London Dynamo Richmond Park TTs - 2019

pinkbikini
pinkbikini Posts: 876
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Just a quick heads-up that these popular London Dynamo events are on again this year. 120 rider places for each event in one of the most picturesque TT settings in the London region. Prizes available for the speed-demons.

They’ll take place on:

RPTT1 - Sunday 16th June
RPTT2 - Sunday 30th June

Both events will have assigned start times between 6am and 7am. Men's and Women's TT and Road categories, Junior Male and Female categories which allow use of any bike, and a general Para category.

Entries will be opening on RiderHQ four weeks prior to each event. I’ll post a reminder here a few days before each event opens with a specific link.

Hope to see you at one or both events!

Cheers, Nick

Comments

• pinkbikini
    Entries open for the RPTT1 (the first event) on Thursday 16th May at 12:30 - link below:

https://www.riderhq.com/events/85301/london-dynamo-rptt-1-1/enter
  • frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157
    Looks good :) I may sign up tot this, is it clockwise? Can't quite figure it out from the pic
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Anti-clockwise until u turn at kingston gate. Start near Robin Hood gate, finish at pen ponds car park.
  • frogonabike
    Ahhh I see, so avoid the hill as well!
  • frogonabike
    'tis done! Entered the road category. Should be a laugh :) (on a cross bike)
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

You have the false flat leading up to Sawyers, then Sawyer's lump, (normally into a headwind), then after you've gone round Kingston gate roundabout, you have the long drag back up to Richmond gate. You may avoid broomfield and Dark Hill (I think), but you'll still feel it at full gas. :)
  • frogonabike
    hopkinb wrote:

You have the false flat leading up to Sawyers, then Sawyer's lump, (normally into a headwind), then after you've gone round Kingston gate roundabout, you have the long drag back up to Richmond gate. You may avoid broomfield and Dark Hill (I think), but you'll still feel it at full gas. :)

Yeah true, that back straight is a bit of a sod into the wind - although I'm sure I'll feel every bit of it after I get too excited out the blocks anyways :lol:
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    'tis done! Entered the road category. Should be a laugh :) (on a cross bike)

I've got an entry. Woo.
  • inbike
    Should be a lot faster than last year* thanks to the resurfacing. That uphill drag on the return being one good example.

*Unless you've become fat and slow, as I have.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm in. Need to beat the 25 minute mark this year.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Just need to work out whether I can race and then get back home in time to drive Junior to Stratford for the London Youth Games...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • hopkinb
    Bl00dy hell, that sold out quickly. I had just decided to have a bash at it to see if I could come "not last", just like I managed to come "not last" in TGOTB's CX race, where I even managed to finish a couple of places higher than I started (and not just due to dnf's).
  • tgotb
    Doesn't seem to be sold out (unless they have quotas for each category) - I just entered, after reading your post.

Let's hope we don't have get same conditions as the KW CX race; I put a lot of effort into getting that weather laid on, and I think the event was better for it, but I really don't want to have to drag my TT bike down to Pen Ponds to clean it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • hopkinb
    You're quite right - it's working again now - it definitely wasn't before. Here goes nothing, better get some training in. Like frogonabike, I'll be on a cx bike - albeit a roadified one. Might see if I beg a deeper rear wheel and find a cheap skinsuit. :lol:
  • pinkbikini
    Not sold out, around 40 places left for any category (no quotas). Waitlist worth it when sold out too - we always have some movement with riders dropping out days before the event.
  • inbike
    hopkinb wrote:
    You're quite right - it's working again now - it definitely wasn't before. Here goes nothing, better get some training in. Like frogonabike, I'll be on a cx bike - albeit a roadified one. Might see if I beg a deeper rear wheel and find a cheap skinsuit. :lol:

There's a max depth for the road category, unless the rules have changed.

No tri bars or aero lid either.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    inbike wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Aero lids allowed I think, just not TT lids - presume they ban covered ears and probably visors.
  • hopkinb
    inbike wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Is 50mm OK? That's what is on the bike.

I would fall off with tri bars, and my lid is not aero.

Edit: Googled the rules - 50mm is OK
  • frogonabike
    Does the SCR FCN calculator apply to TT's?

Cross bike with 1x and 30mm wheels must be worth something... I should probably take the mudguards back off and might wear the skinsuit so maybe I'm not too far off a normal roadie
  • hopkinb
    Thought I would set myself a marker on the way home. Averaged ~36kph for the route, having to brake/slow down/sit up for cars a couple of times. Also had something left in the tank, and I understand you should fall off the bike at the end of a TT. Hopefully with a bit of training i can achieve my aim of "not last".
  • inbike
    edited May 2019
    I did about 36kph for the actual event last year and was nowhere near the bottom of the table.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Did it about 5 years ago on my 1980s bike (a good 1980s bike, with Corsa CX tubulars). Wasn't last, but not far off... seem to recall I did 29 minutes, which is probably 3 minutes slower than my "best time" on a flatter 10 mile course.
    A friend of mine got timed wrong and finished by mistake in the top 3 for normal bikes :-)

It's a great course, but no cake!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    Did it about 5 years ago on my 1980s bike (a good 1980s bike, with Corsa CX tubulars). Wasn't last, but not far off... seem to recall I did 29 minutes, which is probably 3 minutes slower than my "best time" on a flatter 10 mile course.
    A friend of mine got timed wrong and finished by mistake in the top 3 for normal bikes :-)

It's a great course, but no cake!!
    Aswell as not being flat, it's longer than 10 miles, I think 10.4. That's intentional apparently; they wanted it to stand as its own course rather than being adversely compared to fast 10 courses, which the sporting ones inevitably are.

I'm really looking forward to it this year; it's a really fun course to race if you're fit (which I sort-of am for the first time in a while). When lacking fitness the hills can feel a bit of a slog.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    hopkinb wrote:

Been a tasty tailwind up Sawyers this week, mind you having to pedal on the way back down is a bit unwelcome...

I'm in and just hoping to not finish last.
  • frogonabike
    I went for a little test spin of the route last night as well. Knackered legs from last weekend still so didn't really go for a fast one, more to check out the clockwise route as I've only done it once or twice. Heading North on the East side is indeed a proper drag! Must remember to save something for that stretch! :shock:
  • tgotb
    I went for a little test spin of the route last night as well. Knackered legs from last weekend still so didn't really go for a fast one, more to check out the clockwise route as I've only done it once or twice. Heading North on the East side is indeed a proper drag! Must remember to save something for that stretch! :shock:
    Do you mean the bit on the West side (ie from Kingston to Richmond gates)? The bit that heads North on the East side is the very first leg, from Robin Hood to Roehampton Gate.

If you haven't raced the course before, you may find the drag from Robin Hood Gate to the finish harder than you expected. No point saving anything for it though.

Don't go the wrong side of any of the mini roundabouts; you'll get penalised. Take it easy at Richmond Gate if it's wet; Spartacus isn't the only rider to have come off there. Try to thank a few of the marshals as you pass them; it's a pretty uncivilised time to be standing by the side of the road in a high-vis jacket...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    As far as I remember, this was the route, give or take a few meters

https://www.strava.com/routes/18945947
    left the forum March 2023
  • frogonabike
    TGOTB wrote:
    Do you mean the bit on the West side (ie from Kingston to Richmond gates)? The bit that heads North on the East side is the very first leg, from Robin Hood to Roehampton Gate.

If you haven't raced the course before, you may find the drag from Robin Hood Gate to the finish harder than you expected. No point saving anything for it though.

Don't go the wrong side of any of the mini roundabouts; you'll get penalised. Take it easy at Richmond Gate if it's wet; Spartacus isn't the only rider to have come off there. Try to thank a few of the marshals as you pass them; it's a pretty uncivilised time to be standing by the side of the road in a high-vis jacket...

Ah yes that's what I meant, got me Easts and Wests mixed up! I was wondering that about the roundabouts, the right handers are a bit awkward.. guessed it would be a no no

Always thank the marshals :D
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    TGOTB wrote:

Don't go the wrong side of any of the mini roundabouts; you'll get penalised.

Presumably cutting the corner over the cobbles at Richmond gate roundabout is allowed though?
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Don't go the wrong side of any of the mini roundabouts; you'll get penalised.

Presumably cutting the corner over the cobbles at Richmond gate roundabout is allowed though?

Would there be much point? I'd have thought that's slower. You can take that turn pretty wide at that time in the morning with no traffic too.