Giro 2019, Stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 7: Vasto - L'Aquila 185 km

Friday, May 17th

START TIME: 12.25 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Stage 7 in the Giro d'Italia sets off in Vasto and following a race of 185 kilometres on flat to hilly roads the finish is in L'Aquila. The finale is something to look forward to.
The route of stage 7 crosses Abruzzo, a region with four natural parks. The highest peaks of the Apennines are located in the massive of Gran Sasso and Majella.

CQJM4Px.jpg?1

The route won’t go very high, with the highest point at an elevation of 890 metres. The stage has a hilly profile. The route starts beside the sea, all the way to Ortona, and then follows the constant undulations of the hinterland (taking in climbs up Ripa Teatina and Chieti). Svolte di Popoli, before the plateau leading to L’Aquila, is the only categorised climb. After the GPM, straight roads with a mild incline will lead all the way to L’Aquila, crossing the areas affected by the April 2009 earthquake.

G19_T07_Aquila_alt.jpg

The toughest climb of the day in Popoli – after around 130 kilometres in the saddle. Le Svolte di Popoli climbs 7.5 kilometres at an average gradient of 6.6%.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-7-climb-a010c93de0.jpg

Following the passage over the top – still 42 kilometres to go – one would expect a descent, but that’s not the case. The route continues false flat for 20 kilometres before a downhill ushers in a promising finale in the streets of L’Aquila.
With 8.5 kilometres to go the riders crest a punchy climb on the Via Poveriera. A rolling section and a flying descent take them to the final ramp that already hosted the finish in 2005 and in 2010. The last kilometre slopes at 7.6% and peaks at 11%.

G19_T07_Aquila_ukm.jpg

Final kilometres:
The route heads down towards the castle, twisting and winding its way through the city until the final descent (partly within the centre), which ends with a sharp right-hand turn 2 km from the finish. With 1,500 m to go, the road goes up again.

G19_T07_Aquila_ARR.jpg

Favourites 7th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia

Pleased to have Conti up there, on stage 6, but after what happened, stage 7 is anybody's guess.

VASTO

Vasto is one of the most fascinating town of Abruzzo, on the Adriatic Sea with its characteristic gulf and protected by the Apennine peaks, beautiful in its uniqueness. Full of history, art, culture and lined with splendid beaches, the city of Vasto offers visitors, in addition to rest and relaxation at the sea, many cultural initiatives.
he coast of Vasto stretches for over 17 Km, with beaches of different types: from the fine and golden sand of Vasto Marina and Punta Penna, to that of pebbles and rocks of Mottagrossa and San Nicola. In the nature reserve of Punta Aderci, instead, which covers about 285 hectares, there are many varieties of plants and flowers. An experience not to be missed is to walk along the path that leads to the characteristic promontory from where you can see all the open and crystalline sea. The historical center of Vasto is rich of monuments and historical buildings like the imposing Palazzo D’Avalos, home of the Civic Museum, the Archaeological Museum, the Costume Museum and the exhibition dedicated to the Palizzi brothers, the elegant Neapolitan gardens; the Roman Baths, FAI good and dating back to the 2nd century AD .; the Caldoresco Castle, a 1427 fortress that stands on Piazza Garibaldi; the statue of the poet Gabriele Rossetti who stands in the center of the homonymous square. From Via Adriatica and the Amblingh Lodge, it is possible to admire the beautiful panorama and the golden gulf. The longest cycling road is coming to be inaugurated soon and it is going to be 150 Km long the Adriatic coast.

Vasto2.jpg

GASTRONOMY

Vasto is also famous for its delicious cuisine of land and especially the seafood: typical dishes such as the Brodetto can be tasted in the numerous restaurants along the seafront and in the historical center.

5872969.jpg

L'AQUILA

HISTORY

Inhabitants: 70.225 to 1/1/2019

Origins: sabino-vestineAncient

Name: Acquilis or Acculi or also Acculae, due to the abundance of water sources

L’Aquila, capital city of Abruzzo, is the ninth largest municipality in Italy, with 467 km² of surface area for 70 thousand inhabitants. The city, located within the Aterno river valley, at 721 meters above sea level, is surrounded by the Sirente – Velino (Regional Park) and Gran Sasso d’Italia (National Park) chains. Founded in 1254 by the surrounding castles, it is divided into four quarters: S. Maria, S. Pietro, S. Giorgio and San Giovanni. Despite the earthquakes of 1461, 1703 and 2009, L’Aquila boasts a centuries-old historical heritage, with medieval elements in the City Walls, Renaissance with regard to the palaces and some churches, baroque and neoclassical.
The city is known for the characters of Bernardino da Siena and Pietro da Morrone (Pope Celestino V), buried respectively in the Basilica of San Bernardino and in the Basilica of Santa Maria di Collemaggio, also known as the Basilica of the Porta Santa during the Celestinian Perdonanza. The latter is considered the masterpiece of the Abruzzi gothic, as well as the symbol of the city. Among the other monuments to visit the Fountain of the 99 cinnamon, the city walls with the access doors, the eighteenth-century palaces of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the Piazza Duomo and, finally, the Spanish Fort symbol of the Spanish sixteenth century domination. Among the works created after the 2009 earthquake stand out the Auditiorum del Castello, designed by the architect Renzo Piano and the Amphisculpture of Beverly Pepper, a land art work created at the Parco del Sole by the American artist.

b7b7f30a69723175455d5a1f76981526_XL.jpg

GASTRONOMY

Typical first courses are “maccheroni alla chitarra”, usually served with castrato sauce, and “timballo all’aquilana”, prepared with pork and veal with hard-boiled eggs and scamorza. Chickpea soups with chestnuts and beans with pork rind are also widely used. Characteristic is the taste of the lamb and that of the arrosticini. The pork is used to prepare cured meats, including salami and liver sausages. From sheep’s milk, cheese, ricotta and scamorze are made. Excellent bread, both white and integral. Torrone of soft chocolate is the typical sweet. Saffron is the spice grown on site and Gentian is the typical liqueur.

timballo-scrippelle.jpg

WINE (at last!)

The four regional names, also present in the province of L’Aquila are: Abruzzo D.O.C., Montepulciano d’Abruzzo D.O.C., Trebbiano d’Abruzzo D.O.C. and Cerasuolo D.O.C. The wines of Abruzzo D.O.C. they are produced starting from Trebbiano Abruzzese, Trebbiano Toscano, Montepulciano, long white Malvasia, white Moscato, Passerina, Pecorino, Italic Riesling, Sauvignon, aromatic Traminer, Chardonnay, Cococciola, Montonico, Pinot Nero.

Codice-Citra-Ferzo-Montepulciano-D%E2%80%99Abruzzo-DOP-2016.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Great looking stage, not sure what the weather is going to be, as that may become a factor.
    I think the GC guys will fancy that last 2km, it will give a good opportunity to take some time without the burden of the leaders jersey.
    I can see Simon Yates having a dig at this.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    So Di Luca for the stage, ja?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Looks like a great finish - and matching the aerial photo to the map makes it even more mouthwatering.

Thanks for another excellent preview.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    So Di Luca for the stage, ja?

Would have been a good route for the Killer so far. Though Gibo will be looking forward to the final week and praying the Gavia is open.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Bun fight to form a breakaway 40k in
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Stages like this are a pain to control.
  • blazing_saddles
    Flying along at 54kph so far, but in sunshine!
  • Bet some of the more fatigued riders in the peloton are going 'Oh FFS just let the bloody break go'
  • kingstongraham
    50km in the first hour.
  • kingstongraham
    Really hard for everyone so far, no break is being let go. At this rate, they'll still be going hell for leather at the feed zone
  • blazing_saddles
    Gaviria's contribution to the team support of Conti is to abandon the race.
  • mididoctors
    Did UAE get a man in the break?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Bahrain chasing hard
  • mididoctors
    Big break 50 odd seconds movistar Scott EF loads of lotto riders
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    De Plus decides less is more and climbs off.
  • blazing_saddles

That's a big hit for Roglic, with Gesink already missing.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2019
    Lots of GC teams trying to get in the break or cover teams that try
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Suggestions he was ill yesterday, apparently. Hopefully nothing catching.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Blimey that isolates him even more, at least the other GC contenders have to work to get back the time too.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Bahrain rode hard to ensure de Plus abandoned.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctors
    UAE are not managing the situation
  • mididoctors
    Settled down UAE on the front . Big lead group pulling out advantage slowly
  • blazing_saddles
    Switched from the informative Hatch on UKES when they were on ad break to ESCZ, only to have Kirby in fits of giggles over a church window. :(
  • rick_chasey
    Group 1

BIB RIDER TEAM GC
    6 PEDRERO Antonio MOV +22:03
    7 ROJAS José Joaquín MOV +2:12
    11 GALLOPIN Tony ALM +6:42
    23 CATTANEO Mattia ANS +7:14
    32 BILBAO Pello AST +6:40
    38 ZEITS Andrey AST +13:04
    64 FORMOLO Davide BOH +6:30
    65 MCCARTHY Jay BOH +8:26
    116 PLAZA Rubén ICA +8:42
    124 DE GENDT Thomas LTS +21:46
    136 HAMILTON Lucas MTS +10:03
    164 HENAO Sebastián INS +12:30
  • mididoctors
    Plaza and Rojas again. McCarthy and formolo are interesting too. Rojas is a bit of a anchor as far as UAE are concerned
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Sky/Ineos in a first week GT breakaway has to be one of the rarest sightings in cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    is this stage worth watching then?
  • rick_chasey
    Has calmed down now.
  • is this stage worth watching then?

Yes it's a good one - though things have calmed down forthe moment. But they'll hit the main climb in about 15K and then the last 40k could be very interesting indeed.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    That last road yesterday and this one are lovely. Must be like having one extra gear on