Fred Whitton 2019

2»

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    My friend managed to pass his entry on to someone else through this forum about 2 weeks before the event. He wasn't able to get his money back, but he did get guaranteed entry for the following year. It might be possible, but you would have to get a move on.
  • Hi, I will be one of the volunteers checking the photo IDs to match them to the entry details so can confirm that you will be refused to ride on your friends entry and that it is too later to transfer the entry. All of the riders documentation is now set in stone and as others have said riding on somebody elses entry will cause us a world of apin in the event of any incident so please don't do it.

Fingers crossed for good weather :D
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Good luck everyone - looks like a cracking day for it. 3% chance of rain (at least here in Ambleside), if not exactly Mediterranean temperatures. Signs up all over the places warning of '2500 cyclists Sunday May 12th" so you know it's imminent.

Enjoy - smash those climbs, be careful on the descents!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They’ve just posted on social media that cyclists without an event number will not be allowed on Hard Knott.
    I can’t see that going down well......
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Did everyone survive? Some stunning views out there...

S9rTtEx.jpg
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Survived
    Great event, loved the enthusiasm of the marshals. Lots of them and really encouraging.
    Also loved the carnival atmosphere complete with music and dancing at the top of one of the climbs

I can imagine those descents being horrible in wet weather though. A couple of times I felt I was just balancing on the front wheel alone
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    diplodicus wrote:
    I can imagine those descents being horrible in wet weather though. A couple of times I felt I was just balancing on the front wheel alone

I read a couple of riders got airlifted to hospital with neck and spinal injuries after crashing on the descent off Wrynose.

I think I was deafened by the sound of cow bells and whistles on the finish line. :lol:
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Hope they're ok. That's a long way round to then have an accident.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Did everyone survive? Some stunning views out there...

S9rTtEx.jpg

That water looks almost too good to be true! Stunning pic
  • @shamrock - I have an almost identical pic. Stunning day and awesome support from the roadside. Not sure if I felt more uncomfortable on the climbs or the descents. Wouldn't want to do either in the wet.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I'm in total agreement - fantastic day, wonderful levels of support and I would be terrified at the thought of doing some of those downhill sections in damp or wet conditions. I took my time and chatted and took some photos - it was a glorious day on the bike but I don't think my body was designed for some of those hills (or maybe I needed a lighter bike/easier gearing than 30 on the cassette...). Managed to ride up all but Hard Knott and Wrynose when the inclines became too much though. Congratulations to all who completed the ride, kudos to all who rode the whole way around and huge thanks to all who volunteered!.