blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni Rotondo 238 km ***

Thursday, May 16th

START TIME: 11.20 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Route stage 6:

The 6th stage of the Giro d'Italia travels on rolling to hilly terrain from Cassino to San Giovanni Rotondo. At 238 kilometres, the route is likely to lead to a day for the breakaway or a sprint of a selected peloton. The first 190 km take place on straight and broad fast roads, with a few tunnels along the way, but with no major climbs. The route then changes dramatically: the roads are narrower, and worn out at points.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_plan_jpg-2.jpg

The Giro visited Cassino in 2014. A crash in the town shook up the peloton just before hitting the final climb to Montecassino, the Benedictine Abbey on a rock plateau above Cassino. Michael Matthews, Tim Wellens, Cadel Evans and Matteo Rabottini survived the 8.6 kilometres ascent before crossing the line in that order.

Cassino is included in the 2019 Giro d’Italia as a start.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_alt_jpg-1.jpg

Although the route is hardly ever flat, it doesn’t feature any hard climbs either. A descending false flat of 50 kilometres runs to the foot of the biggest challenge of the day. The Coppa Casarinelle climb appears at kilometre 205. The route ascents 15 kilometres at 4.4%

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-6-climb-n3-48ff6cf0c4.jpg

Downhill leads to the second intermediate sprint of the day, which is directly followed by another uphill kick – albeit a short one.
The last kilometres of the race are going either false flat up or false flat down. Following a short lap in San Giovanni Rotondo the final kilometre slopes at approximately 3%.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_ARR_jpg.jpg

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_ukm_jpg.jpg

Some Random Favourites 6th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Thomas De Gendt, Valerio Conti
** Jan Bakelants, Gianluca Brambilla, Enrico Battaglin
* Jan Polanc, Luke Durbridge, Tanel Kangert, Victor Campenaerts

CASSINO

Cassino is a town in the province of Frosinone, central Italy, at the southern end of the region of Lazio, the last City of the Latin Valley. Cassino is located at the foot of Monte Cairo near the confluence of the Gari and Liri rivers. The city is best known as the site of the Abbey of Montecassino and the Battle of Monte Cassino during World War II, which resulted in huge Allied and German casualties as well as the near total destruction of the town itself. It is also home to the University of Cassino.

Then and now.
Monte%20Cassino%203-min.jpg

SAN GIOVANNI ROTONDO

San Giovanni Rotondo is located on the slopes of Calvo Mountain, the highest summit in the promontory, in a valley in the centre of Gargano, at an altitude of 600 metres, 20 km away from Monte Sant’Angelo and 30 km away from Foggia. The small village, in the heart of Gargano National Park,
220791522014864_cover_wide.jpg?w=1600&h=900&v=p6626p&s=6af171eee17b0ce7e29593b382fc9e2e
is an important destination for international religious tourism, thanks to the priest Padre Pio from Pietrelcina, who lived and worked here. The most important place of devotion is the crypt of the Convent Santa Maria delle Grazie, which contains his relics and it is a pilgrims’ destination, nowadays kept inside the new complex planned by Renzo Piano.

San%20Giovanni%20Rotondo-header.jpg

GASTRONOMY

The area is covered with olive groves, grape vines and fruit orchards and wherever you go you will see roadside stalls selling local produce. This region produces 50% of the country’s olive oil, and the village of Carpino is even known as “Oil City” on account of the quality of its extra virgin olive oil.

olio-845x321.jpg

The Peninsula is just as famous for its seafood as for its fruit and olives. Much of the fishing is done in the coastal lagoons of Varano and Lesina: as you travel around look out for the trabucchi, traditional wooden fishing machines that are still widely used today. The main attraction of the area is its mussels and clams. But any restaurant will also serve you a meal of freshly caught fish, squid or cuttlefish, or the fish soup that is a speciality of the region.
A simple dish of tuna carpaccio.
Tuna-carpaccio.jpg?w=1000&ssl=1
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• archieboy
    archieboy Posts: 1,297
    Very good work BS.
    Thanks
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    nicely done with the preview. I hope the weather is better tomorrow cause it looks like a corker of a stage
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,535
    Would suggest Ostuni would counter Carpino's claim on being the olive oil city.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 371
    Roglic had a bit of a spill? His erse seems to be hanging out.

https://twitter.com/SadhbhOS/status/112 ... 56864?s=19

Hope he doesn't crack under the pressure :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208

Is he going to have to be like that the whole day? Dumoulin isn't there to advise on the quickest way to get out of bib shorts.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 371

Is he going to have to be like that the whole day? Dumoulin isn't there to advise on the quickest way to get out of bib shorts.

He's probably hoping the peleton cracks on with today's stage so it's over quicker. But then he'll have a night of being the butt of all jokes in the team hotel later on... yeah, sorry.
  • blazing_saddles
    Did he leave any skidmarks on the tarmac?
    More rain and a few more riders climbing off, noticeably another Sunweb rider: Robert Power.
    Also good old Laurens ten Dam.
  • rick_chasey
    My man Oomen in the break with Conti, Peters, Velentin, Rojas, Amador, some androni guy, Bagioli, Conci

Decent climbers in there.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    My man Oomen in the break with Conti, Peters, Velentin, Rojas, Amador, some androni guy, Bagioli, Conci

Pretty serious break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    what i can't tell you is where they all are on GC, as I suspect Jumbo will want them to take pink.
  • mididoctors
    what i can't tell you is where they all are on GC, as I suspect Jumbo will want them to take pink.
    . I wouldn't want to give amador or oooooomen too much time. I think oomen is way down though
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Conti is the best placed on GC @1.59
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097

The 'some Androni guy' is Masnada (my PTP tip today)!
    Also there, as well as those you mention, are Carboni, Plaza, Madouas, and Serry.
    If the break holds, on paper it looks between the latter two, Oomen, Conti, Masnada and the two Movistar.
    Best placed in the GC is Conti (1-59), with 5 others in the 3-4 min range.
  • kingstongraham

This is here to help:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gi ... /situation

BIB RIDER TEAM GC
    2 AMADOR Andrey MOV +4:25
    7 ROJAS José Joaquín MOV +3:33
    16 PETERS Nans ALM +3:07
    26 MASNADA Fausto ANS +5:21
    52 CARBONI Giovanni BRD +2:53
    71 ANTUNES Amaro CCC +3:43
    88 SERRY Pieter DQT +4:26
    106 MADOUAS Valentin GFC +3:20
    116 PLAZA Rubén ICA +10:00
    143 BAGIOLI Nicola NIP +7:29
    196 OOMEN Sam SUN +5:49
    205 CONCI Nicola TFS +5:26
    214 CONTI Valerio UAD +1:59

And https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gi ... virtual-gc

Virtual GC:
    1 ▲26 CONTI Valerio 19:37:03 -
    2 ▲32 CARBONI Giovanni 0:54 -
    3 ▲35 PETERS Nans 1:08 -
    4 ▲36 MADOUAS Valentin 1:21 -
    5 ▲38 ROJAS José Joaquín 1:34 -
    6 ▲38 ANTUNES Amaro 1:44 -
    7 ▲46 AMADOR Andrey 2:26 -
    8 ▲46 SERRY Pieter 2:27 -
    9 ▲55 MASNADA Fausto 3:22 -
    10 ▲57 CONCI Nicola 3:27 -
    11 ▲59 OOMEN Sam 3:50 -
    12 ▼11 ROGLIČ Primož 3:56 -
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    KingstonGraham...those are two datatastic webpages!
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    I don't think it's too clever to allow Oomen and Madouas gain the current breakaway lead at the end of the day.
  • mididoctors
    Movistar doubling up for team GC again.
  • mididoctors
    I don't think it's too clever to allow Oomen and Madouas gain the current breakaway lead at the end of the day.
    I suppose oomen being on a depleted team helps a bit. Certainly can't afford to allow these breaks to keep going. A lot of stages before the mountains.
  • mididoctors
    On an aside Double motoriolo suggested if gavia is snowed in
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    I am watching S4C (BBC Wales) and their Giro coverage which is the race feed. So why cant this programme be on BBC 1/2/4?
  • rick_chasey

Savage.
  • amrushton wrote:
    I am watching S4C (BBC Wales) and their Giro coverage which is the race feed. So why cant this programme be on BBC 1/2/4?

i'd guess because Eurosport own the english-language rights to broadcast in the UK
  • mididoctors

Savage.
    big crowds for that Me thinks
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo riding tempo .no interest from the other teams for the stage
  • kingstongraham
    1000km done
  • rick_chasey
    Jumbo riding tempo .no interest from the other teams for the stage

Made a rod for their own back letting some fairly fast guys up the road.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    that black jersey looks better than the Italian champ jersey (I appreciate the effort to get the national jersey but his version looks awful)
  • kingstongraham

Savage.

I guess they are planning to use the same side both times?
  • blazing_saddles
    Masnada and Conti are away and off the front of the break.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917

Savage.

I guess they are planning to use the same side both times?

Be quite fun if they all had to do a U turn and the bottom and head back up the way they'd just come down. The grupetto would have to descend whilst the goats are climbing :shock: :shock: :D