Giro 2019: Stage 4: Orbetello - Frascati 235 km, *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Stage 4: Orbetello - Frascati 235 km
Tuesday, May 14th

START TIME: 11.15 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

Tuesday 14 May - At 235 kilometres, the long 4th stage of the Giro d'Italia travels from Orbetello to Frascati, a town just southeast of Rome. Following a race on rolling roads the last 5 kilometres slope at around 5%.

nJQDdhS.jpg?1

T04_Frascati_alt_jpg.jpg

There is only one categorized climb, Manciano (GPM4, 8 km at 3.7%), which is also the first difficulty of the day.
The first hill is crested and at kilometre 63 the riders reach the highest point of the day in Poggio Evangelista.

giro-d-italia-2019-stage-4-climb-4f5dc61f6a.jpg

The course continues in similar fashion across the countryside of the regions Tuscia and Lazio.
The Giro passes east of Rome to head for a promising finale. With 5 kilometres remaining the route descends to a final kick-up of 2 kilometres. The slope fluctuates around 4 to 5% while the steepest ramp sits at 7%.

T04_Frascati_ukm_jpg.jpg

The 1998 Giro also included an Orbetello-Frascati stage. The race boiled down to a bunch sprint with Mario Cipollini taking the flowers. The Giro’s last visit in Frascati was in 2007 with another sprint: Robert Forster outgunned Thor Hushovd and Alessandro Petacchi.

Favourites 4th stage 2019 Giro d’Italia
*** Bob Jungels, Enrico Battaglin,
** Mattia Cattaneo, Diego Ulissi, Tony Gallopin
* Fernando Gaviria, Sacha Modolo, Jay McCarthy

FRASCATI
Population 22,450
Frascati is a city and comune in the Metropolitan City of Rome in the Lazio region of central Italy. It is located 20 kilometres (12 mi) south-east of Rome, on the Alban Hills close to the ancient city of Tusculum. Frascati is closely associated with science, being the location of several international scientific laboratories.
It is also known for the Cathedral, the Episcopal Palace, the Church “del Gesù” and the Aldobrandini Stables, now housing the City’s Archaeological Museum.

Rocca%20di%20Papa.jpg

GASTRONOMY
Typical products can be tasted in the famous “fraschettas”.

fraschette-romane.jpg

fraschetteria2-1024x733.jpg

Frascati is a wine city, producing Frascati Superiore and Cannellino (both DOCG) and the Frascati DOP.

frascati.jpg?resize=945%2C639&ssl=1
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Cheers Blazing Saddles. Always good to read these previews and learn something new (although I really should have already known that Lazio was a region of Italy) and work up an appetite/thirst.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Are these stages not quite long?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I don't think that final is enough to see off some of the better climbers amongst the sprinters. Could see Gaviria or Demare hanging on to contest it.
  • andyp wrote:
    I don't think that final is enough to see off some of the better climbers amongst the sprinters. Could see Gaviria or Demare hanging on to contest it.

Ewan likes an uphill finish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    andyp wrote:

Surely his ridiculous position is even worse on an uphill?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Another rider leaves the race

D6hLcGPX4AENJXW.jpg:large
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    :lol: seemingly unusual.......
  • Alejandrosdog
    on the plus side this could be quite good today or a long transition
  • on the plus side this could be quite good today or a long transition

I'm looking forward to it, think the parcours could produce an exciting stage.
  • blazing_saddles
    on the plus side this could be quite good today or a long transition

I'm looking forward to it, think the parcours could produce an exciting stage.

Indeed.
    The kms preceding the finishing climb are fairly tough with some biting gradients.

Matti Breschel abandons.
    Well, his season only usually lasts 3 or 4 weeks in Spring in any case.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Matti Breschel abandons.
    Well, his season only usually lasts 3 or 4 weeks in Spring in any case.
    I was surprised that he was still going when his named popped up on a results sheet recently
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Fair play to UAE.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    I really don't like having this race chat on split screen with the race. Have one or the other, as both end up as just a distraction.
  • mididoctors
    Lloyd and Roche talking watts is ok. The unwritten rules stuff is tired
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    andyp wrote:

Surely his ridiculous position is even worse on an uphill?

Downhill would be amusing...
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    Signs of life in the bunch and maybe even signs of a crosswind, not that a it's anywhere near klaxon time.
  • Alejandrosdog
    I'd have thought that even though there's a long way to go but those signs of life are probably necessary unless everyones happy with the break winning
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Must say I do like the presentation format on Eurosport UK.
    Good knowledgeable guests, engaging presenter and live interaction on social media. Saves the commentators from the dead space of talking for 5 hours and they are always ready to jump back into live pictures if anything dramatic happens.
    Also a bonus that they have packed Kirby off to California so we don't have to listen to his Bulls*it.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    14km to go and break of two under 50 seconds
  • blazing_saddles
    James Knox and Campenaerts hit the deck.
  • mididoctors
    Knox crashed again
  • blazing_saddles
    Break caught and it's starting to rain.
  • blazing_saddles
    Huge crash at 6kms out.
  • rick_chasey
    looks like Katusha was mullered hard in that crash.
  • mididoctors
    You could feel that coming
  • blazing_saddles
    Small group left. Roglic there, Landa, but no Yates, Nibali and Dumoulin has crashed!
  • rick_chasey
    Big split.
  • Mad_Malx
    Roglic missed crash but Yates & Nibbles delayed
  • Mad_Malx
    and Tom been down