The Vikings are HERE! Be afraid. *possible spoilers* *definite pillaging *

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
edited July 2022 in Pro race
This is just an advanced warning that you're going to need to bow down and pay the Danegeld.

The Danes are coming, and they mean business. There's been a long-standing debate about whether young Danes are just a bit better organised, more tactically astute, if they've already reached their peak in the jnr levels. Valgren last season and double 2nd places in RVV, both with young riders, should lay this one to bed. There were 11 Danish riders i RVV today.

We have world champs at jnr and u23 level, including TTs - which is the prime marker of talent.

We have destroyed Roubaix jnrs multiple times, and took a 1-2 at RVV jnrs today.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Oh, and our women are strong as well.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited April 2019
    Colombia's youth look stronger, don't they?

MvdP looks stronger than everyone put together. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    but not as strong as Italy today.

#forzaitalia
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZNCFlVeSbY

Our first transgender champion ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Colombia's youth look stronger, don't they?

Not on the cobbles!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    I see your Danes and raise you the Dutch.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    You can't say "The Dutch are coming" though, they've been hanging around being a tiny bit mediocre for ever. They've had some of the longest running and most well known teams in the sport.
  • rick_chasey
    You can't say "The Dutch are coming" though, they've been hanging around being a tiny bit mediocre for ever. They've had some of the longest running and most well known teams in the sport.

I guess so. Though between them the Danes have the more recent Tour winner.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I guess so. Though between them the Danes have the more recent Tour winner.

Oh the Danes have always had a few riders, though only really Fuglsang to get excited about since the days of Riis and Rolf.
  • rick_chasey
    A word of caution though; there's always one young rider in Flanders who does a tonne of work and somehow survives for the finale.

You often don't see them do much again...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    A word of caution though; there's always one young rider in Flanders who does a tonne of work and somehow survives for the finale.

You often don't see them do much again...

Oh certainly. The original point was more that traditionally Danish youngsters have been thought to have just been developed early, winning at jnr levels but not having much potential left when they step up to WT. The current crop are making a mark at the pointy end of big races though, and the production line behind them is apparently rolling smoothly. I'm not forecasting once in a generation talent like a Sagan.
  • rick_chasey
    All fair.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Andreas Stokbro takes Flanders u23.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • 4EVE2hkDwoAwgnSRejaDMP-650-80.jpg
    JFKB2RQU95hoeQrXkLWT28-650-80.jpg
    H2UjstcLJNLHfiNfz4Mnq7-650-80.jpg
  • that was a very good ride indeed.
  • I wager he won't win an "important" race next season.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Reinstating the curse of the rainbow jersey, are you? :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • M.R.M. wrote:

It's not so much the curse of the jersey - it's more that I don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

I certainly don't say it with glee, when I saw him go in the breakaway early on in the finale I desperately wanted him to win - even when all the commentators said Trentin had it in the bag, I wanted him or Kung to take it.
  • M.R.M. wrote:

It's not so much the curse of the jersey - it's more that I don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

I certainly don't say it with glee, when I saw him go in the breakaway early on in the finale I desperately wanted him to win - even when all the commentators said Trentin had it in the bag, I wanted him or Kung to take it.

To be fair to the lad, everyone who isn't in the QS wolfpack is likely to struggle to win again next season. Look how hard Fuglsang fought all season long to finally land his win at LBL.
  • rick_chasey
    A legit 2nd in ToF last year tbf. Guy wasn’t a total nobody. He just needs a hard race.

I always think in really wet weather the scandis get a 10% bonus.
  • A legit 2nd in ToF last year tbf. Guy wasn’t a total nobody. He just needs a hard race.

I always think in really wet weather the scandis get a 10% bonus.

Yep, though I wasn't going to bring your comment from back then up ;-) Well, not very much anyway. Maybe just a little bit.

Aside from the West of Norway, Scandi weather isn't much different to British, Dutch or Belgian weather really. NW England Wales, W Scotland and the SW are actually far, far wetter than most of Scandiland.

kEJhdOK.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    I fully understand this but Scandis more often then not do better in wet races.

Might be more to do with where they train but I have not looked into the causation.

I just know if it’s p!ssing I need to remember who the hell comes from there.

One day I will write a “go-to” guide for riders who perform differently to usual in the rain/cold.
  • rick_chasey
    Having said this Jul Jensen was the coldest rider I saw. Teeth properly chattering as he went by. Looked blue.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He, of all the Danes, should be used to rain.
  • Dane of the Day on the Wiggins podcast was excellent this week, although I think my favourite one was Chris Juul Jensen
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    So Fuglsang has been connected to Ferrari in the Danish news.

Lutsenko too.

Edit: authorities have said this is BS, in case anyone stumbles over this.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Lutsenko too.

Yep. Luckily this thread was all about the youngsters coming through, who are hopefully insulated against this stuff a bit.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    Haha yes I just didn’t want to start a new thread.

I do wonder about the timing in light of that big EPO distribution shut down.
  • rick_chasey
    The fact they're being specifically investigated makes me think it's worth paying attention to, even if the link between Astana and Ferrari is hardly new.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Lutsenko too.

Well I for one an shocked that Astana riders might have doped. All my faith in pro cycling has gone.