Best low profile saddlebag - black OR black with a bit of fluoro

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking for a nice fitting, compact saddle bag for my Foil.

Ordered a couple of Ortlieb ones, but not what I am looking for.

Am also considering using the second cage for a storage bottle kinda thing (I have one or two at home) and dispensing with the saddle bag altogether.

This is a non exhaustive list (May be some duplicates) I have collated from a few "best buy" web pages which I hope to research over the next couple of weeks:

Silca seat roll premio
Topeak Dyna wedge
Lezyne roll caddy
Lezyne road caddy
Radial cycles porter pro
Scicon compact 430
Blackburn zayante mini pack saddlebag
Scicon elan 210
Fizik 00 saddlebag
Cyckit aeroclam
Speedsleev smuggler carbon
Topeak wedge drybag
Lezyne pod caddy
Altura speed led

I generally always want to ride with:
2 Tubes
Tyre levers
Mini pump
Multi tool
Cleat covers
Snacks of some kind
Phone

I use a 0.35l saddle bag right now, and can cram one tube, two tyre levers and a multitool in there.
Pump, phone, snacks, cleat covers all go in the rear pockets.

The Cyckit looks the most interesting out of the above, but reviews are mixed - only £25, but from NZ, so imagine shipping, duty, admin charges will likely double that.

Anyone have experience of the above, or have other suggestions?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Specialized Micro Wedgie

https://www.specialized.com/pl/en/micro-wedgie/p/116593

Tube (80mm value on it)
    levers
    CO2 can
    CO2 head
    Park tools patch kit
    Small chain breaker
    Sample bottle of chain lube

Pump is a top peak ninja P sits in the seatpost (sneaky like a ninja)
    Main mutitool is a Specialized SWAT one locks in under the bottle cage

So with that youd just need to carry a tube, the cleat covers food and phone, so, phone middle food which ever side is dominant an tube the other.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have the Scicon Elan 210. It is tiny, which is exactly what I wanted, but no way would you get everything on your list in it. I carry a tube, levers, CO2 cartridge, inflator head and that's it pretty much chocka at that point. I have a Bianchi "ride wallet" that I carry in my pocket that has various other bits and bobs - quick link, elastoplast, glueless patches,multi-tool, cable ties and a birzman micro pump. Both packs are very compact, I hate any bulk on me or my bike and it's taken me several iterations to get down to the bare minimum that I am prepared to ride with.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • As an alternative, you could possibly fit https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... cage-mount on the seatpost (for less aero drag, but it will also fit conventional round bars), allowing you to take two fluid bottles plus a bottle containing puncture kit... Or like I did during last summer's heatwave, take three bottles of fluid totalling ~2.75 litres (two 0.75l Camelbak Podiums and an old 1.25l squash bottle).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2019
    Thankyou Step for the Spesh recommendation - I will investigate further!

Thankyou both, I'll take a closer look at the Elan 210 - wouldn;t be looking to get my entire list in it, just 1 tube, multitool and two tyre levers - do you think it would take that?

Thanks NO - alas the bike I am looking to fit this too has a non round seatpost, and nothing remotely round about the handlebar tops!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Castelli xl
    Tight fit, but...
    2 tubes
    2 CO2s
    Lezayne multi tool
    few patches
    spare link

It's got a meshy bit underneath that'll take a mini pump

despite the name, it is low profile and tucks up nicely under the seat
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Speedsleev Ranger is what you want. I have the Ranger S and it's super low profile but only holds one tube.
  • I got a Lezyne Road Caddy recently after I lost (it fell off), my previous SciCon Elan.

I like it- the velcro webbing is far more substantial than the SciCon.

In it I get:

1 tube
    Cpl levers
    1 CO2 can (the trigger goes in my pocket)
    Assorted small bits in the sleeve compartment- instant patches, etc

Can't get much more than that in it, but I don;t want anything more than that under my saddle
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thankyou both, I'll take a closer look at the Elan 210 - wouldn;t be looking to get my entire list in it, just 1 tube, multitool and two tyre levers - do you think it would take that?

I'm pretty sure it would. It's about the same size as a tightly rolled up inner tube and about one and a half times the depth so a typical multi-tool would fit. It's not elastic but there is a bit of give and definitely room for manipulating bits into the gaps. Never had an issue with the velcro but there is no great weight in mine. It's very neat and tucks below the saddle quite nicely.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I have one of these:

s-l500.jpg

Fits in the water bottle cage (obvs :roll:)

In it I have:
    2 Pedro's tyre levers
    2 x Co2 cartridges
    Co2 head adapter
    1 x quick link
    5 assorted Alen keys.
    1 tube
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daniel_b
    Thanks all, a furious afternoon of reading reviews, watching youtube videos and checking suggestions on here has occurred.

In the end, I have decided to order two items, but may send one or more back, though I have high hopes for the Topeak.

This is what I have ordered:

Elan 210
    Elan-Fluo-Green.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

Topeak cagepack:
    TPK-TC2298B.jpg
    Which unfurls to reveal..........
    TPK-TC2298B_1.jpg

I'll be sure to bore you with my findings in due course.

This is what I currently have, and will continue to use in some capacity (0.35l) on a bike, but sadly they don't make it anymore :?
    Fits rock solid on Fizik and Synchros saddles ime.
    71n7LKzKYgL._SL1348_.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    I just keep use a bottle with 2 tubes(60mm valves to cover all bases), lezyne rap20 tool with patches, tyre boots and 10 and 11spd kmc links stuffed in the multitool sheath(i swap the bottle between summer and winter bike)

Axiom blastair mini pump rolled in my endura pro sl waterproof in my middle pocked with a gel(that must be 5 years old!) pushed down the side, 3 sainsburys indiviually wrapped flapjack slices and house key in left pocket, phone in right pocket.
  • daniel_b
    The 210, despite looking yellow\lime\fluro to me in that pic, is actually Apple green, so it's gone back.

Liking the Topeak one, so that's a keeper.

Have also ordered the Lezyne Road Caddy:
    Lezyne-Road-Caddy-Saddle-Bags-Black-AW14-L-1-SB-RDCADDY-V104-3.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

And not small in anyway, but a good option when I want to take clothes and oodles of food is this Topeak Mondo:
    Topeak-Mondo-Pack-Internal-Black-NotSet-TC2285B.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Having used the Road Caddy for a while now, I can confirm it's much better than my old 210. Rock solid- doesn't work loose like my old 210 did.
  • daniel_b
    Having used the Road Caddy for a while now, I can confirm it's much better than my old 210. Rock solid- doesn't work loose like my old 210 did.

Thanks Pippi, not had a chance to even look at it yet, but that bodes well :D

Used the Topeak cagepack thing for the first itme on Sunday - so just took the one bottle of water, but was only a ride of 25 miles or so, at variable pace.

Really happy with it, went sans saddlebag, and put in it:
    House key
    Energy bar
    Tube
    Mini pump
    Tyre levers

Could have shoe horned a bit more in if I had wanted to.
    Took an extra tube, cleat covers, and my mobile in my back pockets, quite nice to feel a bit less encumbered, a good buy for my needs, though not particularly good vfm.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I got a Lezyne Road Caddy recently after I lost (it fell off), my previous SciCon Elan.

I like it- the velcro webbing is far more substantial than the SciCon.

In it I get:

1 tube
    Cpl levers
    1 CO2 can (the trigger goes in my pocket)
    Assorted small bits in the sleeve compartment- instant patches, etc

Can't get much more than that in it, but I don;t want anything more than that under my saddle

Same here. I get pretty much the same in it - tube, 2 levers, co2 can and trigger plus a small muti-tool and a couple of disposable gloves.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The Road Caddy is best of the bunch for saddle bags, but I've now gone for one of these in my centre back pocket.

https://www.mackworkshop.com/products/jersey-pouch