Planet x bikes

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited May 2019 in Road general
What are people's views of planet x bikes.recently purchased one with ultegra group set but it doesn't seem to shift gears like it should.
Could be all in my head but it just doesn't slip through the gears..always a rattle of chain or slipping gears...I've re-indexed it myself and although it's slightly better it's still not pleasing me like it should for a new bike
I've read a lot of horror stories about mainly customer service but just wondered about the components they use on their bikes...are they genuine parts?..or maybe aftermarket reject parts.
TIA
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    they are original parts and nothing wrong with them. they wouldn't be in business otherwise.

bear in mnd that ultegra is a bit bland, so don't believe all the hype over it.
    what did you buy and when?
    have you spoken to them?

#don'tbeaclubbie
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    What are people's views of planet x bikes.recently purchased one with ultegra group set but it doesn't seem to shift gears like it should.
    Could be all in my head but it just doesn't slip through the gears..always a rattle of chain or slipping gears...I've re-indexed it myself and although it's slightly better it's still not pleasing me like it should for a new bike
    I've read a lot of horror stories about mainly customer service but just wondered about the components they use on their bikes...are they genuine parts?..or maybe aftermarket reject parts.
    TIA

They will be genuine parts initially, but that doesn't mean if you purchased second hand it doesn't have duff gear on. I haven't heard of fake shimano chainsets for example.

Did you get the bike new? If so, take it back, probably just adjustment.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    I really am struggling with MF's constant referral to Ultegra being bland. I have Ultegra, when I want to change up I push the lever, when I want to change down I push the other lever.

Subsequently the gears go into their requested position with no hassle.

Is this bland or efficient?

What does Mathew want them to do each time I push a lever, sing a song, tell me a tale from the Welsh Mabinogi stories or send an imaginary hand from the STI to massage my member?

So again to use a Mathewism

#isitblandorjustdoingwhatitssupposedtobedoing?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How and why would they select reject parts ?
    Shimano probably don't even have a fraction of a percentage of rejects.

It's either in your head or its your technique.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    One possibility is that, in transit or whatever, the rear hanger has become out of line. There’s a special tool to check this ( which must be done with the rear wheel in, as doing up the quick release usually alters the angle of the hanger), that’s not hugely expensive, but otherwise a decent bike shop would probably check it for a smallish charge.
    This is, in my experience, the first go-to check if gears are playing up. Interestingly, I’ve had very few brand new frames that don’t need a tweak .
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    "All our bikes are built with aftermarket reject parts" - I'm having trouble locating that statement on the PX website...
  • "Ultegra is a bit bland"

My god, the crap that some people spout on here sometimes.
  • Matthewfalle
    I really am struggling with MF's constant referral to Ultegra being bland. I have Ultegra, when I want to change up I push the lever, when I want to change down I push the other lever.

What does Mathew want them to do each time I push a lever, sing a song, tell me a tale from the Welsh Mabinogi stories or send an imaginary hand from the STI to massage my member?

use a quality groupset - Force, Red, Record, Super Record, and you'll see the difference.

ultegra is marshmallow vanilla. bland. doesn't make satisfying clicks and clunks and snicks and snacks. doesn't make you smile. doesn't make you get on your bike at the end of a hard day and go "yeah, this is worth all the rubbish i put up with".

when you crash and smash it up you don't care. its ultegra. you just go to Merlin and order some more.

if you are happy to he satisfied with mediocrity then fill your boots but give the MFs something nice anytime.

#blandola

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

#mediocre

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Probably 5 or something years of riding my PX bike without issues from day one. Only issues were due to incompetent bike mechanic used to fettle a few issues. He left out in a potentially dangerous condition I think but cannot prove. It resulted in an accident that ripped my back wheel out, damaging a few things from chain, derailleur, hanger to large chainring.that got fixed elsewhere and everything is fine and dandy again.

They're a decent enough company. Customer service is patchy but only ime because you can have difficulty getting through to someone as they're very busy in the call centre offices where your call goes to.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

This. Ultegra is a high quality expensive groupset. It should, and will, shift perfectly.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Matthewfalle
    CarbonClem wrote:
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

This. Ultegra is a high quality expensive groupset. It should, and will, shift perfectly.

high quality. expensive.

oh my dizzy word. its neither of the above.

#shakeshead

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Got five or six years on my Planet X Stealth, still going strong. Customer service was good (back then) as I wanted to switch a few of the parts for different spec from their site. Did so over the phone and they sorted a good price. Bike delivered in about a week.

Maybe you're new cables are stretching and throwing the indexing out?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904

DFTT!!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    CarbonClem wrote:
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

high quality. expensive.

#shakeshead

I guess you are either doing your funny troll thing, or putting people down?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Matthewfalle
    errr - no.

its not expensive. Red is expensive. Chorus is expensive. eTap is expensive. c.£500 for a whole groupset at Merlin is not expensive.

its not high quality. its nicely made but you don't look at it like a Campy mech and go "ooooooh - thats nice!". its mass produced by the gazillion.

and no - not putting anyone down i have 8000 on my S3 so know exactly what its like.

#don'tgetupset
    #incorrectuseoftrolling
    #mediocre

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

high quality. expensive.

#shakeshead

I used to find his 'look at me, I'm being a dick' thing funny but now it's just getting so boring, or bland, if you will.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I kinda see where MF is coming from, Ultegra (and 105 for that matter) is nothing flashy but it does just work.
    Not a Campy man but the SRAM groupsets (have both Red and Force mechanical) definitely have a more satisfying clunk to them, the front derailleur is much better and I personally prefer the doubletap shifting. Not to mention that with a BB30 set up they are a fair bit lighter.

In the end of the day most people want something that just works, my current winter steed has 105 and it's great.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    It's a bit like comparing the "blandness" of a modern day automatic car which justs shifts up and down with no drama or the early autos that lurched and surged up and down the gearbox.

I know which one I would prefer and that's why I drive the former.
  • Matthewfalle
    errrr - no. its utterly different. you are saying compare a 2019 groupset with a 1989 groupset. totes different.

its like comparing a Mondeo with a Maserati.

#totesdifferent
    #bland

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    errr - no.

its not expensive. Red is expensive. Chorus is expensive. eTap is expensive. c.£500 for a whole groupset at Merlin is not expensive.

eTap rear mech - more than an Ultegra groupset :lol:

Anyway on topic, I've had two bike from them, first the rear brake boss failed. It took a hit from something which damaged the carbon so nothing I can blame them fore.
    Second is quite possibly bomb proof and lovely.

If yours isnt shifting as expected I would imagine as mentioned it will be cable stretch which is totally normal on new cables.
    Parts wise I have bought a few bits in the past an they have all been pristine new. They do seem to come up with some good deals too remember picking up a set of black stanchion'd rockshox Rev's for way less than they should have been. More recently the tyre deals they keep popping out are not bad.

I would suspect the bike was build a couple of weeks before it made its way to you, they tend to do this on popular models. just needs tweaking nothing more.
  • Matthewfalle
    joey54321 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    "Ultegra is a bit bland"

high quality. expensive.

#shakeshead

I used to find his 'look at me, I'm being a dick' thing funny but now it's just getting so boring, or bland, if you will.

joey

just because you like it doesn't mean everyone has to. or is no one allowed an opinion based on the fact they own the stuff?

#retailchoice

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

He just trolls for a bite, which is a shame, as once in a blue moon he comes up with some useful advice. Sadly it's much less than the rubbish he puts out about Shimano, tubeless etc. Learn to ignore him.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I kinda see where MF is coming from, Ultegra (and 105 for that matter) is nothing flashy but it does just work.
    Not a Campy man but the SRAM groupsets (have both Red and Force mechanical) definitely have a more satisfying clunk to them, the front derailleur is much better and I personally prefer the doubletap shifting. Not to mention that with a BB30 set up they are a fair bit lighter.

In the end of the day most people want something that just works, my current winter steed has 105 and it's great.

I've had SRAM, Red 10 speed, Force 10 & 11 speed, Rival 10 & 11 Speed. Whilst double tap is intuitive, SRAM shifting isn't a patch on Shimano. Yes SRAM is lightweight in comparison. Shimano is cheaper in comparison though probably due to the number of units they sell in comparison to SRAM. All this crap about Shimano being the cheap and cheerful groupset is typical MF trolling.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    errrr - no. its utterly different. you are saying compare a 2019 groupset with a 1989 groupset. totes different.

its like comparing a Mondeo with a Maserati.

#totesdifferent
    #bland

I know which one I'd prefer - at least with a Mondeo you can get in it and drive away, unlike the Maserati where you have to phone up the garage first to see if they have finished fixing it for the n'th time this year :lol::lol::lol:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

I've had SRAM, Red 10 speed, Force 10 & 11 speed, Rival 10 & 11 Speed. Whilst double tap is intuitive, SRAM shifting isn't a patch on Shimano. Yes SRAM is lightweight in comparison. Shimano is cheaper in comparison though probably due to the number of units they sell in comparison to SRAM. All this crap about Shimano being the cheap and cheerful groupset is typical MF trolling.

errr - it is cheaper. that is undeniable. a whole groupset for c.£500 is cheap.

and no - its not troling. its stating an opinion about something i own. you are trolling with ypur post above.

#fact
    #marketeconomics

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Cheap and expensive are not absolute terms so to describe Ultegra as "cheap" is clearly just a misguided opinion.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They're a decent enough company. Customer service is patchy but only ime because you can have difficulty getting through to someone as they're very busy in the call centre offices where your call goes to.

That "call centre"being either one of the blokes on the sales counter(s) or the bloke in the office :lol::wink:

What I find frustrating about PX is that if I call in for summat and it's "in the warehouse"(ie round the back) I have to go home and order online for in store pick up :roll: wasn't a problem when my mate worked there as I used to text him and he'd sort it.That said I've not been in there for months so the phone ordering system may well be back up and running.

Any road up I've had a couple of PX bikes and though a bit meh there's nowt particularly wrong with them.They buy brands such as Viner/SAB/Holdsworth then basically stick the decals on a PX frame.The Viner Mitus ,for example was the same frame as a PX RT80.They also buy licences to brand names,my son's Battalglin is an example.

RE parts.
    PX buy loads in bulk.Sometimes they get a deal on SRAM sometimes Shimano.My RT58 should have come with SRAM but ended up with Ultegra as at that time all the SRAM stock bikes had been built and sold and the next batch were all Ultegra.I could have waited but I wanted the bike then.
    We had a choice on my sons Batteglin and went with SRAM as they had one built to collect straight away.
  • Matthewfalle
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Cheap and expensive are not absolute terms so to describe Ultegra as "cheap" is clearly just a misguided opinion.

ultegra front mech £30
    etap front mech £299.99

#ultegraischeap

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Navrig2 wrote:

ultegra front mech £30
    etap front mech £299.99

#ultegraischeap

Probably a better way to look at it
    front mech only

ultegra R8000 £35.99
    Di2 Ultegra 6870 £119.99
    SRAM Red £64.45
    etap front mech £299.99
    Campag Super Record £127.99
    Campag Record EPS £229.99

Horses for courses. Shimano arguably shift a greater volume of component which will drive down cost Campag you do pay campytax. SRAM just seems expensive? I don't know enough about the supply etc to fully comment just going off what I can see from the above and knowledge on the three brands.