Giro 2019: Stage 5: Frascati - Terracina 140 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 5: Frascati - Terracina 140 km
Wednesday, May 15th

START TIME: 13.55 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

The 5th stage of the Giro d'Italia goes from Frascati to Terracina. Mercifully short at only 140 kilometres, after a series of long stages, the race features two climbs in the first 30 kilometres and another one with 50 kilometres left. The rest of the route is flat.

g7OmEm6.jpg?1
G19_T05_Terracina_alt_jpg-1.jpg

Once the flag is dropped the route climbs 9.4 kilometres to Rocca Priora*. The climb is averaging 4%, but also takes in ramps up to 10%.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-5-climb-08948aa092.jpg

Following the descent it goes back uphill again on the road to Rocca di Papa*. It is a hard climb of approximately 5 kilometres with an average gradient of 7% and maximum ramps of 20%.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-5-climb-n2-997bbf549f.jpg

* While the above profiles show the climbs as catagorized, neither are.

The route continues through the Parco dei Castelli Romani, a Natural Regional Park with two beautiful lakes. The Giro d’Italia penetrates the regio of Lazio. A long descent runs south and after more than 30 kilometres on the flat the last hurdle appears in Sezze Scalo. A 4.3 kilometres ascent at 5% leads to Sezze before the route continues a few more kilometres at a lesser gradient.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-5-climb-n3-673447dc0b.jpg

With around 47 kilometres remaining the riders fly down a descent and the last 40 kilometers are played out on the flat.

Final kilometres.
The final 9.2 km circuit takes place on broad, mostly straight urban roads. There are 3 consecutive bends between 8 and 7 km from the finish. The home stretch (1,500 m) is perfectly straight. The finish line sits on 7.5 m wide tarmac.

G19_T05_Terracina_ARR_jpg.jpg
G19_T05_Terracina_ukm_jpg.jpg

The finish is in Terracina, a town with 45,000 inhabitants. The last Giro arrival was in 2000 and Christian Moreni won the stage in a sprint finish.

Favourites 5th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Elia Viviani, Caleb Ewan, Pascal Ackermann
** Fernando Gaviria, Arnaud Démare, Matteo Moschetti
* Sacha Modolo, Giacomo Nizzolo, Ryan Gibbons

TERRACINA

Slightly more than 100 kilometres from Rome and 120 kms from Naples, Terracina lies on about 15 km of coastline, along the wide gulf marked by the Circeo and Gaeta promontories. The two symbols of Terracina are the sea and the Temple of Jupiter Anxur. The latter was part of the monumental complex of the ancient acropolis, situated on the top of Monte S.Angelo, which affords a breathtaking view of the entire gulf and the Pontine Islands.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Gastronomy wise, I can't find anything specific to the town, but presumably fresh fish would feature heavily. However, the local Cantina Sant'Andrea is worth a visit.

incontro-1-1800x9251.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Terracina lies on about 15 km of coastline, along the wide gulf marked by the Circeo and Gaeta promontories.
    The unending 15 km of coastline is good, just often (at least near Terracina) the beach rather narrow - 40 metres max?

Another thing for which Terracina is well-known is its weekly flea market, supposedly the best anywhere between Rome and Naples (and to which I have been).

While on the high ground just above Terracina, there are longish remnants of Roman roads in amazingly good nick (if you like cobblestones and history).
    Gastronomy wise, I can't find anything specific to the town
    Terracina is nowadays a major Italian strawberry-growing area, the strawberry variety being called favetta (singular), sold as 'Favette (plural) di Terracina'. One can buy them fresh or made into jam. They are softer and sweeter than normal strawberries, also more spherical - thus their name. Favetta is the Italian word for broadbean, but is also loosely used to describe something small and sphere-shaped. So Favette di Terracina roughly means Little Spheres of Terracina.

The strawberry variety was developed 50 years ago in France, and as it requires a warmer climate than normal strawberries, a French producer tried to cultivate them in the Lazio area instead of in France. But after only limited success, the company abandoned the project and also gave up the cultivation patent. Which allowed local farmers to then take over the idea, with much more success.

fragola_favetta_lazio_min-2.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    Thanks for that. I was hoping you might be able to fill in the blank. :)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Nice profile, it’s basically down hill. One for me
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    So big crash 5 k to go then.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Alejandrosdog

Probably and Roglic moves to 15minutes ahead of the next GC contender
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    No feed station?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

My first thought too (and if they negotiate that one they'll go down at 4k instead).
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    No feed station?

It's only a 3hr dash today, hardly time to get your order in...
    Half man, Half bike
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    Sunweb have announced Dumoulin will start today.

I'm not convinced he'll finish today.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027

If you've crashed and hurt your knee I don't think you could ask for a kinder stage than 140km generally downhill. Tomorrow's stage on the other hand...

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Alejandrosdog

If you've crashed and hurt your knee I don't think you could ask for a kinder stage than 140km generally downhill. Tomorrow's stage on the other hand...

I think even i could keep up today. infact, especially today :)
  • rick_chasey
    Not sure Dumoulin will appreciate heading straight up a climb from the gun tbh.

If I was Mitchelton I'd definitely keep the pace high to kill him off good and proper. If Tom gets dropped.
  • mididoctors
    Any news on non starters?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    He is starting ....looked nasty
  • rick_chasey

Kristijan Koren - Bahrain - for doping.
  • kingstongraham

Ay, but if he isn't able to put in more effort than when he finished yesterday, there's not much point. Surely the only value in staying now is if he can be back to his best by Sunday.
  • mididoctors
    Not sure Dumoulin will appreciate heading straight up a climb from the gun tbh.

If I was Mitchelton I'd definitely keep the pace high to kill him off good and proper. If Tom gets dropped.
    nods

I think it will be pacy anyway as the GC teams police who gets in the break
  • mididoctors

. Really . The teams reaction?
  • rick_chasey

. Really . The teams reaction?

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-re ... n-aderlass

No idea. Will find out today I guess.
  • rick_chasey
    Navarro @ Katusha didn't make it yesterday I believe.
  • kingstongraham
    Navarro @ Katusha didn't make it yesterday I believe.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/gir ... tory.shtml

"Bad news for @83Daninavarro who broke his right collarbone as well as 3 ribs. Ribs perforated the lungs and he suffers a lung contusion with a hemothorax with hemoptysis and a pneumothorax at the top and the back of the lung."
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Tom abandons.
  • kingstongraham
    Dumoulin didn't last long. Abandoned.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Looking a bit wet today
  • kingstongraham
    Break looks to have formed.
    Florez, Barbin, Vervaeke, Ciccone, Orsini, Santaromita
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Seasonally cold, wet and raining, an uphill beginning and a pacey start – I would too.
  • kingstongraham
    knedlicky wrote:
    Seasonally cold, wet and raining, an uphill beginning and a pacey start – I would too.

If he couldn't see himself getting back to form by Sunday, there's no point in making it worse. And it looks like a really shitty day.
  • blazing_saddles
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Tom abandons.

Lightweight. :P

Rather a waste having Sam Oomen wander in with the rest, yesterday, too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Hopefully Tom can readjust and come into the TdF fully fit - if he can that race just got a lot harder to win.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Looking a bit wet today

Word of the day on S4C's coverage is 'glaw'. One of the few welsh words I know other than place name elements.