Where to stay in the Cotswolds?

PlodderD
PlodderD Posts: 10
edited May 2019 in Tour & expedition
So, last week in May my Daughter is off with her Mum to Menorca, Wife does n’t want to go anywhere as her daughter is in the middle of GCSE’s. Thinking about going somewhere flat-ish with nice scenery (I live NW of Cambridge) and the Cotswolds is a possibility. Anybody know anywhere bike friendly to stay, ideally not too expensive and in the north east of the region?

Anywhere else I should be considering?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Cotswolds are not flat-ish, especially compared to Cambridgeshire. Plenty of lovely cycling, but a lot of up and down
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not sure Cotswolds and not too expensive belong in the same sentence either...

Norfolk's flatter and cheaper

I'm in Newmarket and I'm headed to the N. Yorks Moors to find some climbs
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    No shortage of accommodation in the north Bristol area, eg Almondsbury Interchange Hotel is just off the M5 with the Cotswolds a stone throw away, or the Wye Valley just over the bridge.
  • Taylor1968
    Taylor1968 Posts: 16
    Cotswolds are not flat-ish, especially compared to Cambridgeshire. Plenty of lovely cycling, but a lot of up and down

Ok, was comparing to like Snowdonia, Yorkshire or Scotland.
  • Taylor1968
    keef66 wrote:
    Not sure Cotswolds and not too expensive belong in the same sentence either...

Norfolk's flatter and cheaper

I'm in Newmarket and I'm headed to the N. Yorks Moors to find some climbs

Thanks, Fakenham is on the list :-)
  • Taylor1968
    craker wrote:
    No shortage of accommodation in the north Bristol area, eg Almondsbury Interchange Hotel is just off the M5 with the Cotswolds a stone throw away, or the Wye Valley just over the bridge.

Thanks, this is a bit far away, hence my request for NE Cotswolds, but appreciate the input.
    (I have considered this carefully as it would include a trip to the Rapha Archive store!).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    If you are talking about the Shepton store then you could do Somerset - everything from pan flat on the levels to steep climbs up to the Mendips or Quantocks as well as lots of lumpy country lanes.
    Shepton is a bit of a dump but near Wells or Glasto which is interesting for tattoos, beards and crystals (the festival site is nearer to Shepton).

Edit - sorry, I missed the NE Cotswolds bit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    There's a YHA youth hostel just outside Stratford on Avon... it's a nice building and they do breakfasts too

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-stratford-upon-avon
    left the forum March 2023
  • PlodderD
    PlodderD Posts: 10
    There's a YHA youth hostel just outside Stratford on Avon... it's a nice building and they do breakfasts too

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-stratford-upon-avon

Looks lovely, sadly full :-(
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Air B n B has always worked for me and the good lady when looking for Bike Friendly accommodation whilst touring. See where you want to stay and just search Air B n B in the area. Dead easy and the "one to one" booking means that you can check the cycle-friendliness. As most are in peoples houses, they are usually able to accomodate your bike somehow and, on a tour of SE Ireland, every single place we stayed laundered our bibs and jerseys. I'd be surpeised if there aren't dozens of suitable places in the cotswolds
    Wilier Izoard XP