Groin pain - only when doing butterfly stretch type movements

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
I've had a a bit of a niggle in the nether regions since around Christmas. Somewhat strange as cycling doesn't seem to make it worse, but then again it virtually the only exercise I have been doing since the beginning of the year.

It doesn't bother me a great deal, but would like to get fixed at some point.

Basically it is quite/very painful when I rotate my hips outwards, as in the classic sitting butterfly stretch. It is also extremely noticeable when dismounting the bike. Oh, and it is painful on both sides.

I can stretch the hips in other directions with no pain. Also, I used to have no issues with butterfly stretches.

Any ideas, before I go and see a physio.
Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Only groin issue I've ever encountered was when son tore his adductor doing long jump at school. That by all accounts was very painful. Quickly diagnosed by the GP. No idea if that's what you've done though, but it could be something else to Google to see if the symptoms match.

NSAIDS, rest and being an otherwise fit 17 year old meant a fairly quick recovery for son.
  • SI Joint?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • CptKernow
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure it fits either the above. Will book in with a physio if it gets any worse
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    CptKernow wrote:
    I've had a a bit of a niggle in the nether regions since around Christmas. Somewhat strange as cycling doesn't seem to make it worse, but then again it virtually the only exercise I have been doing since the beginning of the year.

It doesn't bother me a great deal, but would like to get fixed at some point.

Basically it is quite/very painful when I rotate my hips outwards, as in the classic sitting butterfly stretch. It is also extremely noticeable when dismounting the bike. Oh, and it is painful on both sides.

I can stretch the hips in other directions with no pain. Also, I used to have no issues with butterfly stretches.

Any ideas, before I go and see a physio.
    Thanks
    I had something similar many years ago when doing cyclocross. It seemed to have been caused by leaping in and out of the saddle. Physio gave me several stretch’s to do which stretched the abductors.
    I would get booked into see a physio.
  • def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    Careful it's not a labrum issue. Definitely see a physio and ask for an MRI if x-ray shows nothing and pain continues.
  • CptKernow
    Def Defyr wrote:
    Careful it's not a labrum issue. Definitely see a physio and ask for an MRI if x-ray shows nothing and pain continues.
    Thanks. Will bear in mind.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Could be linked to adductors as that is what a butterfly stretch is stretching. See what the physio says.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • CptKernow
    Went to see physio today. She seemed to think it was the usual tight glutes / hip flexors and over-arching issues.

Not entirely convinced as it is quite a sharp pain and came on relatively abruptly. Will give it a week or so and see if anything improves.
  • Hernia?
  • CptKernow
    Hernia?
    Don't think so - to deep in the hip and no pain when I tense up my abs. I think the physio checked for this too.
  • CptKernow
    Something occurred to me today. Unclipping from my Look Keo pedals seems to aggravate this - not so with my SPD-SL pedals. Takes a good twist to get out of the Keos.

I only started using them towards the end of last summer. Am wondering if this might be the cause of the problem?
  • CptKernow
    This seems to add support to my idea above: https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/favero- ... on/9163/28