Giro 2019: Stage 5: Frascati - Terracina 140 km *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Not letting the break go.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    what happened to 'ass-savers' in team colours? A reasonable solution to a wet ride imo
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Tom abandons.

arse

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctors
    Neutralising GC on finishing circuit. Time taken on first crossing of finish line
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Neutralising GC on finishing circuit. Time taken on first crossing of finish line

Dislike.
  • mididoctors
    :P

Dislike.
    doesn't feel right does it. The 2second or 3 second rule is better.
  • rick_chasey
    Basically a stressy rest day for GC right?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited May 2019
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Looking a bit wet today

Word of the day on S4C's coverage is 'glaw'. One of the few welsh words I know other than place name elements.

Here's another one for you that they used along with bwrw glaw: ofnadwy, (of-nad-do is the best I can do for you) which means terrible. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles

Dislike.

As you say, ja.

It was a pretty pointless stage before the neutralization, so I went and did a spot of gardening.
    Now it's just a waste of an afternoon.
    No sign of much improvement in the weather in the next week, either. Just some days less miserable than others.
    I fear for the Gavia et al.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Rubbish weather - just let the Sunweb guy/team have a glory day.
  • blazing_saddles
    giphy.gif
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Not been an enjoyable day for anyone so far.
  • kingstongraham
    Neutralisation is the right call, I reckon, having seen that.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Ackerman

Viviani gave up early
  • kingstongraham
    Ackerman from Gaviria - Viviani just didn't have the power to follow them when they went
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks as if Viviani decided not to risk it.
    A complete waste of time that was.
  • mididoctors
    Nervous sprint. No one wanted to go full gas on the run in
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I assume it was the weather, but Viviani got out of the saddle and then sat down just as quickly. Looked like he had nothing when it mattered.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I do like the colour of the maglia ciclamino
  • mididoctors
    Looks as if Viviani decided not to risk it.
    A complete waste of time that was.
    I think his robust style didn't feel that stable
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Nervous sprint. No one wanted to go full gas on the run in

Not surprised. Who was the idiot leading out the sprint who decided to sit up and swerve across the entire front of the pack? Ludicrous riding in the conditions.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Demare lost/couldn't follow his lead-out man* a couple of hundred metres before the line, and Gaviria was still wearing his rain jacket, otherwise the result could have been different.

* whom Underlay called 'the idiot' for going to the wrong side when sitting up; think it was Guarnieri.
  • kingstongraham
    inseine wrote:
    I assume it was the weather, but Viviani got out of the saddle and then sat down just as quickly. Looked like he had nothing when it mattered.

He was right at the very back of the bunch with 3km to go, then got brought up to the front perfectly, all of a sudden had a two man lead out, but when the sprint started properly, there was a gap immediately. Looked like he just didn't have it, my guess was the move to get him around the left hand side of the bunch was more effort than it looked.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i looked at that and thought they were cold and tired. aching legs and lack of interest.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Weather was the most interesting part of the stage. I reckon Viviani just wanted to get straight to the bus for a shower!

Not a fan of backloading so many of the climbing stages to the final week. This feels like the most boring Giro I’ve seen - or not seen as it’s not even worth watching the highlights after work, just the last 10k.
  • blazing_saddles
    sagalout wrote:
    Weather was the most interesting part of the stage. I reckon Viviani just wanted to get straight to the bus for a shower!

Not a fan of backloading so many of the climbing stages to the final week.

Yup, it's a bit ridiculous given all the mountains in this race that we don't get to see one (and only one) until stage 12.
  • rick_chasey
    sagalout wrote:

Yup, it's a bit ridiculous given all the mountains in this race that we don't get to see one (and only one) until stage 12.

if the weather continues we'll be lucky to see many of them.

It's slightly the nature of holding a GT in May. If you want the really dramatic high mountains you need to give the snow as much chance as possible to melt.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sagalout wrote:

if the weather continues we'll be lucky to see many of them.

It's slightly the nature of holding a GT in May. If you want the really dramatic high mountains you need to give the snow as much chance as possible to melt.

I think the snow can look pretty dramatic.