House central heating

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited May 2019 in The cake stop
Bloody heating system.

I live in a 10yr old rented house. Very good house, extremely well built.

I set the central heating to the lowest possible settings: 16C day and 10C night. Fact is, the indoor temperature is never below 21C.

I spoke with the owner about this in the past, she said "it's because the house is well insulated", which is wrong. Yes, the house IS well insulated, but that's not the reason the temperature is so much higher than what we set. Heating engineer allegedly controlled the system and stated it's fine. At the time I decided not to bother as my language skill were so poor that it was too much hassle (I live in Germany, I spoke very little German at the time). Now I'm also inclined not to bother as we're moving soon.

It's got to be the thermometer/thermostat simply wrongly calibrated.
It sucks.

Similar experience?
Comments?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Pep wrote:
    Bloody heating system.

I set the central heating to the lowest possible settings: 16C day and 10C night. Fact is, the indoor temperature is never below 21C.

I spoke with the owner about this in the past, she said "it's because the house is well insulated", which is wrong. Yes, the house IS well insulated, but that's not the reason the temperature is so much higher than what we set. Heating engineer allegedly controlled the system and stated it's fine. At the time I decided not to bother as my language skill were so poor that it was too much hassle (I live in Germany, I spoke very little German at the time). Now I'm also inclined not to bother as we're moving soon.

It sucks.

Similar experience?
    Comments?

If you know the indoor temp. is never below 21c because you have an independant thermometer and your radiators get hot at anytime there is a problem with the thermostat if it is set as you say.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pep wrote:
    Bloody heating system.
    It sucks.
    Similar experience?
    Comments?
    Why do you want to live with indoor temps of only 16 C and 10 C? Brrr!

In an independent house, you should be able to read (and adjust) on the actual heating appliance/burner to what room temp the heating is supposed to be working. Check this matches what you want.
    I wouldn't rely on any wall-mounted controls/thermostats you might have in your living space or independent ones mounted on radiators, because they can be inaccurate (esp those on radiators). Also if you have an outdoor sensor, and this is badly-placed (so it thinks it is colder outdoors than it really is) this will affect how the heating works.
    In any case, now Spring is here, Summer to come, in a well-insulated house with several people and various lights and other 'warming' items in operation (TV, computer, stove), I doubt you'll ever get down to your preferred Brrr temps. Even without heating, indoors it should rarely be below 20 C.

Why are you asking anyway, if you are soon moving?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Where is the thermostat ? Can you raise the temperature where it is so the heating shuts off ?
    We have a portable thermostat and my wife likes to hide it in the coolest parts of the house...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez. I don't want my house at 20 degrees all year round. That's like a Nana's temperature !
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pep wrote:
    Bloody heating system.
    It sucks.
    Similar experience?
    Comments?
    Why do you want to live with indoor temps of only 16 C and 10 C? Brrr!

In an independent house, you should be able to read (and adjust) on the actual heating appliance/burner to what room temp the heating is supposed to be working. Check this matches what you want.
    I wouldn't rely on any wall-mounted controls/thermostats you might have in your living space or independent ones mounted on radiators, because they can be inaccurate (esp those on radiators). Also if you have an outdoor sensor, and this is badly-placed (so it thinks it is colder outdoors than it really is) this will affect how the heating works.
    In any case, now Spring is here, Summer to come, in a well-insulated house with several people and various lights and other 'warming' items in operation (TV, computer, stove), I doubt you'll ever get down to your preferred Brrr temps. Even without heating, indoors it should rarely be below 20 C.

Why are you asking anyway, if you are soon moving?

I think it is set that low in desperation to get the temperature down, rather than wanting it that low. Agree that a house built to recent German regs could plausibly keep warm from passive heat gain alone, but does sound more like a thermostat not working properly if the heating is still firing up above the temp set on the stat.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    You need to move. Sorted.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    New thermostat or recalibrate it?