in via the ballot in 2015, 16, and 17. He had his first rejection in 2018. This seems to belie the theory that males don't get a place.
    Under 30 though. Males between 40 and 55? Forget it! They have 20,000 places in all, approx. How many go to charities and employees of the organisers and charities? 15,000? 17,000? So the ballot is realistically 2-3000 places.
    They should say if you get a ballot place one year, you can't get one next year. It's supposed to be a legacy event, it's supposed to be inclusive.
    I'm 50 and have got in on the 4th attempt!I have CC mates who are 50-60 who have had mixed experiences.Some have gotten in every year,some not at all and others a mixture of yes and no.
    I think once the charity places are allocated then each age group must get so many allocations so as someone said earlier it's probably a 25% chance of success.
  • Got my rejection pack, out of four of us one rider got a place.

I'll hold out for the Amstel team event again of it's running this year.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    dont forget each year it's a new ballot and so your chances or getting accepted \ rejected arent based on previous drawers. Much like your chances or winning the lottery dont reduce for every week you play it.
  • cougie
    They have extended the payment date.

https://twitter.com/RideLondon/status/1 ... 05920?s=19

Wonder if they have seen a drop off in cash ?
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Any stats on how many bikes get nicked on the ride normally? Just debating what bike to use and as I'm now doing it on my own (if you can call with 20,000 others being on my own but you know what I mean) I don't fancy my best bike getting swiped whilst I having a pee or having to leave it somewhere for a minute. I could imagine there is some seriously expensive kit being left unattended at various points so there must be some organised crime going on? Or am I being paranoid and there's more chance of getting taken out by someone on a descent!!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    handful wrote:
    Any stats on how many bikes get nicked on the ride normally? Just debating what bike to use and as I'm now doing it on my own (if you can call with 20,000 others being on my own but you know what I mean) I don't fancy my best bike getting swiped whilst I having a pee or having to leave it somewhere for a minute. I could imagine there is some seriously expensive kit being left unattended at various points so there must be some organised crime going on? Or am I being paranoid and there's more chance of getting taken out by someone on a descent!!

Just don't leave it unattended, there's no need. If you have to go for a pee, adopt a buddy. Just say to someone "I'll hold yours if you'll hold mine" :lol:

Accidents can happen anywhere.

The older I get, the better I was.

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Capt Slog wrote:
    handful wrote:

Just don't leave it unattended, there's no need. If you have to go for a pee, adopt a buddy. Just say to someone "I'll hold yours if you'll hold mine" :lol:

Accidents can happen anywhere.

Yeh, I guess so. As I suggested new bike has got me a bit paranoid and it will have worn off a bit by then! Thanks
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    So after two applications and two rejections, I now have an option to ride this one.

I live 60 odd miles out from London on the M4, so the only bit putting me off is the logistics of getting in for the start, and getting back afterwards.

How hilly is it (I'm aware of Leith and Boxhill though never ridden them), and where roughly do the hills materialise?
    EDIT: Found the elevation
    http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.com%2Frcuk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fride-london-profile-620x225.jpg

I have a vehicle that can easily swallow my bike, so just wondering whether it makes more sense to try and get a hotel room, or just leave at 4am, park up somewhere on the outskirts - not looked on a map yet, and then ride in.

What kind of level of spares and kit do you take with you - CO2, tubes, levers, rain cape etc?

Cheers
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Daniel B wrote:
    So after two applications and two rejections, I now have an option to ride this one.

I live 60 odd miles out from London on the M4, so the only bit putting me off is the logistics of getting in for the start, and getting back afterwards.

How hilly is it (I'm aware of Leith and Boxhill though never ridden them), and where roughly do the hills materialise?
    http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.com%2Frcuk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fride-london-profile-620x225.jpg

I have a vehicle that can easily swallow my bike, so just wondering whether it makes more sense to try and get a hotel room, or just leave at 4am, park up somewhere on the outskirts - not looked on a map yet, and then ride in.

What kind of level of spares and kit do you take with you - CO2, tubes, levers, rain cape etc?

Cheers

What's your start time? I'd say you'll be fine parking and riding. Make sure you park the right side of the closures though...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Daniel B wrote:

How hilly is it?

Seeing that "the winner" is an amateur and will average 25 mph or over, I would say not very hilly at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    Hi all. Two charities I work with have Ride London 100 places. Here are details in case anyone is looking for a ride:
    "SADS UK has charity places available for the Prudential Ride London – Surrey 100 Event - 4th August 2019. Minimum Sponsorship of £350. For more information/secure your place please contact Anne Jolly on 01277 811215 or e-mail info@sadsuk.org."

"Mayor's Fund for London are looking for riders to take our 5 bond places. Places are free and for the full 100 mile event. All we ask is that you raise sponsorship to support our work with young Londoners from low-income backgrounds. The fundraising target for each rider is £800.
    If you would like to take part, please complete and return this form (https://www.mayorsfundforlondon.org.uk/…/1a.-Prudential-Rid…) by Wednesday 20 May. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis."
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

This will be my fourth RL. I have always parked in the City. Free parking after 11am on Saturday and all day Sunday: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/service ... rking.aspx

You are then in between the start and end points, so it's really easy. Just have to make sure your driving route avoids the road closures (which they show on the website nearer the time). You might be surprised how much traffic there is even very early in the morning.

Don't tell anyone else though!
  • ianlash
    Daniel B wrote:

How hilly is it?

Seeing that "the winner" is an amateur and will average 25 mph or over, I would say not very hilly at all

Only bout 4000ft, so flat and fast.
  • cougie
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

Same kit you'd take out on any similar distance ride surely ?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    ianlash wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

This will be my fourth RL. I have always parked in the City. Free parking after 11am on Saturday and all day Sunday: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/service ... rking.aspx

You are then in between the start and end points, so it's really easy. Just have to make sure your driving route avoids the road closures (which they show on the website nearer the time). You might be surprised how much traffic there is even very early in the morning.

That's really useful. How much parking is there around there, doesn't appear to be too much.
  • daniel_b
    Eeeeek, ok looks like I am doing it then!
    Thanks for the info above, will trawl through it at some point very soon.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ianlash
    Tashman wrote:
    ianlash wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

That's really useful. How much parking is there around there, doesn't appear to be too much.

You park where the parking metres are, so there is a fair amount. I suppose it does depend on your start time though. Mine has always been around 6am, so it might not be so easy to find a place later.
  • daniel_b
    Hello again,

so I have paid for my place, but there has been a change of plan - as we are now planning to go into London either late Friday or early Saturday, stay one or two nights, and take part in the 'free ride' on the Saturday, which I gather is the 8 mile route.
    I also realsied you need to go to the Excel centre at some point to pick up your entry details/number etc etc.
    Do you need to stick numbers on bike and or helmet?

At present, I have booked a family room in Newham just for Saturday night, this includes parking, and critically I can take my bike inside!
    Distance to the start of Ride London is good, at something like a little less than 2 miles.

However, latterly as we are now considering the free ride, I wonder if I should look at somewhere a bit closer to the loop (Think this is around 8 miles away) - although I think you can basically join it at whatever point you want.

My daughter will just be shy of 6 years old, and is a fairly competent rider, although as you would expect, not that rapid.
    I'll be on my road bike, but my gf will be riding the boardman hybrid which has a follow me tandem extension so we can hook her up if she gets tired, and or if the roads are a bit too sketchy for her abilities.

Then the plan for Sunday would be for my gf and daughter to get up, have a leisurely breakfast, and then hopefully navigate around the road closures, use a pre-booked 'just park' parking space in a suitable location, and then either sight see, or come and see me finish at the Mall.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18