Fractured pelvis

jimmysplash
jimmysplash Posts: 30
Strange one but its got me thinking.
Got knocked off my MTB and fractured my pelvis. 2 weeks in hospital, discharged with crutches. Not particularly coping well.
Has anyone else bust their hop and how long it was before you were back up and walking unaided and maybe getting back your bike?

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Can depend partly on the nature and specific location of the fracture.

It's a bit like fracturing a rib. It sodding hurts and you can't put it in a cast. You just have to take it easy and see what you can manage. If it heals ok then it's more about comfort levels and pain management. You doc might be able to give you an idea of what is sensible.

My mate did something similar in his pelvic region and was off the bike for a few weeks. He was back riding about 6-8 weeks later I think, but he is a bit hardcore. He had a fair amount of pain but physically he was `healed` enough to ride a bike (albeit in discomfort).

He chipped/cracked a small bit of bone so his injury could be far less than yours. See how you get on and go from there. Don't rush it and get sensible medical/physio advice.

Hope you heal quickly and sorry to hear about your accident.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Ouch! I'll bet that hurt, a lot! :shock:

The pelvis is right at the core of your existence, as one of the key building blocks of your skeleton. If it doesn't work properly then neither will you! :shock:

So take it steady, do as the medics tell you and if you can see a physio, or get some advice, then do it. The consequence of a badly healed pelvis will be with you for life, and it will hurt a lot more when you get older, so don't muck about, do it right. Be patient, take some extra time, be sure, and get well soon. :D
  • jimmysplash
    jimmysplash Posts: 30
    Thanks guys. Its the socket ive knackered .
    I
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Thanks guys. Its the socket ive knackered .
    I

Ouch.

How long is a piece of string?

Google says this, so it must be true:

"Physical therapy, the use of crutches and, rarely, surgery may be recommended. Healing can take eight to 12 weeks."

Just take it easy and see how you get on.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • yonny
    yonny Posts: 36
    My brother smashed his pelvis up in a car crash, took him months to recover. A fracture shouldn't take too long though buddy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    yonny wrote:
    My brother smashed his pelvis up in a car crash, took him months to recover. A fracture shouldn't take too long though buddy.

You do know that Fractured is just the medical term for broken?

Even if we had your X-rays to look at (it's been done before on here) we're not the best people to be telling you about your particular injuries or the prognosis for recovery. Go back to your GP or the hospital if you're not making the progress you were led to believe you would.
  • yonny
    keef66 wrote:
    I thought a fracture was a crack/partial break, as opposed to a clean break. My mistake.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    yonny wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I thought a fracture was a crack/partial break, as opposed to a clean break. My mistake.

Lots of people think that. Not sure why. Possibly because crack and frac sound similar. Google for some pictures of open fractures if you're still unsure... :D
  • yonny
    keef66 wrote:
    Lots of people think that. Not sure why.

No idea. It's odd because I've had loads of fractured bones and a few breaks (not that there's a difference I've just found out lol) so you'd have thought I'd know!!