New bike time

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
After being taken out last night by a learner driver, it seems likely that I will be in need of a new road bike.

Looking at disc brakes only, budget of £1800

I've found these but don't really know enough about them;-

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-cordite-105-r7000-disc-carbon-road-bike-127943.html
or
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-inferno-ultegra-disc-carbon-road-bike-123190.html
or
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-alloy-disc-105-2019-road-bike-EV338188
or
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-carbon-disc-105-2018-road-bike-EV308139

Any other suggestions

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Sorry to hear that gb hope youre not banged up too bad?

I've had the alloy synapse in the past. Very good bike, this was in the days when they had the promax rendr brakes on them which were awful but they seemed to have changed to spyres which is a good move.

The other suggestion I would make is the Pinnacle Arkose which comes in loads of build options if memory serves
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I know that they're probably not as sexy as some brands but I really like my Giant. Mine is about 5 years old now but the new ones have discs and stuff. This one is within your budget and you're pretty likely to find a stockist so you can actually give it a test ride:

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/517/produ ... YsQAvD_BwE
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • gbsahne001
    edited May 2019
    I'm fine just bruised it seems but the bike took a 20 - 22mph impact on a pavement and then a bridge, as I avoided a learner driver who had first pulled out in front of me on a roundabout; which would have been fine as there was a line around the car, that was until she panicked and stopped dead, leaving me nowhere to go, other than to either hit the car or bleed some speed and hit the pavement followed by the bridge.... came very close to going over the bridge, which would have been a 5 or 6m drop, head first.

I might be wrong but I suspect the carbon forks and steerer may need replacing, lh shifter is toast, handlebars are also bent, rear mech bent, wheels also took a significant hit; punctured both. Then there's the energy from the forks into the frame,

The Giant does look nice....

Edit: should have read carbon forks not frame, as this is Al.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    You get details from the driver/instructor?

Ps. Paul's cycles have a 2018 caad12 disc for just under 1200...
  • gbsahne001
    full details were taken at the time and so far he's being OK about it, although he doesn't want to go through insurance.

He was told the original purchase of the Madone and he still wants to deal direct: Leigh day are still there if this doesn't prove to be the case.
  • gbsahne001
    no wonder the front tyre went down quickly.....

1py0ic.jpg

...anyone got a large patch
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You get details from the driver/instructor?

Ps. Paul's cycles have a 2018 caad12 disc for just under 1200...

^^ THIS ^^ you wont regret it
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Glad you're relatively ok. If going disc I'd get proper full hydraulics over cable or hybrid type thing without a doubt.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sheeeeeet. Glad you're ok.

Canyon Inflite?

The Merlin looks nice (looks like a BMC).

Caad 12 wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Do you want mudguard and rack mounts?
  • gbsahne001
    Having spent 10 days away, I collected the bike from a LBS and they've checked the bike out and the only thing they can find wrong is a destroyed wheelset, bent hanger & a scuffed shifter. Forks and frame appear OK, although I may replace the fork, just in case.

Slightly disappointing in some respects, as I was looking for it to be written off and the driver to pay for a new one. Oh well, at least they're being OK about it and have agreed to pay for the wheelset and forks.
  • gbsahne001
    Just got back from the GP, who seems to think I have an ACL injury to the left knee.... not really what I wanted to hear
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    gbsahne wrote:
    Just got back from the GP, who seems to think I have an ACL injury to the left knee.... not really what I wanted to hear

Owch, that's really not good news, as someone who has been suffering with a torn ACL for a long time :( Hope it's not too bad :(

Time to get a MRI scan booked in?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    gbsahne wrote:

Sounds like the bike fared better than you!
  • gbsahne001
    It did, just returned from a series of hospital visits and the conclusion is that my ligaments are fine (good news) but the trauma has resulted in a DVT forming - 3 months of anticoagulant treatment :( and no flying for 6 weeks.
  • wolfsbane2k
    gbsahne wrote:
    It did, just returned from a series of hospital visits and the conclusion is that my ligaments are fine (good news) but the trauma has resulted in a DVT forming - 3 months of anticoagulant treatment :( and no flying for 6 weeks.

Honestly, thank f#ck for that.
    Unless, of course, you had a holiday abroad and flights booked or something.

Glad you've had it looked into further, and that the issue appears to have been identified and can be dealt with.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • gbsahne001
    Absolutely, a cause has been identified and is being treated; at least with this it just means taking medication rather than a graft.

It has meant that I miss 10 days in Oman commissioning a new system and is in all likelihood going to mean no scuba diving in July / August; better than the alternative though.

Leigh Day have also been brought in....
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Glad to hear you're reletively ok and that you're talking to solicitors.
    Yes we all make mistakes at times and bikes can be replaced.
    I would of otherwise given lecture about not to not go through insurance.
    You'll be surprised how much dates you'll get for the personal injury which be a lot more then bike, but don't forget clothing/helmet accessories too that were on you or bike that are also dated.
    Keep receipts for out of pocket expenses and missed earnings Inc sick Fromm r hol leavve from work and claim back
    I had something similar T boned basically minor injuries and dates but 18 months later out of court settlement around £10k most of which for injury. I do have a couple dead teeth though.
  • wolfsbane2k
    How are you doing a month on?
  • gbsahne001
    How are you doing a month on?

All good, thanks, replaced the damaged wheel and just waiting on some cash from the insurance before carrying out any of the other works.

Will be on anti-coagulants for another 7 weeks, which has screwed up holiday plans, as the advice is not to Scuba dive whilst taking them... may have to go and rent / buy a MTB whilst I'm out there and find some trails.